DS-260 help

Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:29 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default DS-260 help

Sorry guys, last question on the DS-260 I promise!

The one part I'm having problems with is the the details regarding my previous employment (last ten years) and education information. Now, I know all the recent details but I certainly can't remember the start date of when I joined Tesco 9 years ago while at school! I also can't remember what my first day in secondary school was back in 1998!

The date options are in drop down box and day, month and year all have to be selected. Would it be ok to be approximate with this information or is it worth me going away and finding this information from the HR departments of my previous employers (which would be very long!)

Cheers guys!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:37 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-260 help

It's OK to be approximate (right month and year). My gut feeling is that they really only want to make sure you won't violate some sort of employment or licensing quota.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine to approximate. Just fill it out to the best of your knowledge.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:47 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Speedwell
It's OK to be approximate (right month and year). My gut feeling is that they really only want to make sure you won't violate some sort of employment or licensing quota.
Ah ok, that's interesting. So if you put down an intended occupation that they already have a full quota of they can deny you?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethB789
Ah ok, that's interesting. So if you put down an intended occupation that they already have a full quota of they can deny you?
Does part of that form ask for your intended occupation in the USA?

There's no quota like that. Once you arrive in the USA, you're free to do any work you want.

No, this does not sound like something that will get your visa denied. There's no requirement that you have an intended occupation at all.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:00 pm
2+2=5

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Does part of that form ask for your intended occupation in the USA?

There's no quota like that. Once you arrive in the USA, you're free to do any work you want.

No, this does not sound like something that will get your visa denied. There's no requirement that you have an intended occupation at all.

Rene
Thanks Rene

Yes, it does ask what your intended occupation in the states is.

I'm going to put local government as that's what I have made a career of here in the UK. I'm right in thinking it's ok for permanent residents to work in local government, right? I know there are some Government jobs where you have to be a citizen.

I'm relieved to hear that you can be approximate. I didn't fancy making the phone call to Tesco!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by GarethB789
Thanks Rene

Yes, it does ask what your intended occupation in the states is.

I'm going to put local government as that's what I have made a career of here in the UK. I'm right in thinking it's ok for permanent residents to work in local government, right? I know there are some Government jobs where you have to be a citizen.
Interesting. You can put whatever you want in there, it doesn't matter. No one will hold you to that after you arrive in the USA. And yes, US PRs can do some government jobs.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:07 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually thinking of something I read about nurses, how working as a nurse for, say, 20 years in the Philippines did not necessarily qualify you to work as a nurse in the US without licensing and certification, and I heard in passing that there was some attempt to monitor compliance by data-gathering. Or something. Anyway it's really not a huge deal.