Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married on a B1/B2 visa but working for a UK company abroad.

Getting married on a B1/B2 visa but working for a UK company abroad.

Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Jamtex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married on a B1/B2 visa but working for a UK company abroad.

For the last twevle years I have worked a UK art gallery and my job consists of going to various countries, setting up an exhibition, maintaining it and after three to six months taking it down and leaving the country. During venues I get a month or two off, which I normally use to travel. This does mean I have lived in the UK for less then a year in the last ten years.

I want to marry my US fiancée, but the K1 visa seems a lot of hassle as for the foreseeable future I plan to keep my job (and I have a thre year contract at least) so I will probably live in the states for no more then 120 days a year. I was working in Canada and travelled to the States nearly every two weeks in a hire car with the primary purpose of buying parts and having meetings, which was true and did not have any hassle even though I was staying with my gf for 2 to 4 days at a time.

I am going to Kentucky next year for 4 and a half months to set up an exhibition, do maintence and deinstall the exhibition, with my wages being paid by my UK employers. I have a B1/B2 visa for this reason (which I applied and got in Greece 2 years ago, my was it simple, 5 minute free online booking, turn up with contracts, wait 90 minutes, get seen twice for a whole 15 minutes, pay fees and get Passport sent back to me in 4 days).

When I am in Kentucky I would like to marry my fiancée of 2 years and wondering if I would have any problems as my primary purpose for being in the US is going to be business.

Once I am married will I have any issues with visiting my wife, once I leave the states?

Should I start a CR1 once I leave the states?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on a B1/B2 visa but working for a UK company abroad.

You should have no problems getting married - but may well have problems entering on a tourist visa when you are married, since the officer ma believe you may attempt to adjust status.

You should start the CR1 process, yes, although it sounds as if getting a police certificate for everywhere you have spent 6 months could be challenging. Also, spending less than 120 days in the US every year may be a problem for continuing as a Permeant Resident when you do eventually get a Green Card - although this could be avoided by maintaining ties to the US (house, wife etc)
Old Sep 29th 2013, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on a B1/B2 visa but working for a UK company abroad.

Originally Posted by Jamtex
This does mean I have lived in the UK for less then a year in the last ten years.
When you were going from country to country, did you maintain a permanent address in the UK? If so, then yes... you lived in the UK, and you were visiting these other countries - even though you visited for an extended period of time.

I am going to Kentucky next year...
Where?

When I am in Kentucky I would like to marry my fiancée of 2 years and wondering if I would have any problems as my primary purpose for being in the US is going to be business.
You won't have a problem getting married, no. When you enter the US for that trip and you're talking to the CBP officer, stick to the business aspects of your trip. You're not obligated to volunteer information not specifically asked about. So, unless you're specifically asked whether or not you have a USC fiancée, don't volunteer that information.

Once I am married will I have any issues with visiting my wife, once I leave the states?
This is a bit more problematic as civilservent suggests... but as long as you can demonstrate that you're pursuing a CR-1 visa and have no intent to remain in the US on that particular trip, you'll probably be fine.

Your (then) wife can file an I-130 (to start the CR-1 process) the day you get married if you want. You're not obligated to be outside the US before that process starts.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2013, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
... it sounds as if getting a police certificate for everywhere you have spent 6 months could be challenging.
Not 6 months. He needs a police certificate from a country if he has, in fact, lived there for 12 months or more. Operative word = lived. If he has maintained a permanent address in the UK, then he hasn't lived in these other countries... he's only been visiting long-term.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you should not have any problem marrying your fiancée while in the USA on business.

There's no way to know ahead of time. Since you have a long history if visiting the USA and leaving on time, you probably won't have an issue.

Only if you want to permanent live in the USA. I couldn't quite tell from your post if that's what you have in mind or not.

If it is, you don't have to wait until you leave the USA. As Ian says, your wife can file the I-130 while you are still in the USA. However, after 8 to 10 months, you should make sure you're ready to live in the USA permanently, without making frequent extended trips abroad.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the answers. Does put my mind at rest for most of them.

I did keep an address in london for tax, banking, driving licence, etc. Although technically it is my bosses address but I don't really stay there (tend to stay in apartment hotels when I do return to the UK shortly).

I will be in Lexington, KY.

I would probably want to live in the US permenantly, but still work for my current employers in the UK and work around the work.

Is there any more information about the green card in terms of leaving the US, etc?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably want to live in the US permenantly, but still work for my current employers in the UK and work around the work.
If you are a US Permanent Resident, you are allowed to travel or work overseas, but you must maintain your ties to the USA, and must be able to prove that your permanent home is the USA and that trips abroad (for whatever reason) are temporary. If you spend too much time outside the USA, you risk losing your US PR status, and depending on how much time you're outside the USA, it will prevent (or delay you) from becoming a US citizen.

Is there any more information about the green card in terms of leaving the US, etc?
www.uscis.gov, perhaps.

Also, if you're thinking of becoming a USC eventually, you'll want to read the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, also at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

I will be in Lexington, KY.
Sheila and I love Lexington... we'd move there in a heartbeat if we got the chance. We'll be 2 hours east of you!

Ian
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Well no longer going to Kentucky and working in Sweden. However I still want to marry my fiance later this year and want to know how easy or difficult this might be.

I want to marry in Chicago (so my Finances family can attend easily) and it seems that all I need is a UK passport and Birth Cerficate, anyone married this way before?

I have no intention of living in the US for at least the next three years, although I will probably visit for a week to a month every 3 to 4 months for about a year in both visiting her and doing business.

I am working for long periods of time in a number of countries in Europe. The plan is that my wife will live with me whilst I work. All of them seem to have fairly straight forward procedures for my spouse to live with me. Although ironically not the UK....

Last edited by Jamtex; Mar 20th 2014 at 4:45 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:46 am

I want to marry in Chicago (so my Finances family can attend easily) and it seems that all I need is a UK passport and Birth Cerficate, anyone married this way before?
Perhaps not even the birth certificate, just your UK passport. Double check the requirements in the state of Illinois.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well no longer going to Kentucky and working in Sweden. However I still want to marry my fiance later this year and want to know how easy or difficult this might be.

I want to marry in Chicago (so my Finances family can attend easily) and it seems that all I need is a UK passport and Birth Cerficate, anyone married this way before? ....
Not on a B1/B2, nor in Chicago, or even IL. I did marry on a VWP visit though. Personally I'd recommend a "belt and braces" approach, bringing multiple forms of ID: Passport (naturally), birth certificate, and also your driving licence, because American bureaucracy obsesses over DLs, and notwithstanding the adequacy and sufficiency of PP + BC, the DL will probably oil the wheels of the government bureaucracy that issues marriage licenses.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2014 at 5:23 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I married on the VWP, and only needed my passport - I did however need to give an SSN, and since I wasn't entitled to one I had to attend at an SSA office and get a letter to that effect. Not difficult, just took a little more time.