Reload this Page >

Filing I-130 from UK, few questions for clarifications

Filing I-130 from UK, few questions for clarifications

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Littlej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing I-130 from UK, few questions for clarifications

Hello!

My husband (UK citizen) and I (US citizen) are looking into filing the IR-3. My understanding is that we complete the following for this:

- I-130 form
(complete with copies of birth certificate or all pages of passport, copy of marriage license, passport photo[s], evidence of marriage)
- cover letter
- payment via personal check or money order
- form G-325A

- G-1145 is optional for email/text notification once app is received

I have a few questions:

- What are the benefits of DCF at the US embassy in London versus mailing it into USCIS in Chicago? Is it a lot quicker/cheaper? Can it be hand delivered or just send it in?

- is the same 'relationship evidence' sufficient as when we would have applied to move to the UK on a spouse visa? A printed screen shot of each month we corresponded throughout our relationship, a few cards, a few photos.

- I noticed there's a fee waiver application, is this only really applicable for people in extreme circumstances and/or make below a certain salary? I thought it was but just wanted to find out if this is worth a try.

- After the I-130 is received, NVC is in charge of the app and will send my husband 2 more forms to fill out and schedule his interview in London. Correct? Is there a required medical exam for this? We didn't have one for me to move to the UK, just wondering!

- To our understanding, the I-130 will permit him to work upon arrival in the US (with approval of course), is this correct? The I-130 mentions a part with making adjustments/changes to the status of the beneficiary regarding work status/green card status and wanted to double check this.

And a few questions on the I-130 itself!

- when it asks for the petitioners address, does it want my current address which wil be in the UK until my visa expires here, or does it want a permanent address in the US (my parents would do)? The form asks for past addresses in the last 5 years, I have my current, and 3 others. Does this matter? Which would be priority (one is my parents, one is another address in England)

- on the form, if the section/question doesn't apply to our situation and doesn't list 'if any' do we need to put N/A or just leave it totally blank?

- Do they want my mother's maiden name or current/married name when asking who my parents are?

- Part 4 10. we filed a visa with the UK to move here, however this question would be 'no' correct? as never filed with the US for anything regarding our relationship or his status other than visitor visa on his own, without me petitioning.

- Part 4 12.a - parents address (perm US address or 'same')?

- Part 4 13a. my current UK shared address/'same'?

- Part 4 61a. - beneficiary is not in US at time of filing, Green card app/adjustment required?

- are the last pages which note interpreter/preparer information required to be submitted if not applicable, and if so just fill in with N/A or leave blank?

sorry if any of these seem silly! just want to be thorough. Any timelines/experiences are much appreciated

thanks so much!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing I-130 from UK, few questions for clarifications

Originally Posted by Littlej
I-130 form (complete with copies of birth certificate or all pages of passport, copy of marriage license, passport photo[s], evidence of marriage)
Not the marriage license... the marriage certificate (unless they're on the same piece of paper). The certificate is usually signed by the officiant and is registered with the local council/county clerk.

form G-325A
The G-325A is no longer used. Use form I-130A instead.

What are the benefits of DCF at the US embassy in London versus mailing it into USCIS in Chicago? Is it a lot quicker/cheaper? Can it be hand delivered or just send it in?
It is both quicker and less expensive. It can't be hand delivered and must be sent through the mail/post. You can only use DCF if you (the USC) are living in the UK in something other than non-visitor status.

is the same 'relationship evidence' sufficient as when we would have applied to move to the UK on a spouse visa? A printed screen shot of each month we corresponded throughout our relationship, a few cards, a few photos.
That information is found in the I-130 and I-130 Instructions.

I noticed there's a fee waiver application, is this only really applicable for people in extreme circumstances and/or make below a certain salary? I thought it was but just wanted to find out if this is worth a try.
Don't bother trying to waive the fee. If one of you can afford a transatlantic relocation, you can well afford the fee!

After the I-130 is received, NVC is in charge of the app and will send my husband 2 more forms to fill out and schedule his interview in London. Correct?
This is true only if the I-130 is sent to the US for filing. If you file in London, the NVC is not involved in the process at all. If you have the choice of DCF and filing in the US, you'd be mental not to file DCF.

Is there a required medical exam for this? We didn't have one for me to move to the UK, just wondering!
Yes - your UKC spouse must attend a medical as part of the process.

To our understanding, the I-130 will permit him to work upon arrival in the US (with approval of course), is this correct?
No. The I-130 is a petition that establishes the relationship between a USC and a non-USC. Once the I-130 is approved, your husband will then apply for an immigrant visa. It's the endorsed immigrant visa that will allow him to work upon entry to the US. It will be endorsed when he arrives.

The terms are not interchangeable.

The I-130 mentions a part with making adjustments/changes to the status of the beneficiary regarding work status/green card status and wanted to double check this.
This will not apply to you.

when it asks for the petitioners address, does it want my current address which wil be in the UK until my visa expires here, or does it want a permanent address in the US (my parents would do)?
It asks for your address. Give them your address. If you live in the UK, then that's the address you use.

The form asks for past addresses in the last 5 years, I have my current, and 3 others. Does this matter? Which would be priority (one is my parents, one is another address in England)
Answer the questions as asked and don't try to make sense of them. They're just simple questions... try not to complicate things.

on the form, if the section/question doesn't apply to our situation and doesn't list 'if any' do we need to put N/A or just leave it totally blank?
Since you don't get to determine whether or not a question is applicable, draw a line through the answer space. I suggest you not leave anything blank.

Do they want my mother's maiden name or current/married name when asking who my parents are?
If they wanted her maiden name, they would have asked for it... so, enter the name she currently uses.

we filed a visa with the UK to move here, however this question would be 'no' correct?
Correct.

Part 4 12.a - parents address (perm US address or 'same')?
Answer the question as asked.

Part 4 13a. my current UK shared address/'same'?
Answer the question as asked.

Part 4 61a. - beneficiary is not in US at time of filing, Green card app/adjustment required?
Answer the question truthfully.

are the last pages which note interpreter/preparer information required to be submitted if not applicable
Yes - but in this case, you can leave those sections blank.

Ian