Reload this Page >

Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

lynnylou2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

Hi everyone!

The last time I was posting about 6 months ago things were still up in the air regarding my husband’s company but it all seems to have turned on its head quite quickly - we sent his I-130 petition at the end of July and hope (fingers doubly crossed) to be out in the US for the beginning of 2013.

The embassy in London seems to be processing I-130’s quite quickly - 7 weeks last estimate; we’re trying to get all of the other documents ready for the next step of my hubby’s green card process.

He’s called up our doctor’s surgery to ask for his vaccination records and everyone he spoke to there seemed a bit perplexed about how to get hold of this. They seemed to think the only way would be to go through all of my historical papers and records and piece it together. They are suggesting it could take several weeks with people being on holiday, etc.

Typical NHS timelines I guess….no wonder this process takes ages!

Alternatively, our visa lawyer has suggested to look at the required vaccinations by age and to check which ones he is required to have. She thought that it may be that he won't need too many injections, or can get evidence of the ones that he needs from the doctor’s surgery rather than the entire list.

I’m just wondering if anyone’s used magic words or know how to more easily obtain access to these records?

We’d really appreciate any help/suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Lynnylou2u
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting the Vaccination Records out of the NHS

I find their attitude a little unusual. When I needed mine, I phoned up my GP and said "I need a copy of my vaccination records" and they said they can either post them out or I could pick them up within the hour. Went down that afternoon and (of course) they had no record that I'd ever called them. Asked them again and they printed the records of their computer straight away at the reception desk. They were ready literally 5 seconds after I asked for them.

Either my GP is extraordinarily organised or the person your husband spoke to at his is incompetent. Don't think it's an NHS problem though. I guess he could try talking to somebody else at the office. Maybe since everyone's on holiday they've got some temp staff in who don't know what they're doing.

Otherwise, ask them to get started on it now. By current estimates I guess it will be another month or so before you hear from the embassy, and another 2-3 weeks before he gets his case number and can book the medical. That should give the GPs office the "several weeks" they need to sort out his records.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Mine took 24 hours and paid a £1 as they were only one sheet. They had to go back through my paper records and check her I had had as a child. Wasn't a problem though!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

I had a minor issue getting hold of mine...my GP in London had no records at all. I managed to contact my GP back where I grew up and they sorted it out very quickly - just asked me to write a letter approving someone I knew I pick them up for me. If youve moved GPs recently may be worth checking with previous ones...worked for me!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnylou2u
He’s called up our doctor’s surgery to ask for his vaccination records and everyone he spoke to there seemed a bit perplexed about how to get hold of this. They seemed to think the only way would be to go through all of my historical papers and records and piece it together. They are suggesting it could take several weeks with people being on holiday, etc.
Why don't you just get a copy of the complete record and piece it together yourself - or just highlight anything dealing with vaccinations?

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The standard cost for records is £1 per sheet - that could get a trifle expensive depending on the complexity of the OPs medical history.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The standard cost for records is £1 per sheet - that could get a trifle expensive depending on the complexity of the OPs medical history.
In a nutshell - not my problem, or yours! I gave the OP a viable course of action; I wasn't interested in whether or not it was economically feasible.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Originally Posted by civilservant
In a nutshell - not my problem, or yours! I gave the OP a viable course of action; I wasn't interested in whether or not it was economically feasible.

Ian
Not necessarily standard either. Mine were free.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

They should just be able to go on your records to the vaccination page and print that page. I had an appointment with the nurse to get my daughters routine injections and she printed this off for me as well while giving me a TdaP that i needed for the visa. I had it done previously but there was no record of it so it was as simple as just get it done again and make sure they make a record.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...ccinechart.pdf That is the list of vaccination requirements. Assuming your husband is between age 18 and 64, he will only need TdaP and the flu (if the medical is during flu season october 1st to march 1st i believe) and the MMR if he was born in 1957 or later and TWO shots are needed 4 weeks apart. So if it is going to take weeks or if they cant find his records, it may be much easier just to get the shots again.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

lynnylou2u is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses everyone!

It's as I suspected...

I thought it should be a very straight forward process and held all in one place somewhere...I mean,what if a doctor needed to know this information quickly – what would the admin staff do, make them wait for weeks to search for it?

I've advised my OH to talk to his GP where he grew up, as you tend to get most of your injections when you're young, and also to try to speak to someone else at our surgery to see if there's an easier way.

I don't think his medical record would be very long - we're only 28 and he hasn't had any major or even minor health issues really. But if there is an easier way to get the information together without having to piece it together ourselves, I'll take it!

In any case, you're right; at least he can get going on it now so that by the time it's approved and has a case number, they will have his medical records sorted out.

I love the support on this site!

Thanks again all!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Yes - talking to his childhood surgery could be a good idea.

In a similar situation I spoke to my childhood surgery and they told me to come in that same afternoon. In fact, as some of my paperwork didn't show what immunizations I'd been given (at least not clearly enough for the embassy) I was also given a couple of shots for free which saved me having to get and pay for them on the US side.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

raceman is on a distinguished road

Just a minor piece of advice, if you need any shots, have them done at/before your UK medical, as having them later, and haing them confirmed on the I-693 is a complete nightmare.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's spouse appears to be applying for an immigrant visa. There isn't going to be any I-693.

Good advice for K1s, though, but that's a different thread.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by raceman
Just a minor piece of advice, if you need any shots, have them done at/before your UK medical, as having them later, and haing them confirmed on the I-693 is a complete nightmare.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

MusicMan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The other way to do this might be to make an appointment at your surgery to see the travel nurse. Take a copy of the requirements with you and present it to the nurse and ask what you need to have to meet the requirements.
(bear in mind though, they deal with travel, not immigration so you might know more than they do about what you need)
They should be able to pull up your records to see what you have had, and after they have given you any shots you need, ask if you could have a quick print off of that history with that days' shots added in.

Surgeries vary in terms of their approach and costs for shots and print outs; most shots are generally free though.

Sometimes with the NHS it's better to work from the inside rather than a receptionist that, whilst the majority try (and do) a great job, this request is a little unusual and they are ill-prepared for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnylou2u
Hi everyone!

The last time I was posting about 6 months ago things were still up in the air regarding my husband’s company but it all seems to have turned on its head quite quickly - we sent his I-130 petition at the end of July and hope (fingers doubly crossed) to be out in the US for the beginning of 2013.

The embassy in London seems to be processing I-130’s quite quickly - 7 weeks last estimate; we’re trying to get all of the other documents ready for the next step of my hubby’s green card process.

Typical NHS timelines I guess….no wonder this process takes ages!

Alternatively, our visa lawyer has suggested to look at the required vaccinations by age and to check which ones he is required to have. She thought that it may be that he won't need too many injections, or can get evidence of the ones that he needs from the doctor’s surgery rather than the entire list.

I’m just wondering if anyone’s used magic words or know how to more easily obtain access to these records?

We’d really appreciate any help/suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Lynnylou2u
Not sure if you have sorted this, but all I did was make an appointment to see the nurse at my GPs office, she was able to pull up all shots I had ever had, gave her a list of what was required for the medical and gave me them all for free except one, which is not required, but paid to have it done which was the varicella at a cost of around 70 quid.

I must state at this point that heb b, I believe and boosters were all I required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.