Reload this Page >

form i-864 income and assets

form i-864 income and assets

Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:59 am
Just Joined

expatDC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default form i-864 income and assets

Hello,
Just filling in form i-864 ahead of the green card interview.

I am a USC and my wife is british but we are both working in the UK at present so will be using assets to cover the poverty level requirement.

When I declare my income ahead in the form, should I just list 0 given it is earned in the UK? The instructions for the form in the IRS filing section suggests only my adjusted income (IRS form 2555) is valid for the income requirement anyway, and I my entire income currently falls below the 2555 exclusion.

I am using my net home value as an asset to cover the poverty guideline. It is a UK home, so valued in sterling. I assume that I should convert the net value of my home into dollars using the latest Treasury conversion rate as I do when filing taxes. Does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: form i-864 income and assets

Hi and welcome to BE.

The interview will be for an immigrant visa (not a green card).

Answer all questions honestly. If it asks for current income, you should list it, even though it's earned in the UK. If you have income, the answer won't be 0.

Yes, convert the asset value from Sterling to US dollars.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Also take proof of the valuation, such as an appraisal.

Also prove that you have the equity on the home. If you have a mortgage still for 50% then you can't use that 50% as an asset.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
Also take proof of the valuation, such as an appraisal.

Also prove that you have the equity on the home. If you have a mortgage still for 50% then you can't use that 50% as an asset.
What Tom says. I just attended my embassy interview and hadnt read we needed to take proof !! I left with a blue form requesting more info