Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 Important Info.........

I-130 Important Info.........

Old Jan 30th 2001, 8:44 pm
pumpkin17

This is for anyone who is stressing out as much as me about this I-130 process.

My husband and I are so fed up with the phone lines, that he actually drove down the the
CSC (5 hours)to find out exactly what the heck is going on! Turns out that yes all I-130's
are on hold, but the good news is, ONLY TILL Feb 1st!!! The officer there told him that
everything is on hold because of Congress and the new president getting sworn in and all
that. All the JIT report are exact that you've seen online, the office showed my husband
the exact one that is posted online which they are going by as well. So to everyone, just
hang in there a little bit longer ! Also, just to confirm, the 815-825 days is very wrong,
so no worries it is a mistake that they are taking there sweet time to correct.

Old Jan 30th 2001, 9:45 pm
MDUdall

Turns out that yes all I-130's are on hold, but the good
>news is, ONLY TILL Feb 1st!!! The officer there told him that everything is on hold
>because of Congress and the new president getting sworn in and all that.

Hmm. I wonder why the transition would halt processing of I-130's?

I did receive word from AILA a couple of days ago that the Bush administration has taken
steps to initiate a review of the last-minute regulations drafted under President
Clinton's administration, but I'm not sure how this review would impact the processing
of I-130's.

According to the White House Chief of Staff, Andrew Card, a hold has been placed on all
new and pending "regulations" to allow new Bush appointees time to review them. Covered
are all proposed or final regulations not yet published in the Federal Register, and
regulations published but not yet effective. The effective dates are to be postponed for
at least 60 days to allow time for this review by the new administration (note that the
new H-1B regulations published by the DOL which became effective on 01/19/01 are not
covered by this hold).

Another interesting thing reported by AILA today was Senator Ashcroft's written replies to
questions raised during his confirmation hearing.

While a Senator from Missouri, Ashcroft voted in support of H-1B visas, but against most
of AILA's other high priority issues. His voting record on civil rights issues suggests he
may not be sympathetic to the "due process" concerns triggered by the harsh immigration
laws in their present form.

Best Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm Copyright
2001 Matthew Udall