Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview stage documents

Interview stage documents

Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

stevodric81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview stage documents

My USC wife and have been living and working here in the UK as optometrists since 2008. We intend to go to Boston to do an Optometry bridging program which starts in May 2016. We are in the process of applying for this program and are not guaranteed acceptance. Regardless we intend moving to Houston where my wife is from and find jobs just after Christmas. I have already had my medical and am in the process of sorting the I-864. If my father in law is willing to be a joint sponsor, would we still need to show evidence of a US job offer? Should we also show evidence of applying to Boston (we wont know if we are accepted until after christmas)? Also what are the best ways to show proof that my wifeintends to be re-domiciled in the US?
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview stage documents

Originally Posted by stevodric81
If my father in law is willing to be a joint sponsor, would we still need to show evidence of a US job offer?
No.

Should we also show evidence of applying to Boston (we wont know if we are accepted until after christmas)?
No. If you're pursuing an IR-1 (spouse) visa you don't need to show any evidence outside of your wife's intent to domicile.

Also what are the best ways to show proof that my wifeintends to be re-domiciled in the US?
Intent to domicile is composed of 2 things - wrapping up her affairs in the UK, and starting over in the US. Things like a quote from an estate agent that you're giving up your house, job termination letter, quote from a moving company... and then evidence of job hunting in the US, finding new living quarters in the US, schools for children, etc.

Keep in mind that immigration is a 2-step process. I'm guessing she has already filed an I-130 and that has been approved. Since you're talking about an I-864, I'm guessing you're at the second step - applying for the visa. Keep in mind that not only must your joint sponsor complete an I-864, your wife must also complete an I-864 whether she qualifies financially or not.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Ian.
Yes the I-130 has been aproved. What is the timeline roughly from informing the embassy in London that I'm ready for interview to actually getting the visa. How soon after initial entry on a green card can i return to the uk?
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's about 6 to 8 weeks from notifying the embassy to getting visa in hand.

Once you use the Immigrant visa to enter the USA, you become a US PR immediately. You can then take the next flight out of the USA, if you want to. If you need to go back to the UK to wrap things up, that's fine, just don't stay out too long. .. no more than a few months. Make sure you have a stable US mailing address, as your green card and SS Card will be mailed there.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, you aren't entering on a green card. You're entering on an immigrant visa.

Don't forget that your USC spouse must enter the USA ahead of you, or at the same time as you. She can't stay behind in the UK when you first come over.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions but just one more if you can. As my wife's current income in the uk is irrelevant should she leave part 6 of the I-864 blank?
Old Aug 10th 2015, 11:19 pm

I don't know what part 6 is asking for off the top of my head. She should answer all questions as they apply on the date she signs the I-864. If the question asks her to list current income, and she currently has income, she should list it.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2015, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevodric81
As my wife's current income in the uk is irrelevant should she leave part 6 of the I-864 blank?
If the question asks for her income, and she has some, she should put it down. The question doesn't ask about qualifying income... only income.

Ian