Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130: Evidence of a bona fide marriage

I-130: Evidence of a bona fide marriage

Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

southerners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130: Evidence of a bona fide marriage

A point for clarification: am I wrong in thinking that providing supplementary documents for proof of a bona fide marriage is not necessary when filing a I-130 via DCF in London?

Not that the OP is taking this DCF/London route, but that was my assumption, given the location of the thread. My understanding was that London did not want any of this information, hence the documents missing from the Embassy checklist and guide, and the question about where to attach them. Apologies if I have read any of this wrong, which is very possible.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

No, we are filing the DCF route in London. It's an interesting point you make though as like you I've noted that they make no reference to this evidence on the checklist.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
No, we are filing the DCF route in London. It's an interesting point you make though as like you I've noted that they make no reference to this evidence on the checklist.
My understanding is that London does not wish to see any such supporting documents unless they explicitly request it later, as a request for further information/proof, once they have considered your original I-130 application. I understand that they rarely ask for such information, but sometimes do, but that you do not need to submit any additional supporting documents with your I-130 unless they make such a request later. In other words, stick to the London Embassy checklist. That would save you a considerable amount of time and worry about your documents, as you outline above.

Wait for our wise sages Ian or Rene to confirm, but, in your case, given your DCF in London I do not believe that you need to submit any of these documents wth your I-130, unless later asked to provide them. I would just stick to their I-130 checklist, but, again, wait for Ian and Rene to confirm.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerners
Wait for our wise sages Ian or Rene to confirm, but, in your case, given your DCF in London I do not believe that you need to submit any of these documents wth your I-130, unless later asked to provide them. I would just stick to their I-130 checklist, but, again, wait for Ian and Rene to confirm.
When filing DCF, the bulk of the evidence goes with the non-USC spouse to the interview. The I-130 itself requires only the evidence requested in the I-130 instructions and/or web site.

When the I-130 is filed in the US, a good deal of the evidence goes to NVC when requested, and only minimal evidence is required at the interview.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Ok great, thanks for clearing that up. I'll go by the list then, and the documents I've copied won't go to waste as they will no doubt be needed later on.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Got all the documents together last night, checked them, double checked them, then checked them again(!). So today I will be posting them off.

Here were go!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi All,

Apologies to bring this up again, but our I-130 is currently in the queue for processing. However, the Mrs has noticed that on the website it makes mention of examples of supporting documents to prove a bone fide marriage such as we discussed above but made no mention of this on the checklist or application form.

So, is it worth us getting an envelope ready with these documents in, in case they require it or is it unlikely?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 11:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't hurt to gather the documents, just in case you get an RFE. Better safe than sorry.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2015, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene,

If we need to send them, will they give us some sort of case number just so they don't think random documents are turning up at their door?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you'll receive instructions on how to return the documents. I believe you include a copy of the RFE with the return package.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

If it helps put your mind at ease, we submitted our I130 very recently to London and stuck directly to the checklist, leaving the other supporting relationship documents for the interview stage. Our I130 was approved and no request for documents received. I don't know the details of your petition or situation, and everyone's case is unique, but we stuck to the checklist and had no issues.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

That certainly makes me feel better, thanks!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:51 pm

Wait. ..Harvey.... did you file the I-130 directly to London? If so, you did the right thing not including the evidence, and you won't receive an RFE.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes Rene we did.

Thats a great relief, thanks!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, just to let you know we got NOA1 on the 17th, and NOA2 on the 23rd December!