Houston bound

Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Houston bound

Hi forumites, I'm in the middle of my K1 process, I-129f is in the hands of the California service centre for processing and from what I can tell this might be the quickest place at the moment!

Our plan is to have the party next March, but if the visa comes through earlier to get me across to the US sooner rather than later so I can begin my AOS and employment authorisation asap.

Given the current state of the £ to the $ it also looks increasingly likely that I'll be leaving my money over here for the time being, although I'm not sure what the tax implications are going to be.

I'll be combing the forums for advice on things like building credit, setting up bank accounts, moving possessions, figuring out health insurance (yay, no NHS ) but if anyone has any obvious gotchas to warn me about that would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston bound

Hi and welcome to BE.

For questions not directly related to immigration, please ask in our general USA forum.

Thanks,
Rene
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugilation
I'm not sure what the tax implications are going to be.
The tax experts hang out in the general USA forum. They're your best source for "things like building credit, setting up bank accounts, moving possessions, figuring out health insurance..."

If you have actual visa questions, we're here for you - but you seem to have things well in hand for now!

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2016, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The tax experts hang out in the general USA forum. They're your best source for "things like building credit, setting up bank accounts, moving possessions, figuring out health insurance..."

If you have actual visa questions, we're here for you - but you seem to have things well in hand for now!

Ian
Hopefully! We got our receipt notice once the packet arrived at the processing centre, we'll see if they want more information but hopefully not!

Regarding the UK and embassy components to the process, is there anything in particular that it's worth trying to get going now? I've got to get a copy of my birth certificate for a start as I have no idea where that is nowadays :/

I'll jump into the other forums for the other pieces of the puzzle. Good job I'm a project manager by profession!
Old Jul 6th 2016, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the UK and embassy components to the process, is there anything in particular that it's worth trying to get going now?
You'll need to get an ACRO police certificate - and you'll need it for your medical... but that's still many months away as yet.

I've got to get a copy of my birth certificate for a start...
Make sure it's the long form!

Ian
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Update - got our approval notice through, next steps are to complete DS-160 and get ready for my medical etc

Anything I need to worry about? The guidelines on the https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...iance-k-1.html website actually seem straight forward (remarkably!).
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

My best advice since I've just gone through the K-1 Visa process is to get as much ready as possible as early as possible so you don't need to worry later down the line. Although some documents do need to be within a particular time frame so make sure you abide by individual requirements.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...red-documents/

With regards to the above, start getting everything sorted (one folder for originals and another for copies).
Things like passport photo's (US & UK) you can get now & the police (ACRO) Certificate.

Medical is worth looking at if you need any vaccinations
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...l-examination/

I wouldn't say there is anything to worry about per se. Everyones individual circumstances are different so it would be difficult for me to advise you on whether you have anything to worry about.

Jon
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed this thread.

If you have any questions about the Houston area, feel free to post them on the main USA forum. There's a few forum regulars from the area.

The tax implications of forex transfer are often nothing, since you are taxed on money when you earned it (i.e. before becoming liable to US taxation). You are, however, liable to tax on any gains made through an increase in dollar value through foreign exchange changes, but if you earned most of that money before the Brexit vote, the exchange rate is unlikely to return to above what it was then, so you're likely to have no gain to report. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 7:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Our plan is to have the party next March, but if the visa comes through earlier to get me across to the US sooner rather than later so I can begin my AOS and employment authorisation asap.

Do you mean that you will come to the US as soon as you can and get married right away, and just wait until March to hold the party? You can't start the next steps until you are married.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Do you mean that you will come to the US as soon as you can and get married right away, and just wait until March to hold the party? You can't start the next steps until you are married.
Yeah exactly, quick trip to the courthouse and put the change of status and employment authorisation forms in the mail the next day. Not the most romantic, but it means we'll be together sooner.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

but it means we'll be together sooner.
That's what counts! Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah exactly, quick trip to the courthouse and put the change of status and employment authorisation forms in the mail the next day. Not the most romantic, but it means we'll be together sooner.
You cannot put the forms in the mail the next day. In the past you needed to submit a copy of the registered marriage certificate with the I-485. You will not that have paperwork until after the marriage certificate is filed and you have the registered copy with the filing notations on it.

You can, of course, file with the keepsake copy you receive after the wedding but then you might receive an RFE which will hold up the processing.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You cannot put the forms in the mail the next day. In the past you needed to submit a copy of the registered marriage certificate with the I-485. You will not that have paperwork until after the marriage certificate is filed and you have the registered copy with the filing notations on it.

You can, of course, file with the keepsake copy you receive after the wedding but then you might receive an RFE which will hold up the processing.
Good to know, and I expect that we'll pop off on a mini honeymoon once we get hitched in any case.

That leads to my next question: If I'm on a K1, and get married, can I leave the US and return within the 90 day window before putting in my Change of Status application? I expect that I can't, but would like to confirm as this will impact honeymoon plans!
Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you cannot. After you enter on the K1, you will need to marry, file AOS, and get your AP document in hand. Only then can you travel outside the USA without abandoning your AOS process.

Rene

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, you cannot. After you enter on the K1, you will need to marry, file AOS, and get your AP document in hand. Only then can you travel outside the USA without abandoning your AOS process.

Rene

Rene
Thanks for clarifying, Harry Potter land for honeymoon it is (rather than 3 weeks in New Zealand in a campervan )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.