Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London interview, proof of financial support.

London interview, proof of financial support.

Old Jul 21st 2011, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Philip.R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London interview, proof of financial support.

Hi everyone.

I'm in the final stages of my K1 visa. Can't wait to get back to my fiancee, really sucks being apart.

I have been motoring along with this process as well as I think can be.
Had my medical 2weeks ago and now have my interview scheduled for Aug 9th in London.

Mild panic this morning. I was reading the list of documents required to take to the interview. (link from the receipt of interview date) http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...plication.html

I have duplicates or copies of everything except a copy of the proof of financial support.
I submitted all documents to get the interview, not realizing I needed to make a copy of the affidavit of support.

What can I do?

Thank you and wish you all well with your process's!

Last edited by Philip.R; Jul 21st 2011 at 10:55 am.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Default Re: London interview, proof of financial support.

Must add, I can get copies of the Tax returns etc that were submitted.

The actual form part, the i-134 I'm really concerned about. Can we just fill out another copy?

gahhh
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Am I reading this site wrong...I'm lost on what I need to take with me to the interview.
I sent the full required packet to get the interview. I have to believe all documents must have been correct and satisfactory, as I have been given an interview date.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

My understanding is you were only supposed to send back the DS-230 pt.1, DS-156, DS-157 and the DS-2001. Everything else you are supposed to take with you on your interview date including your I-134... that's how my Fiance and I have been reading it, however. And if we're wrong then your question is a great one to clear things up for us!

On receipt of the Forms DS-230-I, DS-156, DS-157 and form DS-2001, the Immigrant Visa Unit will complete all necesary administrative processing of your visa application.
http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philip.R
Must add, I can get copies of the Tax returns etc that were submitted.

The actual form part, the i-134 I'm really concerned about. Can we just fill out another copy?

gahhh
You didn't follow the directions that told you to keep your documents to take to the interview. But they should be in your file so don't worry about it. The reason they say make copies is so they can file the copy and return the original. Likely the originals you want back are birth certificate, marriage or divorce records. Most people don't really need copies of the Affidavit of support because surely you saved a copy to the computer. The embassy doesn't need but one copy of each document. If all you gave them was originals, then they'll be keeping the original.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Moxie
You didn't follow the directions that told you to keep your documents to take to the interview. But they should be in your file so don't worry about it. The reason they say make copies is so they can file the copy and return the original. Likely the originals you want back are birth certificate, marriage or divorce records. Most people don't really need copies of the Affidavit of support because surely you saved a copy to the computer. The embassy doesn't need but one copy of each document. If all you gave them was originals, then they'll be keeping the original.
I re-read through all the info I was sent/online for packet 3. There was no mention of making copies to keep for myself.
I collect all my fiancee's doc, filed out my doc's, sent all the documents asked for in packet 3, including all duplicates, unsigned doc's, copies of tax returns etc. There must not have been an issue with the forms I sent, giving I have had my interview scheduled.

I'm pretty lost on the wording or, what is required to take to the interview (not whats require to get the interview). I've been reading all morning and still confused, one official (US gov site) page reads like I need to have a copy of the affidavit of support for the interview, another page (again Gov site) reads like I need these copies to get permanent residence.

My understanding is you were only supposed to send back the DS-230 pt.1, DS-156, DS-157 and the DS-2001. Everything else you are supposed to take with you on your interview date including your I-134... that's how my Fiance and I have been reading it, however. And if we're wrong then your question is a great one to clear things up for us!
Well I sent all the documents including affidavit of support, birth certif etc. I have had the interview scheduled. One would hope, either I was right to do this and don't need to take it, or I was mistaken and they will hold them in my file.

If I have been mistaken, should I contact them to check what the procedure in this event? and if so who do I call?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Philip.R; Jul 21st 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

I thought it was just the CR1/IR1 visa people who sent in ALL documents. I thought K1's brought it all to interview with them, or maybe this is just those who go DCF?

Then again I may be getting confused. But I have seen alot of posts I thought were K1 people bring their I-864 stuff(or different form name but similar thing) and supporting stuff direct to interview, and pay the fees there. I know the DS-2001 is the notice of readiness form, I thought that meant when you send it you have all your documents and are ready to go. Am I getting confused with DCF? lol.

okay ill shush now.

