Family sponsorship

Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all
Default Family sponsorship

Hi,
i have visit the US many times and would love to move there permanently. I'm looking at applying through family sponsorship, my sister is a US citizen. I know this is my only hope. My question is, would this only allow entry for myself? How would my wife stand?
I know this procedure can take many years but i'm willing to wait. Has anyone on here gained entry through this way and did it take many years?

Thanks for all yor help.
Malcolm
Old Jun 18th 2006, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family sponsorship

Originally Posted by Malcs66
My question is, would this only allow entry for myself? How would my wife stand?
Since your wife is not considered an immediate relative to your sister, only you would be allowed to immigrate. Your wife would need to wait until you are a PR before you could apply... and then she'd be on a waiting list for many years - because there is an annual quota for immediate relatives of PRs. Once you become a USC, the quota disappears and then things would speed up quite a bit. If this is the route you want to take, you and your wife will be apart for many years.

I know this is my only hope.
Why? Do you not qualify for any other type of visa?

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2006, 1:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since your wife is not considered an immediate relative to your sister, only you would be allowed to immigrate. Your wife would need to wait until you are a PR before you could apply... and then she'd be on a waiting list for many years - because there is an annual quota for immediate relatives of PRs. Once you become a USC, the quota disappears and then things would speed up quite a bit. If this is the route you want to take, you and your wife will be apart for many years.
Why? Do you not qualify for any other type of visa?Ian
Not so sure there.. I though the family of the sibling was included...
still take around 13 years though!...
Old Jun 18th 2006, 1:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not so sure there.. I though the family of the sibling was included...
still take around 13 years though!...

Agree. You can bring the wife (and kids) if you must.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit

i don't think my wife and kids would be too pleased if i left them behind!! Thanks for your replies.
Ian, do i qualify for any other type of visa? not as far as i'm aware. I must admit i'm in the very early stages of looking into moving to the US permanently. Just reading from other posts it looks almost impossible for somebody from England to immigrate unless through marriage or to be lucky enough through a job. I have worked in the US through a company i worked for (which i no longer work for) so i know what it's like to live there, not just a tourists view.
Thanks again.
Malcolm
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Assuming the kids have not aged out by then.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malcs66
Ian, do i qualify for any other type of visa?
Let me check my crystal ball... hmm... difficult to say, really. There are many different types of visas available. Do you qualify for any other type?

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Assuming the kids have not aged out by then.

Yep -- they possibly would.