Financial Question

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Question

Hi everybody,

Yet another question! I am a UKC, my girlfriend is UKC/USC. We live in London together, will marry in March, and then start the CR1 process. We both work here and will go to the US without any work lined up. Does this mean we need a financial sponsor over in the US?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Question

Yes, IF you don't have assets large enough to fulfill the financial criteria of the I-864. You can find the chart for the financial criteria at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

For a family of 2 = $16,460

So it would be $16,460 x 3 = $49,380 in assets.

If you don't have that, then a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident residing in the US who can meet the financial criteria to sponsor you would be acceptable. They would need income or assets to cover a family their size PLUS 1 (you). Your wife still needs to complete an I-864 for you and then your financial sponsor would complete their own. Both will be taken to the interview at the US Consulate.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, IF you don't have assets large enough to fulfill the financial criteria of the I-864. You can find the chart for the financial criteria at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

For a family of 2 = $16,460

So it would be $16,460 x 3 = $49,380 in assets.

If you don't have that, then a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident residing in the US who can meet the financial criteria to sponsor you would be acceptable. They would need income or assets to cover a family their size PLUS 1 (you). Your wife still needs to complete an I-864 for you and then your financial sponsor would complete their own. Both will be taken to the interview at the US Consulate.
Great, thanks. She owns a flat in London and has a US bank account with around $45000 in it. I take it the flat counts as an asset eVen though it isn't in the US?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theroon
Great, thanks. She owns a flat in London and has a US bank account with around $45000 in it. I take it the flat counts as an asset eVen though it isn't in the US?
Yes. She will need to supply proof of how much equity she has in the condo, and also how much it might currently sell for.

Will she be selling it or renting it out? If she's planning to rent it out, it won't be a good asset, as it won't easily be liquidated within a year if needed (can't kick tenants out). But if it's actually rented out by the time of the interview, the rental income can count as income.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 23rd 2018 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. She will need to supply proof of how much equity she has in the condo, and also how much it might currently sell for.

Will she be selling it or renting it out? If she's planning to rent it out, it won't be a good asset, as it won't easily be liquidated within a year if needed (can't kick tenants out). But if it's actually rented out by the time of the interview, the rental income can count as income.

Rene
Thanks, Rene. I wonder if I should just put some funds in her account so we meet the cash assets in her US account?

She is planning to use an Air b&b company to look after the flat. I suppose that takes away the problem of needing to liquidate in a year?

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are married, your money becomes hers and hers becomes yours. Your funds can remain in your separate account and still be counted as an asset.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Once you are married, your money becomes hers and hers becomes yours. Your funds can remain in your separate account and still be counted as an asset.
Oh great! Thanks very much Rete.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Rene. I wonder if I should just put some funds in her account so we meet the cash assets in her US account?

She is planning to use an Air b&b company to look after the flat. I suppose that takes away the problem of needing to liquidate in a year?

Thanks
Probably better looking at long term renting, I assume when you mention abb you mean short term renting.

And that would count as income.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Probably better looking at long term renting, I assume when you mention abb you mean short term renting.

And that would count as income.

Hi all. Just to clarify the situation: My wife is a US/UK citizen. We live in London and plan to move the US next year. To meet the financial obligations, is it enough that she can show a US bank account with $49,380? I feel that would be the easiest way to. If she doesn't quite have that amount, could I or or family members just top it up for her?

She does have a mortgage in London which is tiny - around £400 per month, and is planning to air b and b it while we're in the US. That seems to be a bit more of a complicated way to show she has adequate funds.
Thanks very much in advance once again.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Any cash or assets must be 3x the amount lacking in income. Both her and your assets count because you're married.

people can't really loan or gift you the cash.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Any cash or assets must be 3x the amount lacking in income. Both her and your assets count because you're married.

people can't really loan or gift you the cash.

Rene
Thanks. But how would they know? They see a bank account with $50,000 in it. What does it matter where that money comes from?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:36 pm

I suppose you could risk it, but they may ask to see bank statements to make sure there wasn't a large lump sum deposited, and if there was, they can ask for proof of where it came from.

money coming from family needs to be a gift, with no expectation of repayment.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

I suppose you could risk it, but they may ask to see bank statements to make sure there wasn't a large lump sum deposited, and if there was, they can ask for proof of where it came from.

money coming from family needs to be a gift, with no expectation of repayment.

Rene
Thanks again. I don't see why it would be necessary to confirm it needs to be repaid. Obviously that could be a private arrangement between the family though. Anyway, we let's say she has $25,000 in a US account and I have the equivalent of $25000 in a Uk account, does that mean we reach the threshold? She has a flat in london - worth about £400,000. She has a tiny mortgage on it..about £400 per month. Could that me used? Sorry for all these questions but it does seem a bit confusing to me.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:26 pm

Thanks again. I don't see why it would be necessary to confirm it needs to be repaid.
It could be necessary to prove that it WON'T be repaid. The money must be yours to keep, it can't be a loan just to meet the financial requirements.

Anyway, we let's say she has $25,000 in a US account and I have the equivalent of $25000 in a Uk account, does that mean we reach the threshold?
Assuming there is no income at all being used? Just using assets alone? If that's the case, and it's just the 2 of you (no kids or other dependents), the income level needs to be $20,575. If assets are used, multiply by 3. That means you'd need at least $61,725 in cash or property value. So no, $50,000 won't be enough.

She has a flat in london - worth about £400,000. She has a tiny mortgage on it..about £400 per month. Could that me used?
Depends. How much equity is in the property? What is she going to do with it, sell it? Rent it out? The equity can count as an asset. If it's sold by the time you immigrate, that cash can count as an asset. If it's rented out, the twenty money is considered income.

Sorry for all these questions but it does seem a bit confusing to me.

Thanks in advance.
No problem. But remember, the I-864 is a form that the USC fills out. So you don't really have to stress about it or understand it... it's up to the USC to figure it out.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:29 pm

By the way, the figures I used are the latest available at www.uscis.gov, Form I-864 page. Have you guys looked at the form and instructions? On the web page, to the right, you'll see a link to the I-864P which shows the income thresholds.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.