Help with RFIE

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with RFIE

Hi guys,

So I've got no doubt in my mind that I'm overthinking this one. But I'm hoping someone can at least reassure me a little.

Assembling the RFIE package, all is going well. Get the photocopy of the birth certificate for our joint sponsor to prove US citizenship, all great, ready to go. Boom. Bottom of the birth certificate copy it says 'Warning: It is illegal to duplicate this copy by photostat or photograph'. This is in the state of Pennsylvania.

Doing some initial research it appears the law is in place to try and prevent people passing off a copy of a birth certificate as a certified copy, however if its made known it's simply a photocopy - will there be a problem? I'm not sure how else we can get around this as our joint sponsor does not have a US passport.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with RFIE

Don't worry about it. Nobody is going to knock on your door and haul you off to the lock-up for photocopying a birth certificate.

The copy you send may or may not be accepted and you may have to pay for the owner of the birth certificate to obtain another "original" certificate for you to send, but I wouldn't worry about that unless/ until asked for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't worry about it. Nobody is going to knock on your door and haul you off to the lock-up for photocopying a birth certificate.

The copy you send may or may not be accepted and you may have to pay for the owner of the birth certificate to obtain another "original" certificate for you to send, but I wouldn't worry about that unless/ until asked for it.
Thanks for this - it appears that this is common, and the law is in place to prevent representing photocopies off as originals. I've added 'Photocopy of joint sponsors birth certificate to prove US citizenship' to the cover letter of the RFE so there is no confusion!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you have money to burn then you could send the original certified photocopy.

Personally i'd send a photocopy. Be prepared to take the original to an interview.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I'll just send the photocopy.

Congratulations on finally getting your interview appointment by the way!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Congratulations on finally getting your interview appointment by the way!
Thanks!

I would have preferred a waiver, but at least now there is a date in sight.

Side note, my USCIS status still says finger print fee received from back in December. I've never had luck with that website.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
I'm not sure how else we can get around this as our joint sponsor does not have a US passport.
There's nothing to get around. For US immigration purposes, forms must be original, but all evidence can be photocopied. It's a complete non-issue.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's nothing to get around. For US immigration purposes, forms must be original, but all evidence can be photocopied. It's a complete non-issue.

Ian
Thanks Ian - much appreciated once again! Sending off the RFIE today!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the RFE was sent off today - arriving in MO tomorrow before midday!