Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134/I-864 co-sponspors

I-134/I-864 co-sponspors

Old Feb 10th 2001, 10:20 am
Andy M

Hi,

My fiancee currently makes enough money to sponsor me by herself for the I-134, but her
previous years' income were not adequate, so it looks like we will need a co-sponsor when
the time comes for the I-864 for the AOS. That's not a problem, as we have someone who is
willing to do it, but if we use a co-sponsor for the I-864 do we need to use the same
co-sponsor for the I-134 for the consulate? I would think not, we can satisfy the
requirements for the I-134, but you never know...

Andy

Old Feb 10th 2001, 12:52 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Andy M wrote:
> My fiancee currently makes enough money to sponsor me by herself for the I-134, but her
> previous years' income were not adequate, so it looks like we will need a co-sponsor
> when the time comes for the I-864 for the AOS. That's not a problem, as we have someone
> who is willing to do it, but if we use a co-sponsor for the I-864 do we need to use the
> same co-sponsor for the I-134 for the consulate? I would think not, we can satisfy the
> requirements for the I-134, but you never know...
>
you may not need a co-sponsor for the I-864 either! Frankly, IF the current income is
adequate, they may decide to allow her to sponsor without one. i'd give it a try, and I'm
willing to bet that they will take it as is. chances are, they will not review it until
you get around to the interview, and by THEN, YOUR income can be added to hers on the
affidavit...so I'd play this one solo unless I ran into problems.

alvena

Old Feb 10th 2001, 12:54 pm
Grinch

| Hi,
|
| My fiancee currently makes enough money to sponsor me by herself for the I-134, but her
| previous years' income were not adequate, so it looks like
we
| will need a co-sponsor when the time comes for the I-864 for the AOS.
That's
| not a problem, as we have someone who is willing to do it, but if we use a co-sponsor
| for the I-864 do we need to use the same co-sponsor for the
I-134
| for the consulate? I would think not, we can satisfy the requirements for the I-134, but
| you never know...
|
| Andy

They are two separate things. You do not need a co-sponsor for the I-134 if you meet the
requirements From what I understand and in my experience the most weight is given to the
current years income and so it is doubtful you need one for the I-864 anyway. Depending
too on how long it takes for you to get an AOS interview you will be able to use your
income (if you have any) and submit an updated I-864 at that time.

Grinch