Reload this Page >

I-864 specific questions

I-864 specific questions

Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

hisokajp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 specific questions

Hi All,
We are working on our I-864 form (toughest part in my opinion) and after checking a good dozen threads here, info/faq from US embassy as well as the official instruction, I still had some questions to make sure everything is clear.

My wife is the USC and we are both living in the UK at the moment, she is self employed and I am an employee.

1) I tried to look it up but could not find a filled sample of the I-864?

2) The Embassy site clearly state only most recent USC tax return copy is required but people and the instruction mentioned last 3, better safe than sorry?

3) Part 6, section 5 and 10, should the value be filled even if my wife/household salary will not be used/count since we will lose our UK wage?

4) I could only locate the 2013 poverty guidelines, I am guessing they are the latest? Also, the latest average currency exchange are dated from 2012?
Based on the above, using only asset, with an household of three (the wife, me and our baby girl) we would be looking at 24,412*3=$73,236 * 0.656 = £48,042.82 if I am not wrong.

5) We will use our assets (actually just mine since the wife does not really have any) since I am the petitioner we will not fill any I-864a. As far the supporting document for the cash in my bank account, I have gathered 12 month worth of official bank statement.
For our shares from iii.co.uk, what would be the best documentation to provide there? I can only apparently print portfolio value online, is that sufficient?

6) the next one is the one I found most ambiguous, regarding the domicile requirement and the "credible combination of steps to re-establish a residence in the US". Looking at other people post and our situation, I was thinking of gathering:
-Email confirmation from my US company HR that we have a signed job offer ready once my Visa and approve and that they will arrange re-location of me and my family to the US. My wife will stay as a house wife until our daughter goes to preschool next year.
-Looking up and printing listing of place to rent.
-Printing information regarding pre-school our child can register at the following year (she is only 1.5 year old now)
-A copy of an email from our landlord acknowledging our plans of moving out once the US visa is approved.
Anything else good to add? Would that be enough?

thank you!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 specific questions

Originally Posted by hisokajp
I tried to look it up but could not find a filled sample of the I-864?
You likely won't find one.

The Embassy site clearly state only most recent USC tax return copy is required but people and the instruction mentioned last 3, better safe than sorry?
Include the previous 3 years' worth of tax returns.

Part 6, section 5 and 10, should the value be filled even if my wife/household salary will not be used/count since we will lose our UK wage?
Yes.

I could only locate the 2013 poverty guidelines, I am guessing they are the latest? Also, the latest average currency exchange are dated from 2012?
Yes, 2013 is the most recent. Use www.xe.com for up-to-date exchange rates.

Based on the above, using only asset, with an household of three (the wife, me and our baby girl) we would be looking at 24,412*3=$73,236 * 0.656 = £48,042.82 if I am not wrong.
Assuming an accurate exchange rate, correct.

For our shares from iii.co.uk, what would be the best documentation to provide there? I can only apparently print portfolio value online, is that sufficient?
You have what you have. Take screen captures and print those if you have to.

Anything else good to add? Would that be enough?
Keep in mind that demonstrating intent to domicile is as much about starting a new life in the US, as it is about wrapping up your affairs in the UK. So... a valuation of your current property; arrangements with an estate agent; letter of resignation from your current employment; etc.

Generally speaking, the anxiety expended proving intent to domicile is inversely proportional to the interviewing officer's expectations.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 11th 2014 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:29 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

1) I tried to look it up but could not find a filled sample of the I-864?
What attempt did you actually make?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=I-864+sample
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:04 am
Just Joined

hisokajp is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for the detailed answer

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes.
In that case, since my wife became self employed a few month back and our income is very irregular, should we just "estimate" what it would be over a year as an average? Would they need any kind of supporting evidence if we are not using it to prove financial support

You have what you have. Take screen captures and print those if you have to.
Ok, thanks we will do that, I may try to contact the site and see if there is anything more "official"

Keep in mind that demonstrating intent to domicile is as much about starting a new life in the US, as it is about wrapping up your affairs in the UK. So... a valuation of your current property; arrangements with an estate agent; letter of resignation from your current employment; etc.
Generally speaking, the anxiety expended proving intent to domicile is inversely proportional to the interviewing officer's expectations.
ok, makes sense, we are renting so we would only get an email to our landlord, resignation letter to my employment is a good addition too.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What attempt did you actually make?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=I-864+sample
I did try that, I should have been clearer, I could not find a sample that really applied for a USC living abroad nor a recent sample actually using the current template.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, since my wife became self employed a few month back and our income is very irregular, should we just "estimate" what it would be over a year as an average?
If the question asks for her annual income in 2014, yes... otherwise, she can just use the amount entered on her most recent income tax return. Don't expend too much energy on this... if you're using assets for the I-864, that'll trump whatever income amount she enters.

Would they need any kind of supporting evidence if we are not using it to prove financial support
Not likely, no. I'll add here that for all financial paperwork, use $US instead of £UK. Don't force the person reviewing the paperwork to convert.

I could not find a sample that really applied for a USC living abroad nor a recent sample actually using the current template.
The form hasn't really changed much in at least 15 years, and whether the USC is living abroad or not is irrelevant... the form is completed the same.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Spookie is an unknown quantity at this point

The answer above raises a question with me. In my appointment letter for my interview (Next week), it clearly states that I should NOT at this stage resign my job. Should I just write a letter of resignation and take it along to the interview prior to giving it to my employer? Seems odd.

Last edited by Spookie; Jan 14th 2014 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spookie
Should I just write a letter of resignation and take it along to the interview prior to giving it to my employer? Seems odd.
Yes.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Spookie
In my appointment letter for my interview (Next week), it clearly states that I should NOT at this stage resign my job. Should I just write a letter of resignation and take it along to the interview prior to giving it to my employer?
Yes. Prepare a resignation letter and show it to the officer. Don't forget to sign/date it. The officer isn't going to check with your employer to see whether or not you actually give it to him - but it does demonstrate your intent to leave your current employment... and that helps to demonstrate your intent to domicile in the US.

Ian