Reload this Page >

Immigration medical & self-harm

Immigration medical & self-harm

Old May 28th 2015, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

FlatStanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration medical & self-harm

Hi.

A quick question about the visa medical: Is depression from some years ago likely to lead to me failing the medical and getting denied a visa?

I went to the GP about 8 years ago with depression due to anxiety. I was self-harming. No suicidal attempts, although admitted to doc I'd had suicidal thoughts. I was prescribed antidepressants and was off work for about four months. I've had no further episodes or related issues since then.

I'm planning on marrying my girlfriend from NYC and moving there to be with her. We haven't started the visa application process yet - I'm gathering as much information as I can about the process and what we can expect before we start, If I'm likely to fail the medical and not get a visa I'd like to know now, instead of several months down the line.

Any information gratefully received. Thanks for your help.
Old May 28th 2015, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration medical & self-harm

Get a letter from your GP detailing the history of your problem and the resolution and current condition. The magic phrase that needs to be in the letter is "there is no risk of harm to self or others".

Most likely your visa will not be denied because of this.

Rene
Old May 28th 2015, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Rene - get a letter from your GP outlining your treatment and prognosis. I doubt this will be an issue.

Ian
Old May 28th 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. That's a relief. I'll build that into the timeline.

This is a brilliant site. I've read lots of what other people have posted and the replies given - it's great that there is such an excellent resource available with people willing to help and share their knowledge and experiences. Thank you all.
Old May 29th 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Ali M is an unknown quantity at this point

I would add, if you can, build in plenty of time between the medical and the visa interview. My husband spent a few days in a psychiatric hospital due to severe depression about 10 years ago, and although he took the letter as others have described to his medical, he was then required to get a full medical history sent to Knightsbridge, which obviously took time. He didn't, therefore, have his medical complete by the time of his interview, and that delayed the decision on his visa. The good news is that he didn't get held up by his mental health history. (Unfortunately, but predictably, however, he is having to go through the visa waiver process for a 24 year old cannabis conviction.) Good luck, you shouldn't have any problem, but be prepared to provide more information from your medical records.
Old May 29th 2015, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip. I'll bear it in mind.