Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Sponsor Question - Domicile??

I-864 Sponsor Question - Domicile??

Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road
Default I-864 Sponsor Question - Domicile??

Hi all, I am a US citizen and moved to the UK when I was just a child. I am all grown up and currently am applying for my husbands visa. His interview is fast approaching and i am looking over paperwork and have realised that my country of domicile has to be the US for me to even fill this form in (i-864), right?

But then I go on to read what it means and actually, I have no evidence or any proof that my country of Domicile is the US. I have lived in the UK for 17 years but always planned on moving back some day and definitely feel that the US is my home. Has anyone else been in this situation? How can I prove that the US is my country of Domicile without even a bank account? Most of my family still live there and our two children are too young to register for a school I think.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Sponsor Question - Domicile??

In your situation it's "intent to domicile" which is important, and the answer is very nebulous. You should collect things that, (i) show you are winding down your life in the UK - so evidence of contact with an estate agent to sell your home or a draft of notice to end your rental agreement, contact with movers to ship your things, a draft resignation letter for your job, etc. and then (ii) show you are moving to the US - so searches for accommodation, work, perhaps with day care for your children, etc.

That said, the US consulate in London seems to pay scant regard to evidence of intent to domicile, and by way of evidence I would point to the case of someone who came to BE a few months ago. He had just been given an IR-1 visa but he had absolutely no intention of domiciling in the US and was wondering how he could keep his green card alive for a decade or more when he had almost no connection to the US other than through his wife, and no plans to make a substantial connection with the US.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Embrta
... and have realised that my country of domicile has to be the US for me to even fill this form in (i-864), right?
You realize incorrectly. Intent to domicile is sufficient.

Ian
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You realize incorrectly. Intent to domicile is sufficient.

Ian
Thank you, that's a huge relief 😌
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In your situation it's "intent to domicile" which is important, and the answer is very nebulous. You should collect things that, (i) show you are winding down your life in the UK - so evidence of contact with an estate agent to sell your home or a draft of notice to end your rental agreement, contact with movers to ship your things, a draft resignation letter for your job, etc. and then (ii) show you are moving to the US - so searches for accommodation, work, perhaps with day care for your children, etc.

That said, the US consulate in London seems to pay scant regard to evidence of intent to domicile, and by way of evidence I would point to the case of someone who came to BE a few months ago. He had just been given an IR-1 visa but he had absolutely no intention of domiciling in the US and was wondering how he could keep his green card alive for a decade or more when he had almost no connection to the US other than through his wife, and no plans to make a substantial connection with the US.
Thanks for sharing this. It is very helpful. I don't have a lot of evidence to show but hopefully it will be enough.