Reload this Page >

DS-230 Part II Question

DS-230 Part II Question

Old Mar 17th 2003, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-230 Part II Question

DS-230 Part II Question 33a and 33b
These are the questions asking about whether the immigrant wants to get a SSN and card.
I haven't found any information yet on this as to what, if any complications arise from checking yes here. It seems logical to check yes to wanting the SSN and card, but I am not about to ask for something we can ask for later if it will be slowing anything down.
Anyone know the ramifications involved here?
Old Mar 17th 2003, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS-230 Part II Question

Originally posted by JeffB
These are the questions asking about whether the immigrant wants to get a SSN and card.
I haven't found any information yet on this as to what, if any complications arise from checking yes here. It seems logical to check yes to wanting the SSN and card, but I am not about to ask for something we can ask for later if it will be slowing anything down.
Hi:

It is says what it says. Nothing more, nothing less.

It is actually an attempt at efficiency -- if you already have an SSN for some reason, you don't need another one and should not get another one.

Lets say you have a number, but the card was a "non-working" card or with the legend to look at an INS document -- then you want another card.

It used to be that they DOS had you fill out the normal application for an SSN and they would get lost.

Don't sweat this one.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 12:35 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeffB
If your significant other hasn't got a SSN then tick yes, it speeds up the process of getting a SSN as they are issued a SSN without you having to go in the the SS offices.

Patrick
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question. Based on the immigration process you went through (and the same that we are now in), do you think it would be quicker to apply for a SSN when actually arriving in the US or by ticking this box?
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:16 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by datcha
Just a quick question. Based on the immigration process you went through (and the same that we are now in), do you think it would be quicker to apply for a SSN when actually arriving in the US or by ticking this box?
You can't apply for a SSN until the INS (or whatever the hell they are called now) has put you on the computer, this can be anywhere from a few days to a couple of months. If you tick the box, when your put on the computer the wheels are automatically put into motion to give you a ssn and you need never go to the SSA.

Personally I waited 11 weeks before I gave up and went down to the SSA - I had a SSN waiting for me on the computer they just had not sent it out to me. I got my SSN there and then the push meant I got my SS card about a week later.

Whos to say if I didn't tick the box and just went down to the SSA every day I would of got it sooner! Your call, but ticking the box worked for me

Patrick

Good luck on the 25th
Old Mar 17th 2003, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that. Gonna tick it anyway as I can envisage a "why don't you want a SS card?" type question from the interviewer next week... I wasn't planning on working straight-away after getting off the plane so I'll give 'em a few weeks and see what happens.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 4:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
If your significant other hasn't got a SSN then tick yes, it speeds up the process of getting a SSN as they are issued a SSN without you having to go in the the SS offices.

Patrick
Hey P, are you saying that checking that box was in effect your SS application? We were told at the Consulate last summer that that question was redundant now; ie, no action would be taken by our 'ticking'/checking that box.

We completed an application in our local SS office 10 days after entry and received the card 4 weeks after that.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 7:24 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by meauxna
Hey P, are you saying that checking that box was in effect your SS application?
Thats what they told me, and by the actions at the SSA I beleive it to be so. The problem is that it is so new (or was when I came in at Christmas) it wasn't running as smoothly as it should of been. Hopefully they have ironed out the kinks now.

This is really a quite recent thing, maybe last summer nothing was in place to do it. In effect now if you don't have a SSN as soon as you enter at your POE your SSN should start to be issued to you and you need never go to a SSA.

Like everything it will take the SSA time to get used to it, and while people are told on here to go to the SSA they will continue to go and apply. When I went to the SSA I filled out the form and handed it over and she said I was already on the computer with a number so she ripped up the form in front of me. I didn't care, I had a SSN.

Patrick