I-864 Vs I-864W

Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Dunn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-864 Vs I-864W

hello everybody,

Unfortunately we are still stuck in administrative processing, and it's been 1 full year. I don't know what else to do, although I was thinking of filing a writ of mandamus against the state department.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's possible that the Department of State is doing its job. But I guess you won't know without filing.

Regards, JEff
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunn
hello everybody,

Unfortunately we are still stuck in administrative processing, and it's been 1 full year. I don't know what else to do, although I was thinking of filing a writ of mandamus against the state department.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
You might want to enlist the assistance of your congressman or senator, as suggested earlier in this thread. My guess is that the answer will be "it's pending", but you can inquire.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Finally some movement with our case. We got email asking that we undergo the medical exam once again because it is expired.

Wife has made an appointment with the Knightsbridge Doctors and all seems well for now, except I have one concern.

The Doctors need their passports for identification, but these are currently held by the embassy. We asked if my wife could use her drivers license for identification and the children their birth certificates. We were told that it would do, but the only form of ID they'd accept for my kids were their passports. So what should we do?

Should we contact the embassy and ask that they return the passports, or is there some other way for them to go through these medical exams without their passports?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The Doctors need their passports for identification, but these are currently held by the embassy. We asked if my wife could use her drivers license for identification and the children their birth certificates. We were told that it would do, but the only form of ID they'd accept for my kids were their passports. So what should we do?

Should we contact the embassy and ask that they return the passports, or is there some other way for them to go through these medical exams without their passports?
Perhaps you can just present a photocopy of the children's passports. Bring along the birth certificates as a backup/additional documentation.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that it would do, but the only form of ID they'd accept for my kids were their passports. So what should we do?
Go with the identification that you have available. It'll either be acceptable or it won't. It's the doctor's decision (not the front-office staff) with respect to what ID to accept.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Perhaps you can just present a photocopy of the children's passports. Bring along the birth certificates as a backup/additional documentation.

Rene
Unfortunately when we mailed the passports to the embassy we forgot to keep some copies.

Does anyone know what the best number to contact the London embassy is nowadays, because the number we used to call to get the email code is no longer working?

Thanks

Last edited by Dunn; Feb 10th 2014 at 6:21 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:05 pm

Unfortunately when we mailed the passports to the embassy we forgot to keep some copies.

Does anyone know what the best number to contact the London embassy is nowadays, because the number we used to call to get the email code is no longer working?

Thanks
http://london.usembassy.gov/contact.html

Rene
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Finally, after 1 full year and 3 months after their interview at the embassy, my wife and kids have received their visas.

I'm very happy that the visas were issued and I can't wait for them to get to U.S. soon.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, after 1 full year and 3 months after their interview at the embassy, my wife and kids have received their visas.
Outstanding! Congratulations!

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian,

Although I had no choice but to hire the services of a lawyer to get things moving with the State Department, I am glad that that whole waiting ordeal is over with.(As soon as my lawyer contacted our local D.A's office and asked them that they get involved with our case, it was only a few days after that the embassy contacted us telling us that they were now ready to continue processing our case)

Ian, with the issued visas came instructions telling us to pay the USCIS a $165 fee for green card production for my wife and kids.

I understand that my wife needs to receive a green card, however I was under the impression that once my kids arrive in the United States that they become automatic US citizens and as such could apply for a US passport immediately.

Am I wrong to assume this? Without getting a green card, can I apply for a US passport for my children since they already have the 1yr green card stamp on their visa?

Thanks

Last edited by Dunn; Mar 19th 2014 at 6:54 am.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Ian, with the issued visas came instructions telling us to pay the USCIS a $165 fee for green card production for my wife and kids.

I understand that my wife needs to receive a green card, however I was under the impression that once my kids arrive in the United States that they become automatic US citizens and as such could apply for a US passport immediately.
I expect the instructions were generic. You're correct... the children will become US citizens immediately upon entry and won't require green cards.

Am I wrong to assume this?
No.

Without getting a green card, can I apply for a US passport for my children since they already have the 1yr green card stamp on their visa?
Yes. They won't (or, at least, shouldn't) get an I-551 stamp on their visas... since they aren't eligible to get a green card if they are US citizens.

Ian
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian,

I intend on applying for US passports, for them, once they get here.

I read somewhere that they would also need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship as well, but won't a passport suffice as proof of citizenship by itself?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

I read somewhere that they would also need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship as well, but won't a passport suffice as proof of citizenship by itself?
They don't need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship... but, over time, passports get lost or expire, and perhaps the documents supporting their visas gets mislaid. Many years from now, it may not be so easy to gather stuff back togeteher... but with a CoC, the US government will have a copy and will always know that they are, in fact, US citizens. While it's not a requirement, it's a really, really good idea to have one!

Ian