I-751 contents

Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:57 am
Just Joined

southerners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 contents

Dear Friends,

We are about to mail off our I-751 and I thought it would be very helpful to bounce the table-of-contents off the hive, just to double-check I've included everything needed to make a strong case. I've read through old posts and have gained some helpful ideas about materials to include, so I hope this post may subsequently help anyone who comes after us.

We have NOT included photographs or affidavits. In previous posts these forms of evidence seem to be viewed as weaker, or perhaps less necessary if other more important documents are present. Do you believe I am OK in omitting these, given what I am including?

In terms of the date range of the supporting materials, we have generally included only materials that cover the previous two years, from POA in the USA to the present. We have not included much evidence to cover the short period (c. 1 year) between marriage and entering the USA.

We have included:

-I-751 with fees
-Copies of green card (front/back)
-Supporting Documents:
-marriage license (they have it already, I know, but including it anyway)
-joint apartment leases (including last UK lease) 2014-present
-selection of joint bank account statements (roughly 4 per year, from POA to present, as examples)
-joint tax return transcripts, 2016 & 2017
-selection of joint credit card account statements/documents (some statements; and some documents confirming mutual authorised user access)
- joint insurance policies (renters, automobile, pet, earthquake)
- life insurance policies listing spouse as sole beneficiary
- retirement policies listing spouse as sole beneficiary
-other documents (payslips to same address; driver's licenses at same address)
Old Apr 18th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 contents

Just checked what I sent and it was similar to the above yes, although we did include a few photos, on the off chance that it helped. You don't need to include evidence outside of the two years you've been a PR.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much! That's good to know.

Has anyone ever paid using a 'counter check'? We don't use (or even have) personal checks and can do a money order or cashier's check if it is preferred or much more sure to be accepted, but a 'counter check' would allow me to track the removal of the funds. I locate conflicting information on this source of payment.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You mean a check made out at the teller window drawn against your bank account? I take it you don't have a checking account.

It really isn't necessary to see if the check/money order has been cashed. Send your package my a receipt generated method. Once you know it has been received, you know they will be cashing the check/money order or whatever asap. The next time you hear from them will be with the I-797C notice of extension of status usually 10 to 25 days after receipt of package.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 18th 2018 at 4:04 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Bank terminology is so confusing to me. I mean a counter check, which is a one-off check printed on-demand at the counter by the bank teller for a fee. When cashed they are processed like personal checks (not for guaranteed payments, and when cashed drawn from my own funds). In appearance, they are blank except for the account holder’s bank information.

I do have a checking account, but have never ordered checks. A counter check can just be printed in-branch if one needs a one-off check before checks arrive, or if one runs out of checks, or if one doesn't operate using checks but needs a check (although I am unclear if they are universally accepted in this case).

They look a bit like temporary checks, although are a bit blank. They contain the printed routing number and account number on the bottom, but sometimes the personal information on the top left is not printed and therefore has to be written in by hand. Some merchants look at them a but strangely, I understand, because they look like temporary checks. But no funds are taken from my account unless the check is cashed (like a personal check), but are they too unofficial for USCIS?
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerners
Thanks so much! That's good to know.

Has anyone ever paid using a 'counter check'? We don't use (or even have) personal checks and can do a money order or cashier's check if it is preferred or much more sure to be accepted, but a 'counter check' would allow me to track the removal of the funds. I locate conflicting information on this source of payment.
Many people have "checking accounts" and never write personal checks - using cards and on line payments. I know that Chase will print up a small number of counter checks with the account holder name and address thereon. Amazingly, this is done without charge.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My friend just got an RFE on her I-751 asking for things she sent in with the I-751, USCIS appears to have lost the paperwork she sent in with it. Which is hardly surprising as they lost paperwork sent in with the I-485 as well.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We are talking about the same thing. One reason why the USCIS might not accept it is because it does not have your personal information, i.e. name imprinted on it and it is not guaranteed.

In the last 50 years of my life whenever I opened a checking account I received a number of checks free from the bank. Usually 50 checks. Surprised that you didn't receive the same. Even down here in the deep south of Mississippi they give checks with your name only imprinted on them and the bank and routing numbers on the bottom. They normally arrive 7 to 10 days after you open the account.

Also I ran out of checks recently and went to the bank to order more. They made up 10 checks for me with my name and bank and routing numbers on them. Perhaps your bank can do the same for you. BTW there was no charge for this.

Originally Posted by southerners
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Bank terminology is so confusing to me. I mean a counter check, which is a one-off check printed on-demand at the counter by the bank teller for a fee. When cashed they are processed like personal checks (not for guaranteed payments, and when cashed drawn from my own funds). In appearance, they are blank except for the account holder’s bank information.

I do have a checking account, but have never ordered checks. A counter check can just be printed in-branch if one needs a one-off check before checks arrive, or if one runs out of checks, or if one doesn't operate using checks but needs a check (although I am unclear if they are universally accepted in this case).

They look a bit like temporary checks, although are a bit blank. They contain the printed routing number and account number on the bottom, but sometimes the personal information on the top left is not printed and therefore has to be written in by hand. Some merchants look at them a but strangely, I understand, because they look like temporary checks. But no funds are taken from my account unless the check is cashed (like a personal check), but are they too unofficial for USCIS?

Last edited by Rete; Apr 18th 2018 at 10:21 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 10:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Steve_
My friend just got an RFE on her I-751 asking for things she sent in with the I-751, USCIS appears to have lost the paperwork she sent in with it. Which is hardly surprising as they lost paperwork sent in with the I-485 as well.
Happens all the time. Some people send in volumes and when the paperwork is separated and very often they are lost.

One of the reasons why this forum has for the last 20 years stressed strongly that a duplicate exact copy be retained by the filer of the package sent to the USCIS. Easier to know what was sent and to grab hold of what is needed to be duplicated and also to know what has NOT been sent.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of off topic, but checks can be ordered from other companies too. They'll print your checking account details on it.