I-864 Income

Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

VivaLV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Income

Expats,

I know this has been discussed but just want verification on how to do this.

I have my Visa Interview later this week and have only just started filling out the I-864 and getting confused over the income section and hope you can help.

The details:

Wife is US citizen (and Sponsor) living and working here in the the UK with me for the last 2 and half years. Works in a UK job which will not continue in the USA. She has continued to file US Tax returns and currently earns above the required Poverty Level but in her UK Job.

I'm the UK immigrant she is sponsoring, I also have a UK job that will not continue in the USA.

We both have US bank accounts which, only when added together, have more than the required 3 x Federal Poverty Rate requirement. Also have more money in a UK bank account.

What is the best way to approach the Income portion of this I-864?

Thank you!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Income

The best way is the honest way.

List the salaries you and your wife are currently earning. List your assets and document them, i.e. bank statements, etc.

Your UK salaries can't be applied to the imaginary support column as they are non-continuing and even if they were, they are not always accepted by the examiner.

Curious why you waited until the last minute to complete a form which could make or break your ability to obtain a visa?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
The best way is the honest way.

List the salaries you and your wife are currently earning. List your assets and document them, i.e. bank statements, etc.

Your UK salaries can't be applied to the imaginary support column as they are non-continuing and even if they were, they are not always accepted by the examiner.

Curious why you waited until the last minute to complete a form which could make or break your ability to obtain a visa?
Yeah was thinking to add both salary and assets but I think it will be the Assets that will sort us out.

And pure oversight, I had no idea this form was as important as it is, and didn't think there could be possibly be more forms to fill out!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivaLV
Yeah was thinking to add both salary and assets but I think it will be the Assets that will sort us out.

And pure oversight, I had no idea this form was as important as it is, and didn't think there could be possibly be more forms to fill out!
Yes, it will be assets that will, in part, allow you to qualify for the visa. If you pass the valid marriage portion of the interview but failed the affidavit of support portion, you would not get the visa. So yes, it is a very important part.

The form asks about employment so you answer the question as it is asked. You put in the UK employment and UK salary even though it is not a qualifying employment.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Note that, unless your wife is a British citizen, if you leave the UK and, after 2 years wish to return to UK, you will start the immigration process all over again.

Something to keep in mind.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Note that, unless your wife is a British citizen, if you leave the UK and, after 2 years wish to return to UK, you will start the immigration process all over again.

Something to keep in mind.
Thank you for that info, but at moment it’s a permanent move back to US.