Reload this Page >

I-130 about to file. A few questions

I-130 about to file. A few questions

Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

anothercalamity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 about to file. A few questions

I am UKC and my husband USC.
I'm just about ready to file our I-130, I-130a and the confirmation of receipt form.
Is there any benefit to sending copies of letters/emails between my husband and I to prove our relationship?
I am sending, marriage licence, birth certs, copies of wedding cards, telephone records, stamps from visiting USA in passport, financial records of support, photos of us.( all copies) Is that enough?

I believe I've read it's taking up to 7 months and beyond to process just this initial part, is this still the case?

Then.....could you point me in the direction of a thread that covers....'what's happens next' and rough time frames. And costs associated with each part of the process.

Many thanks
Emma

Last edited by anothercalamity; Apr 21st 2017 at 5:48 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 about to file. A few questions

Are you both in the UK at the moment? Or is the USC in the USA? That will make a big difference in timescales and next steps.

Also, how long have you been married? That also makes an impact on the onus to prove bona fide marriage. Sounds like you have far more than asked for, but more details will help people give you advice.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aless02
Are you both in the UK at the moment? Or is the USC in the USA? That will make a big difference in timescales and next steps.

Also, how long have you been married? That also makes an impact on the onus to prove bona fide marriage. Sounds like you have far more than asked for, but more details will help people give you advice.
I am in the uk, my husband in the us. We need to file with the Chicago lock box I believe. We got married on 27th Feb this year.
I have letters from his mum, sister and 3 of our friends confirming our relationship is genuine as well, though I know this is weak evidence.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, anothercalamity!

I'm Kate, and I'm on the exact same journey as you (UK citizen, married to US citizen, I-130 filed October 2016) so just thought I'd come and say hi.

Originally Posted by anothercalamity
Is there any benefit to sending copies of letters/emails between my husband and I to prove our relationship?
I have letters from his mum, sister and 3 of our friends confirming our relationship is genuine as well, though I know this is weak evidence.
Along with a handful of photographs (including from our wedding day, showing family and friends with us) and evidence of flight travel back and forth, my husband and I also sent letters that his mother and brother kindly wrote up to say they believed our relationship to be sincere and genuine. I wouldn't imagine it's necessary to have those, but it certainly won't hurt you to include them.
Edit: I'm not sure about the ones between your husband and yourself - perhaps the same could be said for those? I would imagine them to be slightly less convincing, though, than letters from other people. I'm basing that on personal assumption, though, not formal knowledge.

I believe I've read it's taking up to 7 months and beyond to process just this initial part, is this still the case?
USCIS received mine and my husband's I-130 package on the 27th of October. Like yours will be, ours was also sent to the Chicago lockbox, and was then forwarded to the Potomac service centre. We received our NOA1 in the post on the 4th of November, and haven't heard a whisper from them since. In six days, it'll be six months since they received our petition; I don't know where you've read it's taking '7 months and beyond', but from my own current experience I would advise to prepare yourselves for a long wait and hope for a short one! The average suggested processing time for this first bit is 5 months, but of course it varies from month to month and from case to case.

Then.....could you point me in the direction of a thread that covers....'what's happens next' and rough time frames.
The timescale thing is, again, a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. The average processing time for a CR-1 visa, from start to finish, is 8-10 months. We recently saw someone on this forum go through the whole thing within that suggested timescale; we also have me here, though, and mine is looking like it could take a little longer. Again, I'd say to prepare for a long ride and hope for a short one!

As for what happens next: once your I-130 petition has been approved, you'll receive your NOA2 (second notice of action), and then you'll be invited to apply for your visa, which is another 3-5 month process on average. It involves some paperwork, a medical and an interview (the latter two elements take place in London). We recently talked another member through the process, which you can read on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...-130-a-894078/

Edit: If you do read that above thread, don't be alarmed by the mention of the G-325a forms in the first message - those are now obsolete, and your I-130a is in its place.

I wish you the very best of luck!

I have found this forum immeasurably helpful and, since joining myself, my advice to others has been to become a regular here, read everything you see in the 'Marriage Based Visas' forum, and you will soon find yourself becoming familiar with the process and it'll start to feel a little less confusing/overwhelming. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this website who have been very helpful to me, and who will be very helpful to you, too, if you have any questions throughout the process.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your recent marriage!

