Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 - How long does it take after biometrics appointment for greencard to arrive?

I-751 - How long does it take after biometrics appointment for greencard to arrive?

Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:26 pm
fun
Forum Regular

fun is on a distinguished road
Default I-751 - How long does it take after biometrics appointment for greencard to arrive?

Hi everyone,

I have just done my biometrics appointment. I was curious about the timeline of how long it will take for my greencard to arrive. I filed at VSC. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:30 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 - How long does it take after biometrics appointment for greencard to arriv

Originally Posted by fun
Hi everyone,

I have just done my biometrics appointment. I was curious about the timeline of how long it will take for my greencard to arrive. I filed at VSC. Thanks.
The date of your biometrics appointment does not directly correlate with how fast your card will get there-----getting a biometrics appt. letter does not mean you have been approved. It simply means that they have received your petition, have cashed your check and put your paperwork in the line with the rest of 'em.

Basically, your approval will come when they approve you. It varies by service center.

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 - How long does it take after biometrics appointment for greencard to arriv

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
The date of your biometrics appointment does not directly correlate with how fast your card will get there-----getting a biometrics appt. letter does not mean you have been approved. It simply means that they have received your petition, have cashed your check and put your paperwork in the line with the rest of 'em.

Basically, your approval will come when they approve you. It varies by service center.

~SecretGarden
I wish it was that simple and quick hey SC
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fun
I was curious about the timeline of how long it will take for my greencard to arrive.
how long is a piece of string?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:29 am
Austinman

"fun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just done my biometrics appointment. I was curious about the
> timeline of how long it will take for my greencard to arrive. I filed
> at VSC. Thanks.

You can check processing times for your service center here:

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:04 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fun
Hi everyone,

Wow it feels like an eternity since I filed my I-751 back in 2003. I actually don't remember much about it except for the disappointment at finding out that the then INS took anywhere upto a year to process the brief form. From your post you sound as naive as I did.............most people get approved without an interview but you never know.............so just because you have filed your I-751 doesn't necessarily mean you will automatically get approved.................you will have probably have to go into your local USCIS office to get a stamp in your passport before you physically get your greencard in your hands. If you qualify, I would also apply for naturalization as that has a habit of moving the I-751 process along.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
.you will have probably have to go into your local USCIS office to get a stamp in your passport before you physically get your greencard in your hands. .
Now it is typical to receive a letter from USCIS that extends your status for one year while the petition is being processed.

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Now it is typical to receive a letter from USCIS that extends your status for one year while the petition is being processed.

~SecretGarden
That has always been the case, SC. Nothing in that respect has changed or been altered over the years. You send in your I-751, evidence and money and receive a Notice of Action with your case number, filing fee and a few paragraphs stating your privileges in regards to working, traveling, blah blah blah are still in effect.

Today, however, the one change to the procedure is the addition of a fee for biometrics ($70 at the moment). You still get the NOA and then you also get the biometric appointment. This bio appointment has nothing whatsoever to do with the "where am I in the line for adjudication" status but just an appointment for you to give your new fingerprint to the ASC for the manufacture of the ten year green card when your I-751 is finally adjudicated.

Timelines for adjudication varies from month to month, and in years past for example, the VSC was taking 18 to 24 months to adjudicate an I-751 and this was in 2002 (been there, experienced an 18 mo. wait) and then early last year in 2006 they were adjudicating them in under 6 months.

It is important for anyone who is waiting for the adjudication of the I-751 to remember that your status has not changed. You are still a CPR and will remain so until your petition has been approved and/or denied. For proof of this status you will be supplied with the NOA as cited above or the I-551 stamp in your passport which can be given by your local district office after you have made an Infopass appointment.

Wondering and worrying about when will it be adjudicated is futile. It is a low priority petition. You can still file for naturalization when you are eligible even if the I-751 has not been decided on.

Rete
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:58 pm
fun
Forum Regular

fun is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try to relax about it and just wait for something in the mail.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:59 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

This won't help you, but if you find any comfort in it, this is my timeline (I also go through VSC):

11/6 . Sent I-751 to VSC
11/10 . Check cashed
12/21 . NOA
12/23 . Biometrics notice
1/12 . Biometrics done

Like you, I'm still waiting...