Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

When do i book my medical etc? a little confused....

When do i book my medical etc? a little confused....

Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

dave74 will become famous soon enoughdave74 will become famous soon enough
Default When do i book my medical etc? a little confused....

Hello all,
I finally got my police certificate, birth certificate etc back and have filled out the relevent forms DS-230-Part 1, Form DS-156 and DS-157 etc. Im following these instructions http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html but getting a little confused.
Step 1: i complete and send in the forms (Ive filled out and got these ready)
Step 2: "Assemble all of the documents required in support of your application."(ive got these ready police/birth/divorce certificates etc) "Form 2001 and mail it to the Immigrant Visa Unit together with a covering letter containing your email address, if applicable, date of your wedding and date of the medical examination." (confused! i dont have a wedding date yet as i cant arranged one until i hopefully get my visa, and dont have a date for medical yet as....)
Step 3: "Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy approved physician."

Ive also looked at the K1 flowchart http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_Flowchart_Visuals and it seems on there i send in the step 1 forms, then wait for a letter back saying "go ahead book medical" which i attend, i then wait for an appointment letter for interview date. But theres no mention of when i send in form 2001?

Im getting confused and really worried i'll mess something up .Would someone be kind enough to confirm in which order i should do what?

My thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do i book my medical etc? a little confused....

Originally Posted by dave74
... i dont have a wedding date yet as i cant arranged one until i hopefully get my visa, and dont have a date for medical yet as...
You don't yet have a wedding date, so it's not something you need to consider. And you'll soon be having your medical...

Step 3: "Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy approved physician."
If you have your LND#, you can go ahead and schedule your medical. Take your police certificate with you to the medical.

But theres no mention of when i send in form 2001?
If I'm not mistaken, Form 2001 is the readiness checklist. Once you have your medical, fill in that form and send it back; indeed, you can probably send it back when you're within a week of your medical. Everything else you bring with you to your interview.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if this is wrong.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you have your LND#, you can go ahead and schedule your medical. Take your police certificate with you to the medical.
Hi Ian thanks for your help,
i was just wondering about taking the police certificate with me. Do i just take it to show them and bring it back with me? or do they keep it? I have 2 copies but i need one copy to go with my DS-156k when i send it plus i need to take the other to my final interview?

Thanks again
Dave
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian thanks for your help,
i was just wondering about taking the police certificate with me. Do i just take it to show them and bring it back with me? or do they keep it? I have 2 copies but i need one copy to go with my DS-156k when i send it plus i need to take the other to my final interview?

Thanks again
Dave
I think they only want to look at it, but just to be safe, take a photocopy of it to the medical so they can keep it, if they wish.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rene,
I think ive got everything ready to send off to the Embassy In London.How do most people send it? via royal mail 1st class, recorded or next day signed for?
i had a quick search of the forums but didnt see an answer sorry
Thanks again
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How do most people send it?
It doesn't really matter, as long as it's trackable.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

London will send you a letter when they get your case and are ready for you to apply for the visa. Wait for the letter then--
Send DS-230-Part 1, Form DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 first to get in the queue. That's just forms with nothing else with it. From the embassy instructions:
Note: Forms DS-156 and DS-157 must be completed in duplicate.
That means print out extra copies or photocopy the ones you already printed.

Then they give you a little time to gather your documents and make your medical appointment. You need a police certificate for the medical. They don't keep your original because you need it for the interview.

When you have all those documents in hand (there's a link to the list in their Step 2), then you may notify them you've got everything by filling out the DS-2001 which says "I've got all my documents now and made my medical appointment so I'm ready to interview." That means you've also got your I-134 Affidavit of Support and proof of income mailed by snail mail from your USC fiance in your hands.

When they have your
1. Forms
2. Readiness for Interview document DS-2001 and
3. The results of your medical (sent straight from the clinic to them),
then they will send you a second letter telling you your interview appointment date/time.

Now if you did everything in advance and already have your documents (including your fiance's affidavit of support), then you may mail the DS-2001 in the same envelope with the forms. If you need a little time to get your police certificate or birth certificate (documents) or make a medical appointment, then send the forms immediately and follow up later with the DS-2001 when you have all your ducks in a row.

