Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Titre test. Problem solved.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:42 pm
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Many here are quoting how simple it is to just get your surgery to run a printout of the vaccination record however; this is only simple for them to do if you have been with the same surgery for a number of years. In my case, I had two different GP's during my childhood and then joined the Army. Then after coming out of the Army I remained with military doctors as my ex was still serving, but my records were now held somewhere different. After my ex left, we then moved towns/cities a further three times and since being in my last town, I have had four different surgeries (due to catchment areas). The last two surgeries only had vaccination history going back to 2001 when we had jabs to go to Tunisia.

For me, I had to contact the MOD, request my military medical records and then go and see the practice nurse and together, we pieced together what I'd had in the Army along with my Tunisia jabs and she then gave me the others that I needed free of charge.

I (and the nurse) contacted our local NHS for my childhood records but were informed that they only keep hold of them up to the patient turning 25 years old. After that, I believe they are destroyed and I was clearly told that it was my (or my mum's) responsibility to keep hold of them!!

I'm 45 - I have never had them and I know for sure my mum never kept hold of them (one never suspects that you'll need them again when your kids fly the nest!)

Anyway, for me, it took several weeks of emails, phone calls and visits, but eventually got it done and I would definitely recommend getting them all done here in the UK whilst most of them can be given for free on the NHS.

I asked for a Titre test, but the nurse advised me that this in itself would be more time-consuming getting all the results back etc so I just popped up my sleeve and let her stick those needles in me there and then.... problem solved

I hope your OH gets his sorted soon, get him to speak to a nurse rather than the receptionist as, as someone else has already mentioned, they are usually out of their comfort zone when you ask for something out of the ordinary like this.

Best of luck to you both
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

MusicMan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BibbyBear
Many here are quoting how simple it is to just get your surgery to run a printout of the vaccination record however; this is only simple for them to do if you have been with the same surgery for a number of years. In my case, I had two different GP's during my childhood and then joined the Army. Then after coming out of the Army I remained with military doctors as my ex was still serving, but my records were now held somewhere different. After my ex left, we then moved towns/cities a further three times and since being in my last town, I have had four different surgeries (due to catchment areas). The last two surgeries only had vaccination history going back to 2001 when we had jabs to go to Tunisia.

For me, I had to contact the MOD, request my military medical records and then go and see the practice nurse and together, we pieced together what I'd had in the Army along with my Tunisia jabs and she then gave me the others that I needed free of charge.

I (and the nurse) contacted our local NHS for my childhood records but were informed that they only keep hold of them up to the patient turning 25 years old. After that, I believe they are destroyed and I was clearly told that it was my (or my mum's) responsibility to keep hold of them!!

I'm 45 - I have never had them and I know for sure my mum never kept hold of them (one never suspects that you'll need them again when your kids fly the nest!)

Anyway, for me, it took several weeks of emails, phone calls and visits, but eventually got it done and I would definitely recommend getting them all done here in the UK whilst most of them can be given for free on the NHS.

I asked for a Titre test, but the nurse advised me that this in itself would be more time-consuming getting all the results back etc so I just popped up my sleeve and let her stick those needles in me there and then.... problem solved

I hope your OH gets his sorted soon, get him to speak to a nurse rather than the receptionist as, as someone else has already mentioned, they are usually out of their comfort zone when you ask for something out of the ordinary like this.

Best of luck to you both
That may well be in true in some cases but there was a push many years ago to get the old records out onto computer and the files are usually sent from surgery to surgery even if you move surgeries regularly.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BibbyBear

Best of luck to you both
Then why didn't you just get a titre test and be done with it?

Your GP should have done one during a physical for your records if you'd have asked, other wise it might have cost a couple of quid. Wouldn't take more than a couple weeks and be far quicker trying to piece it all together from different sources.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 1:02 am
In Anticipation

BibbyBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MusicMan71
That may well be in true in some cases but there was a push many years ago to get the old records out onto computer and the files are usually sent from surgery to surgery even if you move surgeries regularly.
The push to get old records onto computer? How long have they been using computers for this because at 45 years of age, my records have been destroyed for approximately 20 years (and believe me, my childhood records are nowhere to be found at county NHS level..... even the nurse tried without success.) And yes, I'm sure some (if not many) surgeries are up to date with getting the records on their systems etc when a patient has moved around. In my case, five months after registering with my surgery (and after already having a couple of doctor appointments in that time) my previous records from the last practice were still sitting in a box in their file room and hadn't been input on their system!

My point wasn't to state that my case was "the norm", it was merely stating that sometimes, things aren't always as simple as hitting the print button so I was merely offering an alternative perspective.

Then why didn't you just get a titre test and be done with it?
Your GP should have done one during a physical for your records if you'd have asked, other wise it might have cost a couple of quid. Wouldn't take more than a couple weeks and be far quicker trying to piece it all together from different sources.
From requesting my military records to actually walking out of the surgery fully up to date with all vaccines required and proof of such, took around two weeks so was no slower than going the Titre Test route.

I never intended my comment to be taken as an argumentative point, just highlighting that everybody seems to have different experiences when requesting their vaccine records (I know, I read enough of them a few months ago when I was looking for help and advice in my state of panic at the time!) and the responses received from surgeries varies dramatically too. I think my point was to show that sometimes it's easier to just request the vaccines that are required be given at your local surgery as this is sometimes quicker, less stressful and most of the vaccines are given free on the NHS.

This was just my viewpoint and not meant as anything other than that.