Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-129 - not sure where to file

I-129 - not sure where to file

Old Feb 10th 2001, 1:05 am
PrairieDog

My employer and myself are greatly confused about where to file the I-129 petition to
extend my stay (as a TN).

Per the INS web-site, if you work in Nevada, you file the I-129 petition at the California
Service Center. This is where it was sent two weeks ago. However, INS has not cashed the
check, or sent us a receipt. It was sent Certified Mail, and not even a receipt from US
Post to indicate that the package was delivered.

I am hearing conflicting reports that only Lincoln Nebraska will process such petitions.
Does anybody know if this is true? If so, what would be the recommended course of action,
given that I only have two weeks of status left? Will they forward the package to the
correct location, or is it lost in space forever?

I would hate to fly back to the border and get a new TN, but I will if I have to.

Dennis

Old Feb 12th 2001, 5:49 am
Michael E. Piston

Dennis:

California Service Center is the correct place to file if your work in Nevada. However,
certified mail does sometime go astray. That's why we always use a courier service in
filing with INS, so we can get immediate confirmation of delivery.

The delay of the receipt is not unusual and, unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you
will get a receipt before your current status expires. That does not necessarily mean it
wasn't received however.

Michael E. Piston Attorney at Law 4000 Livernois Ste 110 Troy, MI 48098
248/680-0600

My comments are based upon my over 15 years of full time experience as an immigration
attorney. It has not been confirmed by research, and one or more immigration officials or
other attorneys may disagree. This is not legal advice and is provided on the
understanding that no attorney-client relationship is created or intended.

> My employer and myself are greatly confused about where to file the I-129 petition to
> extend my stay (as a TN).
>
> Per the INS web-site, if you work in Nevada, you file the I-129 petition
at
> the California Service Center. This is where it was sent two weeks ago. However, INS has
> not cashed the check, or sent us a receipt. It was sent Certified Mail, and not even a
> receipt from US Post to indicate that the package was delivered.
>
> I am hearing conflicting reports that only Lincoln Nebraska will process such petitions.
> Does anybody know if this is true? If so, what would be the recommended course of
> action, given that I only have two weeks of
status
> left? Will they forward the package to the correct location, or is it
lost
> in space forever?
>
> I would hate to fly back to the border and get a new TN, but I will if I have to.
>
> Dennis
>

Old Feb 12th 2001, 6:39 am
Michael E. Piston

Sorry! My first reply was in error.

All TN extensions of stay must be filed with the Nebraska Service Center - doesn't matter
where in the country you are located. This is an exception to the general rule which is
only applicable to TNs.

And no, I wouldn't count on CSC forwarding the case to NSC.

I've seen cases forwarded in that situation - and I've seen them returned to sender.

I suggest you refile immediately with NSC, and this time use Fed Ex or some other courier
services that provides immediate delivery confirmation.

Michael E. Piston Attorney at Law 4000 Livernois Ste 110 Troy, MI 48098
248/680-0600

My comments are based upon my over 15 years of full time experience as an immigration
attorney. It has not been confirmed by research, and one or more immigration officials or
other attorneys may disagree. This is not legal advice and is provided on the
understanding that no attorney-client relationship is created or intended.

> My employer and myself are greatly confused about where to file the I-129 petition to
> extend my stay (as a TN).
>
> Per the INS web-site, if you work in Nevada, you file the I-129 petition
at
> the California Service Center. This is where it was sent two weeks ago. However, INS has
> not cashed the check, or sent us a receipt. It was sent Certified Mail, and not even a
> receipt from US Post to indicate that the package was delivered.
>
> I am hearing conflicting reports that only Lincoln Nebraska will process such petitions.
> Does anybody know if this is true? If so, what would be the recommended course of
> action, given that I only have two weeks of
status
> left? Will they forward the package to the correct location, or is it
lost
> in space forever?
>
> I would hate to fly back to the border and get a new TN, but I will if I have to.
>
> Dennis
>