British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-751 waiver filing and trip abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-751-waiver-filing-trip-abroad-755986/)

seekinghelp Apr 23rd 2012 11:21 pm

I-751 waiver filing and trip abroad

Hi folks,
one technical question. My green card expires at the end of July and my lawyer and I have all the docs ready to file. We haven't filed yet, though, (it's a divorce case) because I am leaving the country for about two months and we don't wanna risk to receive a biometric appointment while I am abroad and cannot attend it. So my lawyer will file around 2-3 weeks before I come back to the US, so that I will get the appointment once back.

The fact is: I will coming back to the US only 3 days before my green card expires. My lawyer will fax me a copy of my NOA-1, so that I can show the immigration officers at the border that I am renewing my card.

My question is: will I have any problem re-entering the country? I ask because my green card expiration date would be very close, but again I will have already filed for the waiver and will have a copy of NOA-1 on hand.

Thanks all!!

Noorah101 Apr 23rd 2012 11:37 pm

Re: I-751 waiver filing and trip abroad

Originally Posted by seekinghelp (Post 10021891)
My question is: will I have any problem re-entering the country? I ask because my green card expiration date would be very close

As long as you are entering the USA on an unexpired green card, you should not have any issues.

Rene

jeffreyhy Apr 24th 2012 3:22 am

You are not renewing your card, you are removing the conditions on your status. (If successful, you will be issued a new green card.)

Regards, JEff

My lawyer will fax me a copy of my NOA-1, so that I can show the immigration officers at the border that I am renewing my card.

seekinghelp Apr 24th 2012 3:27 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10022117)
You are not renewing your card, you are removing the conditions on your status. (If successful, you will be issued a new green card.)

Regards, JEff

But I won't have any problem re-entering the country right?

jeffreyhy Apr 24th 2012 3:44 am

No issues with regard to status, anyway.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10021916)
As long as you are entering the USA on an unexpired green card, you should not have any issues.

Rene

My question is: will I have any problem re-entering the country? I ask because my green card expiration date would be very close, but again I will have already filed for the waiver and will have a copy of NOA-1 on hand.

ian-mstm Apr 24th 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by seekinghelp (Post 10022124)
But I won't have any problem re-entering the country right?

Not because of anything related to your GC... which is valid up to and including the day it expires. It's a non-issue.

Ian