British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Form I-129F experiences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/form-i-129f-experiences-906850/)

Trilo Dec 13th 2017 10:04 pm

Form I-129F experiences

Hi,

Me and my US fiance have started the ball rolling to Petition for Alien Fiance.

It is all a little daunting and stressful as a lot of you probably know all too well.

My question is, when including my Beneficiary's Statement of Intent to Marry, is a scanned signed photo copy acceptable or would I need to post my fiance an original signed letter in penned ink?

Also, where it asks about aliases and nicknames on the form, is this regards other legal names you are known by? Obviously not pet names, but names regarded in some lines of work maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help :)

BenK91 Dec 14th 2017 12:43 am

Re: Form I-129F experiences

Originally Posted by Trilo (Post 12399367)
Hi,

Me and my US fiance have started the ball rolling to Petition for Alien Fiance.

It is all a little daunting and stressful as a lot of you probably know all too well.

My question is, when including my Beneficiary's Statement of Intent to Marry, is a scanned signed photo copy acceptable or would I need to post my fiance an original signed letter in penned ink?

Also, where it asks about aliases and nicknames on the form, is this regards other legal names you are known by? Obviously not pet names, but names regarded in some lines of work maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help :)

For the sake of not (potentially) get an RFE I’d include a signed original.

And yes it’s in regards to other legal names.

Rete Dec 14th 2017 4:46 am

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12399421)
For the sake of not (potentially) get an RFE I’d include a signed original.

And yes it’s in regards to other legal names.

Item Numbers 7.a. - 7.c. Other Names Used. Provide any other names you have used including your aliases, maiden
name, and nicknames. If you have used additional names, provide them in Part 8. Additional Information

I disagree that it only means to put down your legal name. A legal name is the name on your birth certificate or name change certificate from court or the legal use of a husband's surname if you were previously married and are a women and answering that question.

It asks for names that you have used and nicknames. I am known as Rete to people online and to some in my private life. I listed that name on the I-129F and on the then required biographical form. Rete is NOT my legal name. It is a nickname and an online persona.

Of course I didn't put that I was known as Mom or Mommy. That would be silly wouldn't it :lol:

BTW having been in the legal field as an administrative assistant and paralegal, the general rule in law is to sign documents in blue ink. It makes it easier to tell a copy from the original.

Also be careful how you answer questions when using N/A or None. If you are asked how many children you have and you have never been a parent, the answer is not N/A but it is None. If you are asked if you have ever been married before it is not N/A but No. If you don't have an alien registration number put a line through the box. If you don't have a social security number, again put a line through the box.

MidAtlantic Dec 14th 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399463)
[I]BTW having been in the legal field as an administrative assistant and paralegal, the general rule in law is to sign documents in blue ink. It makes it easier to tell a copy from the original.

Just had this discussion with my boss, who always signs in blue and he gave the same reason. However when I did a color photocopy he could not tell the difference.

Noorah101 Dec 14th 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12399652)
Just had this discussion with my boss, who always signs in blue and he gave the same reason. However when I did a color photocopy he could not tell the difference.

Interesting, because on an original, you'd be able to feel or see where the pen hit the paper on the backside of the paper. You would not find that on a color photocopy. That would be the way to tell the original from the photocopy.

Rene

BenK91 Dec 14th 2017 4:04 pm

Rete and Rene's advice would be what I'd follow as they're significantly more experienced than me!

Just for the record though, my legal name is Benjamin but I go by Ben. I didn't put Ben down in those boxes and it didn't get mentioned but I'd still follow the advice above :)