Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Courthouse wedding in Kansas

Courthouse wedding in Kansas

Old May 18th 2009, 8:15 am
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough
Default Courthouse wedding in Kansas

Hiya,

We though we had this worked out and that my fiancée was coming here (England to marry in a couple of weeks but it'd be better really if I go there instead.

Is this possible? I have no visa, other than a standard 30 day travel one)

If it is what documentation do I need and do I need anything for the British Embassy?

I have tried the consulate in Kansas but they aren't very helpful or clear on the matter.

I know that everything for her to come here is in place and above board, I just need to know if it's possible for me to go there, time frame, procedure .
Old May 18th 2009, 11:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courthouse wedding in Kansas

Originally Posted by loftedfalcon
Hiya,

We though we had this worked out and that my fiancée was coming here (England to marry in a couple of weeks but it'd be better really if I go there instead.

Is this possible? I have no visa, other than a standard 30 day travel one)
I had assumed you were from the UK. However, since you only a 30 day visa for travel to the US, which country do you originate from that you needed a visa to enter the US?

If it is what documentation do I need and do I need anything for the British Embassy?
If you wish to marry in the US you need nothing from the British Consulate other than the visa you mentioned above.

[qoute]I have tried the consulate in Kansas but they aren't very helpful or clear on the matter.[/quote]

I'm sure that the British Consulate in Kansas would not know about the laws governing marriage in the State of Kansas. (Didn't know there was a British Consulate in Kansas ... I learnt something new.)

I know that everything for her to come here is in place and above board, I just need to know if it's possible for me to go there, time frame, procedure .
Instead of the British Consulate, either you or your fiancee check out the laws regarding marriage qualifications in the State of Kansas. In most states all you need is your passport and divorce decrees from previous marriages. Some require a blood test from both of you. And some require a 3 day or more waiting period after issuance of the marriage license before the ceremony can be performed.

I am, again, assuming you have every intention of marrying and returning to the UK to await the processing of your US I-130 Immediate Relative Visa and/or that you will be applying for your wife's British Spousal Visa for her to live in the UK.
Old May 18th 2009, 12:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loftedfalcon
We though we had this worked out and that my fiancée was coming here (England to marry in a couple of weeks but it'd be better really if I go there instead. Is this possible?
Yes.

I have no visa, other than a standard 30 day travel one)
What is a 30-day standard travel visa? If you have no visa, then it means you are using the VWP, which lets you stay in the USA for up to 90 days without a visa. Is this what you're using?

You do not need anything for or from the British Embassy. Getting married in the USA has nothing to do with them. You will need to do a little google searching to find out what needs to be done to marry in Kansas. In the USA, marriage is a state-specific thing, so you'll need to find out what you need specifically for Kansas. But it has nothing to do with the British Embassy.

I have tried the consulate in Kansas but they aren't very helpful or clear on the matter.
What consulate in Kansas? This is not a matter for any embassy or consulate. Just a matter of Kansas State law.

Keep in mind that if she has everything in place right now to come to the UK as your fiancee, that once you marry in Kansas she will be your spouse (not your fiancee), so she might need a different visa (spouse visa) rather than a fiancee visa to enter the UK as your spouse (rather than your fiancee). I don't know the specifics on that, but something you need to look into, just in case she needs a different sort of visa as your spouse, and no longer your fiancee.

Rene
Old May 18th 2009, 12:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a start on what you'll need to know to get married in Kansas. It says it is also county-specific, so do further research according the specific county you'll be marrying in.

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag...s/p/kansas.htm

Rene