Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How easy was getting a job after you moved?

How easy was getting a job after you moved?

Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Josh0806 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How easy was getting a job after you moved?

I'm just wondering how easy some of you found it after moving to the US on a marriage or fiancé(e) visa? Did you have to get a more menial job to start before finding a job in the sector you used to be based in or wanted to be based in?
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy was getting a job after you moved?

Everyone's experience is going to be different. My fiance was self employed, in a very specialized trade. Within 3 weeks of his arrival in the USA, he was working. The down side was that he could only find clients in Los Angeles, while we live in Phoenix. So for the past 10 years he's been working mainly in LA, but somehow it works for us.

A friend of mine recently brought her fiance over from Pakistan, he has only a high school education, and so far he's been here 7 months and hasn't yet found any kind of job.

Rene
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josh0806
I'm just wondering how easy some of you found it after moving to the US on a marriage or fiancé(e) visa? Did you have to get a more menial job to start before finding a job in the sector you used to be based in or wanted to be based in?
Great question! I came to the US on a K-1 visa and was out of work for 4 months before finding a part-time job writing obituaries for the local daily newspaper. It was another 3 months before I found a full-time position in the local Federal prison. I kept the part-time job... and did both for the next 2.5 years. Neither was in my preferred job sector... but it was money coming in - and it's a great feeling of empowerment to be able to contribute, however small, to the household. It was a full 3 years before I found a full-time position in my chosen area... and I've been in the job for over 13 years now.

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Everyone's experience is going to be different. My fiance was self employed, in a very specialized trade. Within 3 weeks of his arrival in the USA, he was working. The down side was that he could only find clients in Los Angeles, while we live in Phoenix. So for the past 10 years he's been working mainly in LA, but somehow it works for us.

A friend of mine recently brought her fiance over from Pakistan, he has only a high school education, and so far he's been here 7 months and hasn't yet found any kind of job.

Rene
I guess its the same as finding a job for anyone! The more experience you have, the more employable you are!
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Great question! I came to the US on a K-1 visa and was out of work for 4 months before finding a part-time job writing obituaries for the local daily newspaper. It was another 3 months before I found a full-time position in the local Federal prison. I kept the part-time job... and did both for the next 2.5 years. Neither was in my preferred job sector... but it was money coming in - and it's a great feeling of empowerment to be able to contribute, however small, to the household. It was a full 3 years before I found a full-time position in my chosen area... and I've been in the job for over 13 years now.

Ian
That's great! I guess its always going to be a struggle finding a new job after moving. That is certainly something that must be given a lot of consideration and I must be prepared for in the future.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

So much depends on your qualifications, the area that you move to, and the state of the economy. As an example, almost anyone should have been able to get some sort of job in Houston in the last year or so, but if the oil price stays where it is, that is going to completely change over the next few months.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get an EAD to be able to work after I got married (came over on a K-1), so I was unable to work officially until it came through. I'm not gong to admit that, being a magazine editor in the UK, I may or may not have done some freelance work in the meantime.

I got a job as a Systems Admin fairly quickly after I got my work authorization and lost it when my renewal took too long to come in!

Then I spent a year working for Papa John's as a deputy manager and then at Zaxby's until I got robbed at gunpoint at the latter. Then I got a job that lasted 12.5 years (including being laid off and re-hired two years later. Worked for a cable company in the meantime), until I was poached by my present position!
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its the same as finding a job for anyone! The more experience you have, the more employable you are!
Until you become over experienced and in your late 40's/50's.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Good job I'm in my early twenties then, I guess
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Oof, this! Remember there are hundreds of fresh graduates each year willing to take entry level positions for 20 k and less.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Good job I'm in my early twenties then, I guess
Possibly. Depends on the competition.

What sector and in what way are you qualified for that sector? And how much real world working experience do you have?

Do any vacancies in your line of interest show up here?

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

Where are you moving to? Lots of regional variation. Lots.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

What sector and in what way are you qualified for that sector? And how much real world working experience do you have?

Right now, I'm just trying to be prepared for the future and was curious.

My girlfriend lives in St Louis and I know for things to work out between us we would probably have to marry in the future.

She still has a few years of college left so it wouldn't be for a while but I like to be prepared! As of June 2015 I'll have a masters degree in Chemistry and will hopefully be moving into a graduate position within the next year with a chemical or engineering company.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Also I believe job opportunities in St Louis would be good for me. I know that there are many pharmaceutical, chemical and some nuclear companies n the area so I think I may fair better than some.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It was another 3 months before I found a full-time position in the local Federal prison.
You might want to consider rewording that a little in case people get the wrong idea about you ...
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She still has a few years of college left so it wouldn't be for a while but I like to be prepared! As of June 2015 I'll have a masters degree in Chemistry and will hopefully be moving into a graduate position within the next year with a chemical or engineering company.
Excellent

You are well placed. Of course demand for your skills will depend on the region but if you're flexible you could have a wonderful future.

Make sure you have a LinkedIn account and do your best to network and develop professional contacts. And make sure you can sell yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.