Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to make an account. I need advice...

I'm planning to get married on the VWP, return home to the UK after 2 weeks, and then go through the process of a CR1 visa.

However, i'm feeling a little nervous about being questioned at the border when i reach the US. I was planning to fly with my wedding dress in my hand luggage (It isn't very big), in which case, when asked about the reason for my visit should i say I'm there to get married? Could this cause problems? Some people have suggested that i should fed-ex my dress to the US and then tell them that i'm just visiting.

I definitely don't want to lie because i know that can cause a lot of trouble. I've visited the US 6 times already to visit my fiance, and never had any problems before. I guess i'm just fretting over worst case scenarios. Has anyone else been through a similar situation and did you have to provide any proof that you weren't planning to stay in the US? I already have my return ticket home, and my employer has offered to write me a letter saying that i have a permanent job here in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Take the proof of ties to the UK and don't volunteer any more information than required in order to answer the questions.

Don't volunteer the proof, but have it in your back pocket just in case.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute

So when they ask "What is the purpose of your visit?" what should i say?
Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieN
So when they ask "What is the purpose of your visit?" what should i say?
I would say vacation.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning to fly with my wedding dress in my hand luggage...
This is not a good strategy. Put it in your checked baggage. Why? You don't want to give the officer any reason to ask whether or not you're going to get married. He will assume, whether correct or not, that you intend to stay afterwards and that'll get you sent back home on the next flight.

... when asked about the reason for my visit should i say I'm there to get married?
If he asks you whether or not you're visiting in order to get married, then say yes - because he asked the direct question. If however, he doesn't specifically ask, you are not obligated to volunteer information and, in fact, you shouldn't. The purpose for your visit is a holiday. What you do on that holiday is your own business.

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2017, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is not a good strategy. Put it in your checked baggage. Why? You don't want to give the officer any reason to ask whether or not you're going to get married. He will assume, whether correct or not, that you intend to stay afterwards and that'll get you sent back home on the next flight.

If he asks you whether or not you're visiting in order to get married, then say yes - because he asked the direct question. If however, he doesn't specifically ask, you are not obligated to volunteer information and, in fact, you shouldn't. The purpose for your visit is a holiday. What you do on that holiday is your own business.

Ian
It is quite common for a bride to 'carry on' her wedding dress...thus removing the possibility of it getting lost.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 11:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
What a load of BS. I was asked when I flew in and I said to get married. Was wished good luck and had my passport stamped. As no doubt have many before and since.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

I keep getting conflicting information. I think i'll be better off posting the dress off. If it gets lost i'll just get married in my normal clothes. I can't get married if i'm being frog-marched out of the country.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I keep getting conflicting information. I think i'll be better off posting the dress off. If it gets lost i'll just get married in my normal clothes. I can't get married if i'm being frog-marched out of the country.
I agree with Tom's posts, that's what I did when I came to get married. I also chose to fly in to Newark (where I had only the briefest interaction with the immigration officer) having previously been given the third degree arriving in the US at Podunk International, so I would recommend flying in to one of the major airports even if it means taking a connecting flight.

So far as "posting" your dress goes, I would use FedEx or UPS as you get seamless end-to-end tracking, which you don't get using the Royal Mail/USPS.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

I'm flying into Dulles. I've never had any problems before at the border but i don't want to tempt fate. I fly in 2 weeks so i need to get a move on
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is quite common for a bride to 'carry on' her wedding dress...thus removing the possibility of it getting lost.
I'm sure it is! CBP's default position, however, is that all persons seeking to enter the US have the intention to stay. So, whether or not it's common (and if she was entering on a K-1, I would have said it doesn't matter), when she shows up with a wedding dress it's another reason for the officer to ask the question. The OP asked if it could cause problems - and yes, it could. Will it? I've no idea... but I answered the question she asked.

Ian
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You are getting conflicting information because there's no right or wrong answer.

The only advice is general in nature...answer only the question asked, volunteer no further information and never lie.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying into Dulles. I've never had any problems before at the border but i don't want to tempt fate. I fly in 2 weeks so i need to get a move on
I would say Dulles is a good choice.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, the dress is in the post. If they ask me what the purpose of my visit is i'll say i'm on vacation. Thank you for your help everyone.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... answer only the question asked, volunteer no further information and never lie. .....
This is crucial advice IMO, be pleasant but only answer the question asked - do not get suckered into filling gaps between questions with rambling answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.