Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Birth certificate of US spouse

Birth certificate of US spouse

Old Jul 6th 2018, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Avodskier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth certificate of US spouse

My husband (uk national) has his spousal immigrant interview at the London embassy next week. Does he need to bring my birth certificate with him (us national) or will my passport suffice? Really struggling to locate it at the moment... and panicking slightly...
thanks for your replies!
Old Jul 6th 2018, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth certificate of US spouse

Are you talking about his spousal visa to the US? There is no such visa called a spousal visa for the US btw. It is an immediate relative visa. And the London Embassy is the US Embassy located in the city of London in the UK? If so, then your husband has his immediate relative visa interview next week at the US Embassy in London. No he does not have to have your US birth certificate as you have already submitted that or at least a copy of your US Passport when you filed the I-130 for him. Are you currently living with him in the UK or are you living in the US and he is residing in the UK?

Last edited by Rete; Jul 6th 2018 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

PS he should have been supplied with a page telling him what documentation he does need to bring to the interview. Has he and you gone over this and do you have everything that you are required to bring, i.e. I-864 Affidavit of Support, his originals of his long form birth certificate, his police compliance certificate, his British passport, etc.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Avodskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Yes you are correct. He is having his immediate relative visa interview at the US embassy in London. I already successfully filed the I-130.
it is very confusing as his list doesn’t include the same as the birth certificate proviso on the website which states “You must obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you. If the children are deceased, so state giving year of death).”
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:01 pm
Concierge

On which website Avodskier? Granted I did the K-1 but we never had to give or show the original birth certificates of either his children or mine and none of them were married at the time of our K-1 or for our adjustment of status.

We tell people to bring the original of all copies that were submitted with the I-130. The only originals asked for at the US Embassy is the I-864.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:04 pm
Concierge

Got it ... you are going by this list found here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...red-documents/

If you feel more comfortable and confident if he has it, then send it to him if you are out of the UK.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
PS he should have been supplied with a page telling him what documentation he does need to bring to the interview. Has he and you gone over this and do you have everything that you are required to bring, i.e. I-864 Affidavit of Support, his originals of his long form birth certificate, his police compliance certificate, his British passport, etc.

Is there a link link to that page on BE, explaining what is needed for the interview ? Be good to see...
Old Jul 10th 2018, 7:53 pm
Concierge

There might be one on the wiki if you care to explore. Or just go to the state department's website and look at it there.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:02 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

When I read that info prior to my interview I was under the impression that they meant birth certificates for everyone who is applying for a visa, I believe children under a certain age who are immigrating with the family don't have to attend the interview, but the CO would still need to see their original birth certificate.

I only took my original, as I was the only one applying for the visa They didn't ask for my wife's, even though I had a photocopy of both her birth certificate and passport.