Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 - Removal of Conditions - Some anomalies

I-751 - Removal of Conditions - Some anomalies

Old Jan 30th 2001, 2:50 pm
Fishy Baby

Hello all

I hope everyone is doing fine.

It's been a looong time since I've visited this newsgroup. So hello to all the newbies
going through the process. And hello to all of those who were around here in the early
days when this n/g was formed, (Alvena, Rita, Joanne, Duncan, Paul, Nigel, etc)

Anyways, it's time to get over the last hurdle of this whole K1 process but I've got
a question.

In July 99 I received my approval letter for perm residence which stated my approval date
was June 22 99. In the letter was a slip of paper telling me to file the I-751 (removal of
conditions) between 13 May and 11 August 2001.

But the problem is my Green Card states that the expiry date is 22 June 01. So what
happens if I send my I-751 form off on 13 May and I don't hear anything from them for a
couple of months? What happens if my GC expires with no word from them.

Did anyone else have this situation.

Thanks Jo aka FishyBaby

Old Jan 30th 2001, 3:03 pm
Andy Platt

Greetings! Firstly you can file much earlier than 13th May - and in fact if you filed 11th
August as per the last day they specified you would be way past the deadline. 90 days
before June 22nd is the earliest (and best date) to file.

The service center should send you an NOA pretty quickly which will automatically extend
you for a year. If not a trip to the local INS office is in order so, as usual, get some
sort of certified delivery so you can show it was received by the service center.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Hello all
>
> I hope everyone is doing fine.
>
> It's been a looong time since I've visited this newsgroup. So hello to all the newbies
> going through the process. And hello to all of those who were around here in the early
> days when this n/g was formed, (Alvena, Rita, Joanne, Duncan, Paul, Nigel, etc)
>
> Anyways, it's time to get over the last hurdle of this whole K1 process but I've got a
> question.
>
> In July 99 I received my approval letter for perm residence which stated my approval
> date was June 22 99. In the letter was a slip of paper telling me to file the I-751
> (removal of conditions) between 13 May and 11 August 2001.
>
> But the problem is my Green Card states that the expiry date is 22 June 01. So what
> happens if I send my I-751 form off on 13 May and I don't hear anything from them for a
> couple of months? What happens if my GC expires with no word from them.
>
> Did anyone else have this situation.
>
> Thanks Jo aka FishyBaby
>
>