Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Extremely urgent help required. Lost my Visa.

Extremely urgent help required. Lost my Visa.

Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

crazylarry08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Extremely urgent help required. Lost my Visa.

September 2004 I went on holiday to Florida with girlfriends family. Her mum made me apply for a visa becuase I have a small number of arrests (for driving offences - N.B none come under the moral turpitude category and none aggregate a confinement of 5years ect.) Visa for 10 years was granted.

I lost my passport containing visa and it was recovered by UKPA and destroyed as procedure.

My company have booked for me to go to the west coast next week on business to advise one of the largest and most well known American corporations.

I can tick all the no boxes on the Visa waiver form honestly as the offences did not contain moral turpitude, however Im 90% sure when they scan my passport it will come up saying I have a visa and will probably want to see it, bound to spark questioning.

Any ideas what will happen when I arrive at Point of Entry, What are the chances of being refused entry? What happens when they refuse you entry? (held in custody? secondary processing? fined? ) Is there any personal decretion or is a case of "computer says no"

I will as a precuation be taking evidence of: return flight and hotel accomodation details whilst in (which will be paid for in advance), Letter of invitiation from said large corporation inviting me to visit them, reason to return to the UK;contract of employment in UK and payslips. Evidence of funds; Cash and bank statement and reciept of hotel being paid for. I will also be taking the ACRO police certificate they ask you to provide when doing a visa application.

Has anyone had a situation like this before or know what comes up on their screens, If i cant go to these meeting I will lose my job! not good in current market conditions.

Also last night I completed a Visa application form online but rang up today to get an appointment and they cant do me one until January even though i explained the situation.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extremely urgent help required. Lost my Visa.

I assume that you don't have the 'destroyed' passport? If they'd returned it to you with the corner cut etc, then the visa would still be in there and you could use a new passport (which I assume you have got) with the old passport + visa. I think you're going to struggle - the airlines need a proof of visa. or you go in on VWP The only thing you can do is attempt the VWP - unless someone has a better idea. Your company should be understanding with a lost passport. Maybe they can visit you or videoconference. You;'ll need to take documentation (evidence of lost passport, police report, evidence of destroying, written letter from US Embassy with respect to the visa appointment etc) with you for the POE official and you may be able to convince them. Getting on the plane will probably be OK with the Green VW and passport. it's the US end that may be a problem. Do you not have a photocopy of the visa? All obvious questions...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

As far as I know, just because you once had a visa, it does not mean you can't use the VWP.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazylarry08
September 2004 I went on holiday to Florida with girlfriends family. Her mum made me apply for a visa becuase I have a small number of arrests (for driving offences - N.B none come under the moral turpitude category and none aggregate a confinement of 5years ect.) Visa for 10 years was granted.
Were these arrests? - or convictions?

Also last night I completed a Visa application form online but rang up today to get an appointment and they cant do me one until January even though i explained the situation.
State Dept website says 35 days for London:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the suggestion of getting a letter from UKPA stating they have destroyed the passport, Will definately do that.

Unfortunately i do not have the old passport of copy of the visa.

I hoping that because I can truthfully tick all the "no" boxes and will have evidence for all the most common reasons for refusal such as "place of stay during visit", "letter inviting me to conference", "evidence of funds", "proof that the offences are not those that fall under moral turpitude", proof that the visa I had was destroyed by UKPA then ill be alright. Im hoping the worst case would be that i get sent to some kind of secondary processing and that some form of discretion is used.

Does anyone know much about what the process is for refusal of entry at an international airport?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

were convictions for dangerous driving in the UK , i have applied to the Association of Chief Police officers criminal records office and sent of my application 10 mins ago with a nice fee of £70. This is the same certificate they require when you apply for a visa through the embassy
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

My company have booked for me to go to the west coast next week on business to advise one of the largest and most well known American corporations.

If i cant go to these meeting I will lose my job! not good in current market conditions.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still wondering why this meeting/meetings can't take place by videoconferencing or they fly to the UK. Your company doesn't seem too understanding for a lost passport.... Seems you're between a rock and a hard place. Now it seems that you have no choice you'll have to go in on VWP - and be prepared at the POE for issues. It may be that you'll be returned to the UK; it may be that you'll have to go to secondary, it may be that you'll get in quickly or slowly.... No-one on this forum will give you certainties I'm sure - after all there is POE official discretion. However, be warned that we have had a few reports of some heavy-handed applications of the 'rules' as they see them. So see any entry to the US as a pure bonus.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

the involves team building exercises so videocon would not suffice, One other Question? does anyone know much about the passport and visa check at UK airports before you fly to the US. Is it a case that i might not even get on the plane? I am praying for discretion as it should become apparent I am an honest hard working guy that doesnt want to stay in the US longer than the weeks meetings. Does anyone know anything about expedited parole? Also what is the procedure for being sent back, are you detained for long?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Have you thought about completing the ESTA voluntarily?

It won't guarantee your entry, but you're better off finding out the computer says no at home rather than in the US.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, i never knew that link existed, that computer that time says "yes" i can travel under the VWP , If anyone can think of any other paperwork I can take in the event that computer says no when i go would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I lost my passport containing visa and it was recovered by UKPA and destroyed as procedure.
Does anyone know why does the UKPA follows such an idiotic procedure? If all they want is have you pay for another passport, they could just void it.