EAD Taking Forever

Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD Taking Forever

So, I filed my EAD application back on the 18th December 2017. I'm currently waiting for them to process it. I have a receipt from them saying they received it on the 18th and then nothing from then...

I've called twice now and I've been promised that my case is being expedited and someone will email me within 30 days(that was on Friday) but I've heard **** all thus far.

I'm starting to worry because if this goes on for much longer my medical is going to expire and I can't afford to get it done again...

Can someone tell me WTF to do and why USCIS take so damn long to do these things?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:52 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Taking Forever

Originally Posted by lenswipe
So, I filed my EAD application back on the 18th December 2017. I'm currently waiting for them to process it. I have a receipt from them saying they received it on the 18th and then nothing from then...

I've called twice now and I've been promised that my case is being expedited and someone will email me within 30 days(that was on Friday) but I've heard **** all thus far.

I'm starting to worry because if this goes on for much longer my medical is going to expire and I can't afford to get it done again...

Can someone tell me WTF to do and why USCIS take so damn long to do these things?
Not much you can do, but wait. A lot of us are in the same boat.

I stand to be corrected, but I wouldn't worry about the medical. That is just for the I-485 and you don't need one for an EAD.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Not much you can do, but wait. A lot of us are in the same boat.

I stand to be corrected, but I wouldn't worry about the medical.

That is just for the I-485 and you don't need one for an EAD.
I know, but they cost a frigging fortune. It was like £600 or something last time. I'd really rather not pay for that all over again...It expires in April.

I've just gone and put another service request in(for like probably the third time now). I'm going crazy here just waiting to be able to work. It's been nearly a year since I moved to the USA!!!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:00 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

It was like £600 or something last time. I'd really rather not pay for that all over again...It expires in April.
Mine cost $480. I went to a local urgent care who was on the USCIS list. However, mine expires in early May and I am fully expecting to get an RFE for updated medical when they eventually process it. USCIS' average processing time for employment based AOS cases are saying 9.5 to 11.5 months on their new funked up site, but my I-140 is into its 11th month now, with a processing time of 7.5 to 9.5 months.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

11 months?! Jeez.

I know people make jokes about government departments...but shit.

Another side-effect of this delayed processing is that my wife and I (I came over on a Fiance visa) have yet to go on our honeymoon. That isn't going to happen until I have my GC, and a job to pay for the honeymoon(since we're both now poor a.f shelling out $$$$$$ to USCIS who seem to do nothing but stick their head up their ass). So, to sum up:

1. We can't get an apartment because we can't afford to until I get a job
2. I can't get a job because I have no SSN
3. I have no SSN because I have no EAD
4. I have no EAD because USCIS

1. We can't go on honeymoon because I have no job to pay for it
2. See above list

/rant
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you came over on a K1 visa, your medical won't expire. It has served its purpose and is no longer relevant. So no worries there.

Did you apply for AP along with AOS? If so, whenever you get that in hand, you can travel abroad for a honeymoon if that's what you had in mind.

You were eligible to get a SSN the first 76 days you were in the USA on the K1, I'm not sure why you didn't. Past the 76 days then yes, you need the EAD to get a SSN.

Yes, EAD processing has slowed down, unfortunately. This is why we advise folks to make sure they can support themselves 6 months or more after arriving in a K1.

You can try getting a senator or congressman involved in expediting the EAD. USCIS is just going to keep giving you the runaround. It's not even worth contacting them.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

2. I can't get a job because I have no SSN
No, you can't get a job because you don't have an EAD. A SSN is not required to get a job.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:25 pm

So, I filed my EAD application back on the 18th December 2017. I'm currently waiting for them to process it. I have a receipt from them saying they received it on the 18th and then nothing from then..
Have you received an NOA? Have you received a biometrics appointment?

It was taking 90 days to get EAD in hand until recently. You are just a little beyond that. Recent reports show its now taking closer to 4 months. So I thunk your wait time is fairly normal nowadays. What kind of turnaround time were you expecting? Not less than 90 days, for sure.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you came over on a K1 visa, your medical won't expire. It has served its purpose and is no longer relevant. So no worries there.
Don't I need it for the AOS?

Did you apply for AP along with AOS?
I don't know what that is

I did apply for travel documents, my lawyer had me just fill in "in case of medical emergency" for the travel reasons bit

You were eligible to get a SSN the first 76 days you were in the USA on the K1, I'm not sure why you didn't.
My immigration lawyer told me not to because she reckoned this would all be wrapped up within 3 months or so.

This is why we advise folks to make sure they can support themselves 6 months or more after arriving in a K1.
I did that, but I arrived in June 2017. I didn't back on it taking almost a year. My lawyer said a few months.

