i864 Question

Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

life2searching is an unknown quantity at this point
Question i864 Question

Hi all,

Medical complete!
Just need to finish the i864's and we are ready for CR1 interview.

My wife is a US Citizen, and the petitioner.
I am the UK Citizen: the intended immigrant.

We live together in London, both with full time jobs, for past 5 years.

My father in law is the joint sponsor, US citizen above poverty threshold etc.

RE: Page 4, Part 5 (Sponsor's Household Size)

For my wifes i864 household size, I assume she enters 2 in total: one for her, and one for me.

For my father in laws i864, does he also enter 2 (one for him, one for me)
or does he enter 3 (one for him, one for me, one for my wife)

And if the latter, what category does she fall under in the "persons not sponsored in this affidavit" list - would it be "any other dependents"?

It's confusing, since she doesn't live in his household currently, obviously she lives with me. But we do have to put his address as the "where do you intend to reside" on all the forms so far. I have a firm job offer pending visa approval now, so we actually intend to get our own place once we arrive in the US.

I couldn't find any completed example i864's online that use the latest 2015 format. If anyone has one for a petitioner+co sponsor, that would be amazingly helpful for myself and many others, I am sure!
Old Dec 14th 2015, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i864 Question

Originally Posted by life2searching
For my wifes i864 household size, I assume she enters 2 in total: one for her, and one for me.
Correct, assuming no children.

For my father in laws i864, does he also enter 2 (one for him, one for me) or does he enter 3 (one for him, one for me, one for my wife)
If your FIL is not married and lives alone - then 2... him and you. If he's married and his wife lives with him - then 3... him, the wife and you. If he has dependent children at home - then x... him, wife, kids, and you. His income needs to be appropriate for the size of his household + you. That's where the I-864P comes in.

Your wife is not part of his household and so is not counted by him. Besides, she's a USC... she doesn't need sponsoring.

It's confusing, since she doesn't live in his household currently, obviously she lives with me.
Correct... don't let your common sense take a beating!

But we do have to put his address as the "where do you intend to reside" on all the forms so far.
No, you don't have to. You can put "unknown" if that's the truth. Don't confuse where you'll be staying temporarily with where you'll be residing. If you don't know, say so... it's a perfectly acceptable response.

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for such a fast response! Makes total sense.

A few other questions that I jotted down while filling out the i864:

1) My wifes US passport expires in May 2016, several months after we expect to be done and dusted. But on this form:
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...cklist2014.pdf

it states "The passport(s) must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least eight (8) months of validity from the date the visa is issued."

I am assuming/hoping this only applies to immigrant passports, and NOT the petitioner/joint sponsor?

2) Unless I am blind, I don't see anywhere that states the relationship between me the immigrant, and the joint sponsor? Do they not need to know this?

3) I saw advice somewhere to fill the i864 out in caps. Does this matter?

4) I also saw advice somewhere to answer N/A to questions that do not apply instead of just leaving blank. Does this matter? How OTT should I go with this?

5) I see people talking online about an i864 form with barcode. What is it? Is this something I don't need to worry about with London DCF?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Happy new year everyone!
Please could someone shed some light on our remaining questions? Would be a great weight off our minds. Thank you!
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by life2searching
I am assuming/hoping this only applies to immigrant passports, and NOT the petitioner/joint sponsor?
Correct.

2) Unless I am blind, I don't see anywhere that states the relationship between me the immigrant, and the joint sponsor? Do they not need to know this?
No. The joint sponsor and the immigrant can (and often are) total strangers.

3) I saw advice somewhere to fill the i864 out in caps. Does this matter?
You didn't see that as a requirement in either the I-864 or the I-864 Instructions... so, no. I suggest you stop seeking advice elsewhere!

4) I also saw advice somewhere to answer N/A to questions that do not apply instead of just leaving blank. Does this matter? How OTT should I go with this?
You are not the one who gets to decide whether a question is or is not applicable. I suggest you never put "N/A". Put a dash (--) in the space if you believe something doesn't apply to you (such as a middle name and perhaps you don't have one). Otherwise, if "none" or "0" or "unknown" is the correct response, say so.

5) I see people talking online about an i864 form with barcode. What is it? Is this something I don't need to worry about with London DCF?
I suggest you stop looking to see what other people are talking about... because it's confusing you unnecessarily!

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian! Really appreciate it!