Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I864 - Few quick questions.

I864 - Few quick questions.

Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I864 - Few quick questions.

Hi,

We have been chipping away at the I864 and for the most part its quite straight forward. Its only my wife who is being sponsored and were using our assets.

1) Part 5 (Sponsors house hold size) We keep getting a total of 3 even though there is only my wife and myself?

2) Part 6 - We have included our UK incomes and on line 15 put the total income even though this cant be used towards meeting the poverty level, is this ok or leave it blank?

3) The form I864a is mentioned a few times and were not sure that even applies to us. As I understand it that is used for using a co-sponsor stateside?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I864 - Few quick questions.

1) It should just be two as you have no children and the person you are sponsoring is your wife.

2) Put all income as requested even if it doesn't meet poverty level.

3) 1864a isn't required unless using joint sponsor.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

For 1) are you sure you aren't counting your wife twice? She's automatically counted in one of the other fields.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
For 1) are you sure you aren't counting your wife twice? She's automatically counted in one of the other fields.
Lets break this down,

Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit:

1. Provide the number you entered in Part 3 Item 21 = 1

Persons not sponsored in this affidavit:

2. Yourself = 1

3. If you are currently married enter "1" for your spouse = 1?????

8. Add parts 1-7 to get your house hold size = 3?????
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Lets break this down,

Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit:

1. Provide the number you entered in Part 3 Item 21 = 1

Persons not sponsored in this affidavit:

2. Yourself = 1

3. If you are currently married enter "1" for your spouse = 1?????

8. Add parts 1-7 to get your house hold size = 3?????
Enter 0 for spouse. Don't count same person more than once.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Enter 0 for spouse. Don't count same person more than once.
Cheers Tom - That makes sense now I have re-read the form.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:14 am
Just Joined

GCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud of

All,

I was just starting to look at this form, and noticed that the form on the USCIS website is already expired. It says expiration July 2017. Is this the correct form?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GCShihtzu
All,

I was just starting to look at this form, and noticed that the form on the USCIS website is already expired. It says expiration July 2017. Is this the correct form?

Thanks!
If you look at the drop down section on the USCIS webpage (I864) and select 'Edition Date' it reads

'07/02/15. A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, customers may file using the 07/02/15 edition. Previous editions are also accepted. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.'

The website has not even updated the section that tell you about the version number lol. I'm using the the July 2017 which should be just fine. Out of date forms seems to be a common thing when it comes to immigration paperwork.

Last edited by AndyMan74; Oct 18th 2017 at 9:41 am.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

AndyMan74 is right. This gave me a small panic last month the morning of my interview.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Have just printed out the completed I864 and on the Sponsors Signature box it reads in thick red ink 'Don't Forget To Sign' which is fine but i'm unable to delete it! Anybody else run into this?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Have just printed out the completed I864 and on the Sponsors Signature box it reads in thick red ink 'Don't Forget To Sign' which is fine but i'm unable to delete it! Anybody else run into this?
I just gave it a try. When I clicked on "print", a dialogue box popped up that said "don't forget to sign!" I X'd out of that dialogue box, and the red wording went away. I printed the page, and the red wording does not show up on the hard copy print.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just gave it a try. When I clicked on "print", a dialogue box popped up that said "don't forget to sign!" I X'd out of that dialogue box, and the red wording went away. I printed the page, and the red wording does not show up on the hard copy print.

Rene
Thank you Noorah for your quick reply. it seems that if you don't open the I864(PDF) using adobe from the start then you get errors. My laptop was opening it using Microsoft Reader and then I was opeing that once saved with Adobe. All is well now and thank you again

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it working!

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

GCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud ofGCShihtzu has much to be proud of

Yes indeed, once you press print the red goes away.

On a similar topic, I know the USCIS typically frowns on blanks. But this form is full of blanks (ie: extra sponsors, extra proof, interpreters, etc) and N/A doesn't seem to be an option. Did everyone just leave the blanks "blank"?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GCShihtzu
Yes indeed, once you press print the red goes away.

On a similar topic, I know the USCIS typically frowns on blanks. But this form is full of blanks (ie: extra sponsors, extra proof, interpreters, etc) and N/A doesn't seem to be an option. Did everyone just leave the blanks "blank"?
A lot of the blank fields will not allow you to put anything in them depending on the check box you select but for the ones that do I just put 'N A' in them. Its funny, the instructions indicate to put 'N/A' in boxes that have been left blank yet the form does not allow the use of '/' symbols...nice.