You can try getting a senator or congressman involved in expediting the EAD. USCIS is just going to keep giving you the runaround. It's not even worth contacting them.
I'm tempted TBH. I filled in a service request and apparently someone should be in touch by the 7th. Beyond that, I'm tempted to write to my congresman. Or maybe an ombudsman. Would one be better than the other?

In response to your other questions, I've attend my biometrics appointment back in February and heard nothing since then. This is about a week over 90 days now...

Last edited by lenswipe; Mar 26th 2018 at 10:47 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:00 pm

You don't need the medical for AOS if you came over on a K1, no.

OMG, your lawyer thought the whole AOS would only take 3 months? Ugh.

When you said you filed in Dec 2017, I thought you meant for the whole AOS. Why didn't you file everything immediately after getting married within the 90-day period?

AP is the travel document. It can be used for any purpose, not just family emergencies.

So you DID hear something back since filing. You did the biometrics.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

You don't need the medical for AOS if you came over on a K1, no.

OMG, your lawyer thought the whole AOS would only take 3 months? Ugh.

When you said you filed in Dec 2017, I thought you meant for the whole AOS. Why didn't you file everything immediately after getting married within the 90-day period?

AP is the travel document. It can be used for any purpose, not just family emergencies.

So you DID hear something back since filing. You did the biometrics.

Rene
I filed everything back in December, AOS, EAD, everything. I started in November but they rejected it like 4 or 5 times and sent it back to me because it had mistakes in. It wasn't until i sat down after mailing it in for the fourth ****ing time i discovered it was riddled with mistakes and schoolboy errors. I sat and re-prepared my application and this time it was accepted on the 18th December.

I got married in July 2017. This has been such a ****ing headache it's not even funny.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I filed everything back in December, AOS, EAD, everything. I started in November but they rejected it like 4 or 5 times and sent it back to me because it had mistakes in. It wasn't until i sat down after mailing it in for the fourth ****ing time i discovered it was riddled with mistakes and schoolboy errors. I sat and re-prepared my application and this time it was accepted on the 18th December.

I got married in July 2017. This has been such a ****ing headache it's not even funny.
So much for having an immigration attorney help you.

Sorry that this is happening, particularly about the bad advice of your attorney and the mistakes she allowed on your application causing you such problem. You got married in June 2017 and you should have filed for AOS by end July.

BTW it is not your congressman. You don't have the right to vote nor are you a legal permanent resident. It is your wife's congressman/woman who you need to contact.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:19 pm

I'm sorry this has been such a stressful journey. It sounds like you weren't given good info from the start. Like the SSN info, for example. Also didn't help that you filed AOS so late and had mistakes. Did your lawyer not review the applications?

I hope you are on a good path now, even if frustratingly slow. You've come to the right place for quality help now!

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
So much for having an immigration attorney help you.

Sorry that this is happening, particularly about the bad advice of your attorney and the mistakes she allowed on your application causing you such problem. You got married in June 2017 and you should have filed for AOS by end July.
I'm sorry this has been such a stressful journey. It sounds like you weren't given good info from the start. Like the SSN info, for example. Also didn't help that you filed AOS so late and had mistakes. Did your lawyer not review the applications?

I hope you are on a good path now, even if frustratingly slow. You've come to the right place for quality help now!

Rene

Well, in fairness our lawyer was really helpful with the first couple of phases of immigration etc. but things went south for the third phase because she ended up moving back to Brazil (where she's from) to work on some cases there. She said I could call her office and talk to her assistant or whatever who was handling her cases while she was out of the country and he would be happy to assist. When I called the number she gave me and explained, the receptionist asked me if I had an appointment. I said I didn't but I was told to call and I got transferred to a (very rude) guy who curtly explained to me "Call next time, got it" or something along those lines and proceeded to go into appointment and consultation fees etc. I rang off and emailed her back and told her what had happened and apparently he had gotten me mixed up with another client or something. Either way, she said she had explained and I could still go and see him and explained (politely) that after the conversation I'd just had with him, I wouldn't be doing that.

Long story short, I'm consulting with my immigration lawyer via email across time zones for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, my work is on hold, our honeymoon is on hold, getting an apartment is on hold and our entire life is on hold.

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW it is not your congressman. You don't have the right to vote nor are you a legal permanent resident. It is your wife's congressman/woman who you need to contact.
Yeah, I might write to them in addition to the service request.

---

All this has given me a headache and is stressing both of us out. :/

Thanks for the kind words and advice though - that is helpful
Old Mar 27th 2018, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Fwiw - I filed for joint AOS and AP on December 15th, haven't yet heard anything other than Biometrics. Will let you know when it arrives as we're very close in timeline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.