Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I Became a US Citizen Today!

I Became a US Citizen Today!

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile I Became a US Citizen Today!

Wow - it was a very quick process from becoming a Green Card holder to being a US citizen. I thought I'd do a write-up in case anyone is thinking of applying and wondered about the procedures.

I sent in my application and son's application with two cheques @ $680 each, on 9th May (by FedEx) to an address in Texas. I'd downloaded the application form and instructions here and didn't bother using an attorney: http://www.uscis.gov

We received confirmation letters which included an application/tracking reference a few days later.

We had to go for our biometrics (fingerprints/photos) on 30th June at an Application Support Center in Elizabeth, New Jersey (near Newark airport).

My son's interview and test will take place on 11th September at 7.50am (what a poignant date) but mine took place today (22nd August) in a Federal building in Newark, NJ. The appointment was for 1pm but they allow you in 30 minutes beforehand.

At approx 1.20pm a very nice Korean-American officer called me into an office and interviewed me. It was a very quick procedure, just checking that my name, dob etc. were correct and signing a few forms. I had to raise my right hand and pledge that I would truthfully answer all questions; she definitely asked me if I had filed taxes and asked if I needed to pay taxes (ie. was I in arrears?). I did take in all the tax returns from the past 5 years and asked her if she wanted to see them but she said she didn't need to.

She also asked me about my spouse - we came to the US on an intra-company transfer 12 years ago but my spouse went on another expat posting in Singapore in 2008 and is now on another posting in Switzerland. I informed her that we were still married (I'd brought along proof but she said she didn't need to see it). She asked if he had retained his GC but I explained that he'd handed it in at the US Embassy in Singapore. She smiled and said that after becoming a US citizen I could apply to bring him back to the US.

I thought she would ask about all the overseas trips I've made in the past 5 years; I'd listed 15 (now 16 since filing) and had had to do an appendice as I'd run out of space. She just glanced at my form and asked if any of the trips had been for more than six months (they weren't).

For my English written 'test' the officer asked me to write in English "Independence Day is in July". She also asked me to read aloud a simple sentence (can't remember what it was though) and asked if my family members had been helping me to revise for the test. I told her that my son had been throwing in some 'trick' questions and she laughed and said I'd be fine.

From what I can remember the questions I had to answer were:

1. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?

2. We elect a President for how many years?

3. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?

4. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?

5. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

6. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States

You have to get 6 questions out of 10 correct, from a possible 100 potential questions about US Civics. I must have given her the correct answers as she didn't ask me any more (phew!).

She then congratulated me and said that I'd passed and gave me form N-652, Naturalization Interview Results. She ticked 2 boxes:

1. You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government

A) Congratualations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath ceremony.

Newark is one of the locations where one can take the Oath on the same day; some locations don't do this and you have to take it on a future date. The Officer asked me to sign some forms and then to wait in the main waiting room until I was called to 'collect' my envelope; she said it would take more than an hour so suggested I go for lunch and come back. The interview ended at about 1.35pm or 1.40pm.

I went to the cafe downstairs where my son was waiting for me (totally bored!). It was very dingy in there and the food looked very unappetising...I just had a slice of cake but it was inedible.

We returned to the waiting room and had to wait for a long time with maybe 100+ people (applicants and their families). I was given the 'envelope' with my Naturalization Certificate at about 3.45pm and at 4pm those of us with these had to go and wait in the Oath room (it's on the 15th floor and has a panoramic view of NYC and Newark airport). Again, a long boring wait until 4.40pm when the Federal official (maybe a Judge?) gave a short speech about when she arrived in the US as a girl and had a 2 year wait when she applied as a 21 year old in 1984 (fee - $50!) for Citizenship.

We had to watch a video which included scenes from immigrants from the past and scenic views in the US. I can't now remember if this took place before or after the Oath (I've had some bubbly ) but there was the country song "God Bless the USA" with subtitles and we were all encouraged to sing it ()

When we repeated the Oath after the Judge/official we were being closely observed by a lady walking along the row to make sure we were actually speaking the words and not miming them! We were all then congratulated and then had to watch a short video from The President with his congratulations.

It was a relief to have that over and done with in just under 5 hours and tomorrow I'll go to the local PO and apply for my first American passport...

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 23rd 2012 at 3:17 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Became a US Citizen Today!

Congratulations.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Well Done - Must get around to doing mine soon, and surprise Mrs. Express

Jim.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! In time to vote too

I'd get around to doing mine, for the sake of the kids more than anything, but for that almost $700 fee....ouch to that one :/
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Englishmum and thanks for the write-up.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!!

Please don't change your BE name to 'AmericanMum' - it'd just confuse me!!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Sprout vindaloo sandwiches all round...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:08 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

They signed us up for voter registration after (actually before) the ceremony. We had a woman official too. She asked my wife one easy question and me, three tough ones. My wife was a Girl Scout leader and when we came out of the courthouse, the troop was there with a big banner welcoming us. We went to a neighbour's house for a drink with a bunch of friends and they presented us with a flag.

We should now hold a sweepstakes on how long before your first jury summons.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

Did you quote the Simpson's Apu once the ceremony was complete?

"Yes! I am a citizen! Now which way to the welfare office?"

The immigration officials love to hear that one.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

I went through it in Atlanta almost two years ago (November) and my experience was very similar to yours (apart from the spouse in Singapore thing, obviously!).

I arrived here in 1998 on a K1 and we've been married for nearly 15 years, so I had no awkward questions to answer. It was a simple process and, like you, the interviewer stopped after six questions. I had to return at 2pm for a very similar ceremony to the one you described., but had to wait until it was over to get my certificate.

The funny thing was dress. I had read that you needed to dress 'respectfully' and was in what you'd call business casual - khakis and a polo, but another (Asian, possibly Korean or Vietnamese) couple were dressed in the Goth style. They were told that they could not take the oath dressed as they were and they were going up and down the line trying to borrow something suitable! I don't know if they succeeded or not as I never saw them again after that.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:40 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.