The wiki states:

Forms required by K-1 beneficiary are:

DS-230 - FIll out part 1 (and 2, if required by the particular consulate), but ONLY sign part 1
DS-156 you fill in online, when you click "continue" it, it generates a special barcode. You need to print this form out when its done. Again dont sign it.
DS-156K - Fill in online, print, DONT sign.
DS-157 - Males aged 16 to 45 are required to complete this form regardless of nationality or place of residence. Some Consulates request this form from all applicants.

DS-230 Part 1, DS-156, DS-156k and DS-157 (if needed) may need to be sent to the embassy or consulate with your checklist or may need to be submitted at the interview, depending on the particular consulate's policy.
If DS-230 Part 2 is required by your consulate, take it with you (unsigned) to the interview along with your I-134 from USC, supporting documents for it. Evidence of relationship etc.

make copies of EVERYTHING!

So it probably wont be a problem, they will just have it there with them, but indeed fill out another one to take just in case

Last edited by britishspouse; Jul 21st 2011 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd go prepared with another I-134 in hand, plus current proof of your fiancee's income, along with 3 years worth of tax returns. You were supposed to bring these to the interview with you.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
I thought it was just the CR1/IR1 visa people who sent in ALL documents. I thought K1's brought it all to interview with them, or maybe this is just those who go DCF?
K-1's should submit all the forms, but bring the I-134, proof of income, and tax returns, to the interview.

DCF folks bring an I-864, proof of income, and tax returns to the interview as well.

Folks who filed an I-130 in the USA have to submit I-864, proof of income, and tax returns to NVC ahead of time.

They will probably have the info in the file, since he sent it in ahead of time, but who knows? I'd bring it all to the interview anyway, just to be "better safe than sorry".

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
K-1's should submit all the forms, but bring the I-134, proof of income, and tax returns, to the interview.

DCF folks bring an I-864, proof of income, and tax returns to the interview as well.

Folks who filed an I-130 in the USA have to submit I-864, proof of income, and tax returns to NVC ahead of time.

They will probably have the info in the file, since he sent it in ahead of time, but who knows? I'd bring it all to the interview anyway, just to be "better safe than sorry".

Rene
Ahh gotcha

Yeah indeed. Better to have it than not to have it
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

My nerves won't settle not knowing...I'll get another copy sorted, but I feel like I want to call or email to check. Any ideas? call that supper pricey call line?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Philip.R
My nerves won't settle not knowing...I'll get another copy sorted, but I feel like I want to call or email to check. Any ideas? call that supper pricey call line?
No, don't bother. It doesn't matter now. You've sent everything in, so it's probably in your file. As a backup measure, bring it all in with you to your interview. No need to call and spend the money to ask.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, don't bother. It doesn't matter now. You've sent everything in, so it's probably in your file. As a backup measure, bring it all in with you to your interview. No need to call and spend the money to ask.

Rene
Thank you.
Fortunately I got 3 copies of my police certificates (still have one)
I also have a copy of birth certificate.
And have my passport, interview letter, payment receipt, extra passport photos, proof of on going relationship.

Just the affidavit
I can get copies of the tax returns etc...just the actual I-134 form that hopefully won't take long to re-fill out and send from the States.

Thank you all!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

If she sends it Express Mail through the USPS it'll only take at most 4 days (or so they say) 10 days if she sends it priority. She can overnight with a company like Fedex!

*pats* Just hang in there. I know how you feel, we're not even that far yet and I'm already worried I've messed up the whole thing lol. It'll go great and you'll be fine!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Thank you all for you input.

So far. I keep re-reading the packet 3 stuff, I can kinda see it now, but not really. I think in my worry of holding up the 'slow' process by not sending all the right info, I sent it all.

Anyhow.
Called the prime rate number. (kinda accepted that anything to do with Gov+Visa = mucho money)

They were really helpful, though couldn't give me a direct answer. I was given an email address and ID number to send an explanation/question too.

The operator couldn't guaranteed but suggested that they; could hold it until the interview (as they packet was sent to London), or they could send the files back.

Preparing a duplicate i-134 just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.