Last edited by KK85; Apr 21st 2017 at 6:07 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
Hi, anothercalamity!

I'm Kate, and I'm on the exact same journey as you (UK citizen, married to US citizen, I-130 filed October 2016) so just thought I'd come and say hi.

Along with a handful of photographs (including from our wedding day, showing family and friends with us) and evidence of flight travel back and forth, my husband and I also sent letters that his mother and brother kindly wrote up to say they believed our relationship to be sincere and genuine. I wouldn't imagine it's necessary to have those, but it certainly won't hurt you to include them.
Edit: I'm not sure about the ones between your husband and yourself - perhaps the same could be said for those? I would imagine them to be slightly less convincing, though, than letters from other people. I'm basing that on personal assumption, though, not formal knowledge.

USCIS received mine and my husband's I-130 package on the 27th of October. Like yours will be, ours was also sent to the Chicago lockbox, and was then forwarded to the Potomac service centre. We received our NOA1 in the post on the 4th of November, and haven't heard a whisper from them since. In six days, it'll be six months since they received our petition; I don't know where you've read it's taking '7 months and beyond', but from my own current experience I would advise to prepare yourselves for a long wait and hope for a short one! The average suggested processing time for this first bit is 5 months, but of course it varies from month to month and from case to case.

The timescale thing is, again, a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. The average processing time for a CR-1 visa, from start to finish, is 8-10 months. We recently saw someone on this forum go through the whole thing within that suggested timescale; we also have me here, though, and mine is looking like it could take a little longer. Again, I'd say to prepare for a long ride and hope for a short one!

As for what happens next: once your I-130 petition has been approved, you'll receive your NOA2 (second notice of action), and then you'll be invited to apply for your visa, which is another 3-5 month process on average. It involves some paperwork, a medical and an interview (the latter two elements take place in London). We recently talked another member through the process, which you can read on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...-130-a-894078/

Edit: If you do read that above thread, don't be alarmed by the mention of the G-325a forms in the first message - those are now obsolete, and your I-130a is in its place.

I wish you the very best of luck!

I have found this forum immeasurably helpful and, since joining myself, my advice to others has been to become a regular here, read everything you see in the 'Marriage Based Visas' forum, and you will soon find yourself becoming familiar with the process and it'll start to feel a little less confusing/overwhelming. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this website who have been very helpful to me, and who will be very helpful to you, too, if you have any questions throughout the process.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your recent marriage!

Thank you for this. I'm hoping I'm ready to go. Ordered the international bankers draft today from Barclays. It should arrive Monday and then it's in the post!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this. I'm hoping I'm ready to go. Ordered the international bankers draft today from Barclays. It should arrive Monday and then it's in the post!
You're welcome. Good luck!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No, because your marriage certificate proves you're married... and that is the only requirement. There's no requirement to demonstrate an ongoing relationship.

I am sending, marriage licence...
If this is the same as a marriage certificate, great. If not... you need the certificate!

... financial records of support...
What is this exactly? Do you mean an affidavit of support? If it's a USCIS form, then what's the form number. Please use form numbers. You'll find that getting help will be a lot easier the more specific you are!

I'm just about ready to file our I-130, I-130a and the confirmation of receipt form.
I am in the uk, my husband in the us.
These two statements are contradictory. Your husband - not you - must file these forms. As far as US immigration is concerned, you don't yet exist.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Brownie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am UKC and my husband USC.
I am sending, marriage licence, birth certs, copies of wedding cards, telephone records, stamps from visiting USA in passport, financial records of support, photos of us.( all copies) Is that enough?

Then.....could you point me in the direction of a thread that covers....'what's happens next' and rough time frames. And costs associated with each part of the process.

Many thanks
Emma
Hey,

I think it's hard to say how long it will take.
We got the NOA1 14/12/2016 and the I-130 was approved on 07/04 at Texas Service Centre, we're currently waiting for a case number from the NVC.
I've seen many variations.

Aside from the other required documents, we just sent the marriage certificate and a piece of correspondence from the bank that had both our names on it.

Good luck on your journey.