Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do I get a criminal background check from Vietnam?

How do I get a criminal background check from Vietnam?

Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Jo Christina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get a criminal background check from Vietnam?

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this community, but I've followed it a lot and now have a very specific question which countless Google searches have failed me!

Quick intro: I'm a British citizen and have recently married my husband who is a U.S. citizen. Last week, we sent the first part of the i-130 off.

From my understanding, the next part (whenever that will be!) will involve further documentation including criminal background checks from countries previously lived in. Therefore, I need one for vietnam! I lived in Hanoi for 8 months back in 2016. I have no idea who to contact or how on earth I would obtain one. I don't know anyone in Hanoi who could help, and I have already checked the Vietnam embassy's website in the U.K, and they state they don't deal with this issue.

Does anyone on here have any knowledge, or been through a similar situation?
Thank you for any advice!
Jo
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get a criminal background check from Vietnam?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...y/VietNam.html and click on the "Police, Court, Prison Records" section.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this link! From what I read, I need to have someone in Hanoi to present my documents, which isn't possible! But that's great. I now have an address and number to contact and find a solution. Thank you, again!
Old Mar 19th 2018, 5:02 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a 12 month component to the requirement for a certificate?

[Edit] Unless there's something to report!

Last edited by celticgrid; Mar 19th 2018 at 5:10 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi there. Apologies! Not sure what you mean by 12 month component?! Im fairly new to all this!
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The requirement for needing a police report is that you lived in a country for 12+ months, over the age of 16.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Ok Thank you. I've just tried to research some updated information. Again, it's difficult! So thank you for your reply. I hope your answer is still true to date!
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From a 3 minute search of the web:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...red-documents/

Police certificates are required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.
U.S. police certificates are not required.

The one and only research site that you require now is for the US Embassy in London since the I-130 has been filing and you will eventually be seeking an Immediate Relative visa to join your husband in the US. That is assuming you are living in the UK.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/

PS Welcome to the light. You've found a great site to help you through your long wait for the visa. The great folks here will be able to help you as they are experiencing the very same thing at the very same moment in time.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 19th 2018 at 10:31 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much. I'm currently visiting my husband in the U.S. where we filed the first part of the i130 to the Chicago Lockbox, and I plan to fly back to the U.K. soon and continue the process there (So I can work!)...so I'm not sure if this is the same case. I hope it is! Thank you for the link though, that's great. I can look further into it now I'm on the right path!! Great!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jo Christina
Thank you very much. I'm currently visiting my husband in the U.S. where we filed the first part of the i130 to the Chicago Lockbox, and I plan to fly back to the U.K. soon and continue the process there (So I can work!)...so I'm not sure if this is the same case. I hope it is! Thank you for the link though, that's great. I can look further into it now I'm on the right path!! Great!
Jo, I don't understand your comment "so I'm note sure if this is the same case."

You are doing the I-130 with completion in the UK for an Immediate Relative Visa.

Once your I-130 is approved it will be send to the National Visa Center (NVC) where other paperwork will be requested, i.e. affidavit of support, etc. and then when that is approved it will be forwarded to the US Embassy in London where you will get your medical at Knightsbridge and attend your visa interview.

Once the visa is approved, your passport will be stamped with the visa and couriered back to you and then you are free to enter the US within the timeframe the visa is valid for.

Once you enter the US you are a legal permanent resident "LPR". In your case it is a Conditional Permanent Resident "CPR" as your marriage is under 2 years in length. You will have to file to remove conditions 90 days prior to the expiration date on the green card via form I-751. If that is approved, you will receive a green card good for 10 years. Both CPR and LPR have the same rights and privileges which is the right to reside and work in the US.

The above is just a brief summary and does not list all the documents required, steps to be followed, fees to be paid, etc.

The Visa process is currently taking from 8 to 12 months.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Rete...This is amazing. Thank you for such a thorough reply.

What I meant by my previous reply was I was unsure if the process is the same whether completing it in the USA or UK. I just don't know if these little things change anything that's all!

But that's great. I seem fairly confident now after reading the comments. I'm just scared that something will go wrong or get delayed because of silly mistakes. Knowing I don't have to chase my criminal background check for Vietnam is a huge weight off my shoulders!

Thank you, again!

Jo
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant by my previous reply was I was unsure if the process is the same whether completing it in the USA or UK. I just don't know if these little things change anything that's all!

But that's great. I seem fairly confident now after reading the comments. I'm just scared that something will go wrong or get delayed because of silly mistakes. Knowing I don't have to chase my criminal background check for Vietnam is a huge weight off my shoulders!

Thank you, again!

Jo
At worst, they'd be a minor delay in processing. Nothing to worry about - a lot of people go through these delays and waiting is a big part of this immigration journey so you'll soon get used to waiting around and other delays!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Thank you, again!

Jo
When the couple is eligible to file in the UK for the US Visa they never have anything whatsoever to do with USCIS in the states. It is strictly a UK process which shaves many months off the entire process. Don't even read anything that is posted about the DCF process as it will only confuse you as nothing in that process, other than the medical and the actual interview, pertains to you.

You will get here by this time next year, if not sooner, if the USCIS decides to speed up.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BenK91
At worst, they'd be a minor delay in processing. Nothing to worry about - a lot of people go through these delays and waiting is a big part of this immigration journey so you'll soon get used to waiting around and other delays!
Thanks for the reassurance! Much needed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.