DS-156

Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:28 pm
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of
Default DS-156

I have been working through all the forms now in prep for the Packet 3 arriving.

I am just not sure what I should have answered for this one.....

The DS-156 asks the following:
36. Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

Do I click on Yes and put my Fiance's name as he applied for one during this process??

Thanks in advance...

(Oh and I have looked up google and the sample completed forms and none seem to answer my question for now. )
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-156

C,

I did. Other's say to check 'No', on the basis that the I-129f petition leads to a non-immigrant visa, not an immigrant visa. Either way, the consular officer knows perfectly well that your fiance filed a petition, because it's right there in the case file that the officer is looking at.

What would be significant is if someone other than your current fiance had previously filed a petition for you.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Chrissie85

Do I click on Yes and put my Fiance's name as he applied for one during this process??
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:53 pm
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
C,

I did. Other's say to check 'No', on the basis that the I-129f petition leads to a non-immigrant visa, not an immigrant visa. Either way, the consular officer knows perfectly well that your fiance filed a petition, because it's right there in the case file that the officer is looking at.

What would be significant is if someone other than your current fiance had previously filed a petition for you.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff :0)

I appreciate the advice (",)
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissie85
I have been working through all the forms now in prep for the Packet 3 arriving.

I am just not sure what I should have answered for this one.....

Thanks in advance...

(Oh and I have looked up google and the sample completed forms and none seem to answer my question for now. )
Comment: the case law and text-books describe the K-1 as a "hybrid." It is technically a non-immigrant visa. However, since it looks to obtaining lawful permanent residence in the United States, it is processed "as if" it is an immigrant visa.

The confusion arises from the fact that the Immigration & Nationality Act does not define "immigrant" in the same way as common usage. Section 101(a)(15) defines "immigrant" as any alien except those who fit in specified exemptions list (A) to (V). [When I first learned immigration law, it was (A) to (L)]. So, an Englishman with a drug trafficking conviction is an "immigrant," a lawful one at that, but he can never come to the US to live permanently.

This confusion is almost universal -- section 214(b) is often described as the need to show no intention of obtaining permanent residence. This is not so. Now, the visitor classification at 101(a)(15)(B) contains as part of its definition an intent not to abandon foreign residence. In contrast, the very definitions at 101(a)(15)(K) contemplate taking up permanent residence.