Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 approved : Let the games begin .. Expert advice needed!

I-130 approved : Let the games begin .. Expert advice needed!

Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

jeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to behold
Default I-130 approved : Let the games begin .. Expert advice needed!

Hi,

Here is the situation:

I (UKC) am in England right now, due to fly to USA early Feb to visit my wife.
My wife (USC) is in NYC.

Our I-130 petition was approved, "Notice Date" November 28th 2013.

We contacted NVC last week as we had heard nothing, and today they contacted us that they couldn't locate any file with the receipt number provided - so I have sent off a scan of the document as requested.

Here is my question:

Considering our timeline, and the fact I will be in USA from early Feb onwards on VWaiver .. is there any advice that somebody can offer as to what will make the process smoother....

In terms of medical , vaccination proof from my GP , police report ... what else should we be focusing on to have in hand ready to go once we hear the next step?

What is the next document that we need to complete and send off?

If I go to NYC early Feb, when would be an estimate as to when I am required to be back in England for the next process that requires me to be here in person?

Any advice/guidance is so openly welcomed!

Jack
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:44 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 approved : Let the games begin .. Expert advice needed!

All the things you mention need to take place in the UK prior to your interview, in the UK. So not being in the UK will be a hindrance, unless and until you know when the interview is.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

jeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to beholdjeheardy8 is a splendid one to behold

So from where we are now, NVC I expect will be contacting us to notify us of next steps ..... From my research, I feel it will look something like this:

1. NVC receive case and provide LDN case number
2. I-864 will need to be completed by myself and my wife
3. Acquire Police Report and Vaccination Records from GP
4. Make Medical appointment
5. Interview at US Embassy, London.

Can anybody make adjustments to the above structure so that my wife and I can be clearer please?

Cheers!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:05 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You will also need to complete the visa application - DS-260.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeheardy8
2. I-864 will need to be completed by myself and my wife
Not you, just your USC wife.

NVC will also separately request original civil documents, such as your police report (make sure to keep a copy of it for your medical exam), marriage certificate, any prior marriage dissolution paperwork, your birth certificate, military discharge paperwork, etc. So best to prepare all that ahead of time and bring it with you to the USA if you plan to submit paperwork to NVC from there.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Fantastic ...

So I should take all civil docs with me to USA. Thanks.

Regarding the medical ... when should I look at booking this - or perhaps more relevant, when can I book this? Can I book this around my schedule, or do they allocate you a time and date based on their schedule?

I'm just thinking, I would like to come back to England specifically for the medical, and stay here with my wife until the interview at the embassy has been attended to.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the medical ... when should I look at booking this - or perhaps more relevant, when can I book this? Can I book this around my schedule, or do they allocate you a time and date based on their schedule?
You can book the medical as soon as you have your LND case number from NVC. You call Knightsbridge directly and set up an appointment convenient to your schedule.

One thing to keep in mind is that your visa will only be valid 6 months from the date of the medical exam. So don't leave it too long betweeen the medical exam and letting them know you're ready to interview.

I'm just thinking, I would like to come back to England specifically for the medical, and stay here with my wife until the interview at the embassy has been attended to.
That sounds fine, as long as she is able to stay that long (be off work, etc).

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Beardysteve has a spectacular aura aboutBeardysteve has a spectacular aura aboutBeardysteve has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not you, just your USC wife.

NVC will also separately request original civil documents, such as your police report (make sure to keep a copy of it for your medical exam), marriage certificate, any prior marriage dissolution paperwork, your birth certificate, military discharge paperwork, etc. So best to prepare all that ahead of time and bring it with you to the USA if you plan to submit paperwork to NVC from there.

Rene
I just wanted to mention one small detail that could have delayed me at this point. I didn't realise that there are two types of birth certificate, a long and a short version apparently. Guess which one I had two days before my visa interview? (Clue - it's the one that they won't accept at your visa interview) Anyway, I drove to a registry office in Essex and got the long version (the one with my parents names on) and took it to my interview and thanked my lucky stars I wasn't born in Edinburgh..!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beardysteve
I just wanted to mention one small detail that could have delayed me at this point. I didn't realise that there are two types of birth certificate, a long and a short version apparently. Guess which one I had two days before my visa interview? (Clue - it's the one that they won't accept at your visa interview) Anyway, I drove to a registry office in Essex and got the long version (the one with my parents names on) and took it to my interview and thanked my lucky stars I wasn't born in Edinburgh..!
Thank you for this heads up - very kind of you!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can book the medical as soon as you have your LND case number from NVC. You call Knightsbridge directly and set up an appointment convenient to your schedule.

One thing to keep in mind is that your visa will only be valid 6 months from the date of the medical exam. So don't leave it too long betweeen the medical exam and letting them know you're ready to interview.

That sounds fine, as long as she is able to stay that long (be off work, etc).

Rene
Thank you. So when can and how do we receive the LND case number? Our approval notice was dated November 28th ... which seems a while back.

I fly to NYC early February, and I would ideally like to book my medical for the end of March ... with an interview date of April/May - from your experience, is this timeline realistic?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Our approval notice was dated November 28th ... which seems a while back.
Is it not on the approval notice? If not, then you need to wait until NVC sends you a notice with it. Or, you could just contact the NVC and find out. Since you don't want to book the medical until the end of March anyway, you might as well wait for another month or so and see if something shows up.

I would ideally like to book my medical for the end of March ... with an interview date of April/May - from your experience, is this timeline realistic?
Yes.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

The only unique number on the notice begins ' MSC ' ... I am going to call NVC tomorrow and request the LND number.

What are the next forms that myself and my wife are required to submit - I am still quite confused of this next step to be honest with you!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to call NVC tomorrow and request the LND number.
Forgive me, but why the urgent urgency to know, when you're not even going to act on it for another 2 months?

What are the next forms that myself and my wife are required to submit...
You need to actually apply for the visa (online DS-260), get your ACPO certificate, get photos, gather whatever evidence is required, complete the medical, and have an interview. There are probably a few other things in there also, but that's the main stuff.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:06 pm

The VERY next step is that NVC will be requesting (possibly at different times):

I-864 plus fee
Original civil documents
Immigrant Visa application plus fee

NVC will also set your interview date (whether you've have the medical or not), so make sure you get the medical done ahead of submitting the visa application and fee. There could be other forms you need to submit as well, double check at the US Embassy London website.

You will also need to arrange the courier service (for return of your passport after the interview) BEFORE the interview. It's done online. I don't have a link handy, but that information should be on the US Embassy London website as well.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Forgive me, but why the urgent urgency to know, when you're not even going to act on it for another 2 months?

You need to actually apply for the visa (online DS-260), get your ACPO certificate, get photos, gather whatever evidence is required, complete the medical, and have an interview. There are probably a few other things in there also, but that's the main stuff.

Ian
The urgency is because I believe I need this LND number in order to submit the I-864 documents , which is the next step in the process - so I understand.

What specifically is the LND number assigned for? Do I not necessarily need it until a later date?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.