Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. I will get problens??

I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. I will get problens??

Old Feb 9th 2001, 12:07 pm
hmaguiar

1 - I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. The immigration going to
investigate more then others marriages becouse of diferents ages? 2 - When I apply to
residence, how long time the INS going ask me to interviw? I am in Florida. 3 - I need go
in person delivere the forms in INS office, or can I send by mail? Thanks

Old Feb 9th 2001, 12:29 pm
Andy Platt

1 - I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. The
> immigration going to investigate more then others marriages becouse of diferents ages?

It's possible they will investigate a little more thoroughly but if the marriage is
genuine there is not need for concern. There have been many people who have had big
differences in age who have had no problems (for cases where the husband is older and
cases where the wife is older).

> 2 - When I apply to residence, how long time the INS going ask me to interviw? I am in
> Florida.

Where in Florida? You can see the estimates here for the different offices (there are
several in Fl) and have a look at the INS website to find out which office you will use:

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...#anchorFLORIDA

> 3 - I need go in person delivere the forms in INS office, or can I send by mail?

Again it depends on the office. See the AOS experiences here:

http://www.kamya.com/aos/florida.html

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 1:50 pm
tomsgirl2000

Hi There..........

My Tom is twenty years older than me and it wasn't a problem. He's 48 I am 28! As long as
you can prove you are a loving couple in a *real* relationship you will be fine...... I
did worry about the age gap thing, but really it wasn't even an issue.

Keely

Old Feb 9th 2001, 4:42 pm
sine nomine

1 - I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. The
: immigration going to investigate more then others marriages becouse of diferents ages?

my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on the age difference.

for the rest, go to

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...ces/alphad.htm

find florida, and look in the "sub office" column for the city closest to you. click there
and then choose the "about us" link, and you should find out what you need.

--
sine | deb good luck

Old Feb 9th 2001, 5:28 pm
Andy Platt

my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on the
> age difference.

Shocking.

There, somebody's commented now.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:13 pm
Betastar

> > my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on the age difference.
>
> Shocking.
>
> There, somebody's commented now.

Oh, c'mon. You could have done better than that. Hussy works well in this sort of
situation

Betastar (who's husband is 11 years older... he's the hussy!)

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:21 pm
Grinch

Betastar
> (who's husband is 11 years older... he's the hussy!)

Pervert is better

Grinch

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:25 pm
Betastar

> > Betastar (who's husband is 11 years older... he's the hussy!)
>
> Pervert is better

That was my Mom's "pet-name" for the guy I dated when I was in college. He was also 11
years older.

Reinhard she likes. She calls him Reingold. Like the beer.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:33 pm
sine nomine

Andy Platt wrote:

:> my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on the age difference.

: Shocking.

i'm honored.

--
sine | deb who knew never acting her age would pay off someday

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:51 pm
Onigiri

> > my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on
the
> > age difference.
>
> Shocking.
>
> There, somebody's commented now.
>
> Andy.
This "no one" could refer to the mother-of-the-son involved. It usually bothers the mother
a lot when some woman not too younger than herself takes over the attentions of a son. Old
men are consigned to being stupid anyhow; so they get by much easier with mothers, society
as well as with the INS-examiners. There was a recent post by a woman who wondered whether
her relative status ( older, more educated, has a high salary and caucasian ) is going to
be a big handicap for getting the F-1 visa for her Pakistani fiancé, especially when the
Consular official has the final say in that subjective opinion. This chain's original
poster has a big advantage in that he is here in the USA.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 7:46 pm
Onigiri

going to be a big handicap for getting the F-1 visa for her Pakistani

should be K-1

Old Feb 9th 2001, 7:57 pm
Grinch

Reinhard she likes. She calls him Reingold. Like the beer.

Like Judge?

Grinch

Old Feb 9th 2001, 8:33 pm
Betastar

> > Reinhard she likes. She calls him Reingold. Like the beer.
>
> Like Judge?

And the pretzel.

They also call him Heimlich, like the big catepillar in the movie Bugz.

My family can have an odd sense of humor. Thankfully Reinhard enjoys
it.

Betastar

Old Feb 9th 2001, 11:41 pm
Alvena Ferreira

sine nomine wrote:
> my husband is 11 years younger than i am. no one ever commented on the age difference.
>
Cradle robber! <snicker>

haha alvena

Old Feb 10th 2001, 12:13 am
MoonRose13

Dear Hmaguiar,

<< 1 - I married an american citizen 11 years older then me. The immigration going to
investigate more then others marriages becouse of diferents ages? <<

It depends upon the attitude of the INS offical. My husband and I had a problem with one
immigration official at the US Embassy. I am a few years older than my husband. Not as
much as 11 years. I phoned the Embassy to find out what had happened to our applicaiton.
The case worker informed us that our papers were on the bottom of the pile. Then she kept
harping about the few years older I am than my husband is. I firmly let her know I would
not live in the United States without my husband. I was very firm and did not back down.
It was a long process. I lived with my husband during the whole time. I know most people
cannot live in another country for the time it took us. It was worth it. My husband and I
have now been happily married for three-and-a-half years. He has now been in the Untited
States for a bit over a year. His GC is good for ten years.

So I say be very firm. I would also recommend getting a good attorney who specializes in
immigration. He/she can work through all the attitudes some of these INS officials have.
We were told we would not be able to use some of my assets to meet the requirements of
sponsorship. Yet those same type of assets were listed on the application as being
eligible for support. Well, things did change for us. Your age difference is nobody's
business. And remember there are fradulent marriages between people of the same ages.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.