Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD renew query - getting concerned

EAD renew query - getting concerned

Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

TriGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy EAD renew query - getting concerned

I got married Oct 2014 - Received my EAD + Advance Parole card which expires 22March 2016!
I haven't renewed this yet as quite simply it completely escaped my mind!

Do I renew the EAD asap... if so do I pay a renew fee?
I work for 2 companies in the USA - one local company and another presenting / coaching where I am travelling for 3-4 days to Canada in August but also working in NY in April. So getting worried I might not be legal to work?

We havent completed the I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence as yet. Is it best to get this going asap?

In panic mode! Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD renew query - getting concerned

Wait. ...if you got married that long ago, and you're coming up on removing conditions, doesn't that mean you have a green card?

If you have a green card, you no longer need the EAD and AP.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As for when to file the I-751, it's during the 90-day window prior to your 2-year card expiration. Or rather, prior to your 2nd anniversary as a US PR (not marriage anniversary!)

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

I dont physically have a green card in hand no. Just the EAD / advance parol card, SSN.
What would I receive in the mail to confirm green card?
Should I call USCIS call centre and speak to someone?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TriGuy
I dont physically have a green card in hand no. Just the EAD / advance parol card, SSN.
What would I receive in the mail to confirm green card?
Should I call USCIS call centre and speak to someone?
According to your previous posts, you entered on a K1 in 2014 and filed for AOS pretty soon after and almost 2 yrs later you don't have a greencard????
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

What would I confirm in post that gave me a green card?
Sorry for the clear misunderstanding on my part!
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What would I confirm in post that gave me a green card?
Sorry for the clear misunderstanding on my part!
In brief:
- you enter on k1 visa
- you marry
- you file for AOS
- biometrics are taken, interviews are possible
- you receive a permanent resident card (greencard).

Probably looks something like this:
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nope not received my GC as of yet.Thats why I'm getting concerned as I have to travel out of country in due course and my EAD runs out end of March.
Do I have to complete the I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence first?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope not received my GC as of yet.Thats why I'm getting concerned as I have to travel out of country in due course and my EAD runs out end of March.
Do I have to complete the I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence first?
No, removal of conditions is separate from AOS.

Did you receive any notification of action letters during AOS? Obviously they processed something because you got your EAD. Perhaps you can log in to the USCIS case status thing and see if it says anything for any of the receipt numbers you have.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 6:59 pm

You should have received the green card in the mail a long time ago. Did you have an AOS interview? Did they say anything about being approved at the interview, or needing to obtain further approvals, or further security checks? Anything?

If you were approved, you are now a US PR and the EAD and AP ate no longer valid anyway.

Make an Infopass appointment to go in person to your local USCIS office to inquire, ASAP.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You should have received the green card in the mail a long time ago. Did you have an AOS interview? Did they say anything about being approved at the interview, or needing to obtain further approvals, or further security checks? Anything?

If you were approved, you are now a US PR and the EAD and AP ate no longer valid anyway.

Make an Infopass appointment to go in person to your local USCIS office to inquire, ASAP.

Rene
One wonders what forms the OP actually filed. All of the AOS ones or just for the EAD/AP?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not received my GC as of yet.
Forgive me, but is English your first language? I ask, because filing to adjust your status is a pretty big step - and if you don't file the correct paperwork, you won't ever get your green card. You need to make an InfoPass appointment (hint = Google is your friend), and go and talk to someone about this.

Thats why I'm getting concerned as I have to travel out of country in due course and my EAD runs out end of March.
If your EAD is up for renewal - then yes, you must renew and pay the fee. Do it now... today - because it'll take between 60-90 days to get the card so there might be a period of time when you are not authorized to work. This is what happens when you don't pay attention to details. If your EAD expires and you don't have the new card yet, you must stop working on March 22.

You can't remove conditions on a status that you don't yet have. You need to talk to someone (hint = don't call USCIS... make an InfoPass appointment and speak to someone in person) about this. You did keep a copy of all the paperwork you filed, right?

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
One wonders what forms the OP actually filed. All of the AOS ones or just for the EAD/AP?
You can't receive AP unless you've filed for AOS, so my guess is that he did file all the correct AOS paperwork, but for some reason never received the green card in the mail.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2016, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
... my guess is that he did file all the correct AOS paperwork, but for some reason never received the green card in the mail.
My own adjustment took close to 3 years... but I'll be the first to admit that was highly unusual.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2016, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I have filed all the correct paperwork for AOS.
And yes English is my first language. Whatever gave the idea it wasn't!
I have not had an interview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.