Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Entering the USA after visa process - experiences? (IR-1 visa)

Entering the USA after visa process - experiences? (IR-1 visa)

Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

DarthMalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering the USA after visa process - experiences? (IR-1 visa)

Hi folks. On 1st May I'll be flying to Atlanta and entering the USA with my big envelope after going through the process of getting my IR-1 visa. Originally my wife was to fly back to the States with me; tragically, her grandfather died on Sunday night, and we did everything that we could to get her there for the funeral, which is tomorrow. After an intensely stressful few days, her flight should have hopefully just landed.

I'm so glad that we could get her there for her grandfather's funeral, but I'm sad I couldn't be there to support her during this process, and selfishly I'm sad that we haven't been able to say goodbye to our home from that last few years together, or that I haven't been able to enter the country with her by my side.

So, in all this chaos I'm stewing in my own anxiety; our relationship began in 2009, and we've been married and living together for nearly four years, but with entering the USA and being separated from my 'rock' during the final stages of this process, I feel overcome with fears that something might go wrong. Case in point: we stayed at my parents' last night--the night before her flight--and I had to turn around and go back to collect my passport, envelope and essential documents, as I was afraid something might happen to them, and we'd find ourselves stranded and separated from one another.

Which leads me to my question: can anyone who has entered the USA as a spouse, for the first time on their visa, talk about their 'Port of Entry' experience? I'm just looking to assuage my anxiety--there is legitimately no reason why there should be an issue, but I can't find any anecdotal information about that initial experience. Is anyone willing to share what it was like for them?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by DarthMalk; Apr 25th 2018 at 10:14 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the USA after visa process - experiences? (IR-1 visa)

I moved your thread to the marriage based forum, where others in your scenario have stories to share.

In general, what will happen is, the POE Officer looks at your envelope of documents, then sends you to "secondary" which is just another area nearby. They process your paperwork there and send you on your way.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 25th 2018 at 10:35 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hand in your passport and envelope, get bags, walk to secondary, get passport back.

Welcome to the USA.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that you are being having to go through this entry without the assistance of your spouse. Always nice to have someone who is clear thinking to be with you to hold your hand at times when you are nervous, fearful and anxious.

To set your mind at ease a bit, here is Leemas accounting from her entry on a immediate relative visa at the beginning of this month.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...etroit-911312/

My condolences to your wife on the death of her grandfather.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:38 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on the airport and how busy it is that day.

A friend went through Newark on a weekday in April with her IR-1 and it was all done at the desk, no trip to secondary, hardly anyone around, flight was half-empty and she handed her passport and envelope over, it was torn open and glanced through, passport stamped and sent on her way. Five minutes tops.

I arrived in Las Vegas 6 days before Christmas 2016 on a full flight at the same time as three other full flights and spent 2.5 hours in secondary.

No two experiences will be the same. But you will be fine. The worst part is over.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your sadness and stress. I entered through Atlanta in 2009. You have no reason at all to be fearful. They deal with new immigrants all the time and you will receive a warm Southern welcome. As others have said, it may take five minutes or two hours. It depends entirely on how many are waiting ahead of you. Mine took less than five minutes. All the best for your move and new life in the USA.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I entered through ATL back in 2013.

Show an officer your packet and they will direct you to a line only for new immigrants. No secondary for me in this case, one person was in front me being processed. I was through immigration with my packet taken and passport stamped and on my way to collect my bags within 20 minutes.

Apart from some small talk about the culture difference, it was no big deal. And of course I got the 'Welcome to America' that I wanted lol
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

DarthMalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses guys--it has gone some way to reassure me.

One thing that I was reading recommended bringing your I-130 petition and IR1 application with you, just in case. I don't have copies of those (I think my wife brought them with her, and has the digital copies on her laptop). Are these necessary? I've asked that she send them to me when she gets a chance so that I can print them off, just in case...
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Are these necessary?
No they aren't. Stop overthinking this, the job at the desk is not to second guess the decision to grant a visa, it's just to process you in.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 8:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarthMalk

One thing that I was reading recommended bringing your I-130 petition and IR1 application with you, just in case.
You said your wife was in the UK so did you do DCF. If you did then those are in the big envelope you will be carrying that you mustn’t open. Not that it matters as they are not needed at the POE.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarthMalk
Thanks for your responses guys--it has gone some way to reassure me.

One thing that I was reading recommended bringing your I-130 petition and IR1 application with you, just in case. I don't have copies of those (I think my wife brought them with her, and has the digital copies on her laptop). Are these necessary? I've asked that she send them to me when she gets a chance so that I can print them off, just in case...
THEY ARE IN THE ENVELOPE. You don't need to bring more copies of them. EVERYTHING you and she have submitted for the I-130 and the IR-1 is in that envelope and will be given over at the POE and taken from you and mailed to the USCIS for filing in the salt mines in Kentucky and will be unearthed only if you become a criminal and are scheduled for deportation or if you want to naturalize.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 26th 2018 at 9:05 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
THEY ARE IN THE ENVELOPE. You don't need to bring more copies of them. EVERYTHING you and she have submitted for the I-130 and the IR-1 is in that envelope and will be given over at the POE and taken from you and mailed to the USCIS for filing in the salt mines in Kentucky and will be unearthed only if you become a criminal and are scheduled for deportation or if you want to naturalize.
This.