Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filed I-751 then divorced, what now?

Filed I-751 then divorced, what now?

Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

loughman46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filed I-751 then divorced, what now?

Hi everybody . First time poster here.

I'll give a little background first.

I met my USC ex wife in 2009 in Ireland, came to the U.S. in 2013 on a K-1 visa and married within the 90 day period allowed.
I filed the I-751 in August 2016 but was still waiting for a decision when we divorced in October 2017.
I haven't informed USCIS of the divorce yet, so my question is how to proceed from here?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filed I-751 then divorced, what now?

First the good news - the minions of the dark forces allow you to shift a pending joint petition to a waiver of a joint petition. This was not always true so you might see some old information saying a new petition is necessary.

That said, the nature of you divorce is governed by state, not Federal law. Current DHS procedures are in flux and can vary by location.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
First the good news - the minions of the dark forces allow you to shift a pending joint petition to a waiver of a joint petition. This was not always true so you might see some old information saying a new petition is necessary.

That said, the nature of you divorce is governed by state, not Federal law. Current DHS procedures are in flux and can vary by location.

Could you possibly unscramble the above so that the reader has some idea what you are talking about?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks S Folinsky. My I-751 was filed through the Callifornia Service Center and my divorce was in Oregon.
In terms of what to do now, is my next step simply to send a letter informing USCIS of the divorce, include a copy of the Notice Of Entry Of Judgement and ask them to amend the jointly filed I-751 to a divorce waiver?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:31 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loughman46
Thanks S Folinsky. My I-751 was filed through the Callifornia Service Center and my divorce was in Oregon.
In terms of what to do now, is my next step simply to send a letter informing USCIS of the divorce, include a copy of the Notice Of Entry Of Judgement and ask them to amend the jointly filed I-751 to a divorce waiver?
I really do not know what the best way to handle it would be. I hang out in immigration lawyer groups and sites and there is a fair degree of head scratching on what to do.

Dan Larsson in Bend is a fine immigration lawyer.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 1:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are now filing with a divorce waiver, make sure you have evidence for a good faith marriage, hopefully you kept documentation.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies but what I'm asking is, do I have to file a new I-751 with a divorce waiver or do i just write a letter to USCIS asking them to amend my jointly filed I-751 as I'm now divorced?
Please keep the replies as simple as possible. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies but what I'm asking is, do I have to file a new I-751 with a divorce waiver or do i just write a letter to USCIS asking them to amend my jointly filed I-751 as I'm now divorced?
I dont know the answer, but it sounds to me that Mr. F thinks sending in a new I-751 is old information. Therefore, my layman's guess is to simply notify USCIS and see what happens. I would include a copy of the final divorce decree at least.

For a non-layman's answer, please consult with an immigration attorney.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2018, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Option A

update the existing I 751

Option B

File a new one
Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:24 am
BE Commentator

Two things seem to be certain: first, a new I-751 is not necessary. Second, using the on-line AR-11 form, make sure to keep your address with CIS up to date including the ancillary report for pending applications.

Absent a pending Request For Evidence (aka RFE), CIS is notorious for not hooking up mailed in submissions with pending applications.

I know what I would do, but respected colleagues disagree.

Good luck.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 6th 2018 at 12:27 am.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to file a new I-751.
Write requesting a change to a divorce waiver, and enclosing a copy of your final divorce paperwork, and a copy of your original I-797C receipt/extension letter.

Divorce waiver petitions are still adjudicated on the evidence provided, so I hope you kept it all!
More than likely to be scheduled for an interview once you switch to a waiver, but this will be only for you, not your ex spouse.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:58 am
Account Closed

I would also mention that this is a pretty common situation so nothing particular to be concerned about, people with very little evidence seem to get approved.