The cover letter they ask for with the Readiness Form DS-2001:
  1. Let's them know you have scheduled your medical (or maybe already had it.)
  2. Provides your email address if they need to contact you.
  3. Helps them know who needs to be scheduled sooner for an interview. If they get two people's info and one says her wedding is April 28 and the other says October 13, they will try to get the April girl scheduled first. The October bride may not get scheduled until September because she's got lots of time. If you give no wedding date, then they just slot you in somewhere. They don't hold you to the date you say in the cover letter. They do try to accomodate people when they can.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think they only want to look at it, but just to be safe, take a photocopy of it to the medical so they can keep it, if they wish.

Rene
Yes, they just look at it. And you may have to remind them to give it back afterwards, since they can forget (as in my case).
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moxie

The cover letter they ask for with the Readiness Form DS-2001:
  1. Let's them know you have scheduled your medical (or maybe already had it.)
  2. Provides your email address if they need to contact you.
  3. Helps them know who needs to be scheduled sooner for an interview. If they get two people's info and one says her wedding is April 28 and the other says October 13, they will try to get the April girl scheduled first. The October bride may not get scheduled until September because she's got lots of time. If you give no wedding date, then they just slot you in somewhere. They don't hold you to the date you say in the cover letter. They do try to accomodate people when they can.

Nearly at this point in the process so can I ask what format this letter takes? I include my email address, date of medical and date of travel. Is this date of travel, the actual date I plan to move to the States?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Is this date of travel, the actual date I plan to move to the States?
You are not obligated to travel on the date indicated.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Hello all
Just an update, i sent in the first package and then booked my medical which i had the following week. I never got any letter back saying they had received my first package, however 10 days after my medical and ive received a letter confirming my appointment for my final interview which is May 2nd. As you may guess im extremely happy/nervous in equal amounts.Im just wondering is it worth me sending in my Readiness for Interview document DS-2001? seeing as i have a confirmed interview date? things are moving swifter than i thought
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all
Just an update, i sent in the first package and then booked my medical which i had the following week. I never got any letter back saying they had received my first package, however 10 days after my medical and ive received a letter confirming my appointment for my final interview which is May 2nd. As you may guess im extremely happy/nervous in equal amounts.Im just wondering is it worth me sending in my Readiness for Interview document DS-2001? seeing as i have a confirmed interview date? things are moving swifter than i thought
They don't notify you that they got anything from you so that's normal. If you've got an interview, then you're set. Are you saying you never did a DS-2001 or in any way indicated your medical or travel date? Guess you got lucky. Is your name and case number correct on the letter?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moxie
They don't notify you that they got anything from you so that's normal. If you've got an interview, then you're set. Are you saying you never did a DS-2001 or in any way indicated your medical or travel date? Guess you got lucky. Is your name and case number correct on the letter?
Hi , yes thats right i never got the chance to even send my DS-2001 , i was waiting a bit after my medical as they said if anything showed up they would contact me within 4 days but there was the bank holiday weekend so i waited a few extra days and then got the letter inviting me for the final interview. Yes i double checked and my name/case number are correct. My interview time is 8am! does that mean i need to be there even earlier for security checks? or do i get to the entrance at 8am and take it from there?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi , yes thats right i never got the chance to even send my DS-2001 , i was waiting a bit after my medical as they said if anything showed up they would contact me within 4 days but there was the bank holiday weekend so i waited a few extra days and then got the letter inviting me for the final interview. Yes i double checked and my name/case number are correct. My interview time is 8am! does that mean i need to be there even earlier for security checks? or do i get to the entrance at 8am and take it from there?
It's first come, first served despite appointment times. So the sooner you get in line, the lower your "now being served" ticket number is. Line opens to start going in the building at 7:30. Gould's Pharmacy is generally open by 7:20 for stashing your phone, keys. pen knives, headphones, and other things banned from the embassy. Get there when it is convenient to you, meaning if you aren't in the building by exactly your appointment time they won't be going in order of appointment times and say "you're late".
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Aha,
Well my MRV fee has been paid and i have my receipt printed, ive also got all my documents required as informed by the link attached to the receipt email, i just need to get a few more photos. Ive also got the link that tells me how to get to the embassy so i think im just about ready for next week. If anyone has any tips about extra paperwork i may need, what questions they got asked or maybe what time they got there/what number they were, it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again