Reload this Page >

Desperately looking for advice

Desperately looking for advice

Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:23 am
Just Joined

greenkomodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperately looking for advice

Hey everyone

I am from England and my Girlfriend lives in Virginia. We met in Europe and have been together for couple years.

I am going to USA soon to try get a company to sponsor me to get h1-b but I'm feeling like this is a long long shot. I have a degree in IT and 2 years work experience.
I couldn't find any current threads regarding marriage. How long would it take to get the green card from day of posting papers? She lives in Virginia.

I just want to be with her so bad and I'm not sure what route to go down.

Thanks for any help.

Ed
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:34 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately looking for advice

Originally Posted by greenkomodo
Hey everyone

I am from England and my Girlfriend lives in Virginia. We met in Europe and have been together for couple years.

I am going to USA soon to try get a company to sponsor me to get h1-b but I'm feeling like this is a long long shot. I have a degree in IT and 2 years work experience.
I couldn't find any current threads regarding marriage. How long would it take to get the green card from day of posting papers? She lives in Virginia.

Thanks for any help.

Ed
Hi and welcome to BE. I see this is your second thread on the subject, and you found the Marriage based forum. I suggest this is your best option.
As an IT guy you should be able to search around here for the info you need. (search for K1 or Spouse visa)

ETA OK maybe the search function is not working, again.
Here is a thread to get you started. Also, read the wikis at the top of the page.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813041

Last edited by RICH; Feb 5th 2014 at 1:43 am. Reason: search function ooo again?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:55 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

RICH has already given you the right thread for the fiancée option, but essentially you have 2 options.

1) K1, you are the fiancée of a USC. This would take 8 months to obtain, you enter the US and get married, then adjust status (to Permenant Resident). You'd be looking at 3 months after AoS before you have the Enployment Authorisation Document and can prove to employers you are allowed to work.

2) CR1. You get married, then file for the petition/visa. This will take 10 months or so AFTER you get married, but the day you arrive with the visa you are immediately a Permenant Resident (Green Card) and can seek employment.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone

Thanks for any help.

Ed
Hi and Welcome to BE.

Here is our Wiki Guide which spells out the two marriage-based ways to the USA. Have a read through everything and then come on back with any questions:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I hear wedding bells!

It's an H-1B, not what you wrote. It will be a long shot because 2 years' experience is pretty much nothing even with a degree. Your competition for a job will be those many thousands of people with an IT degree, more experience than you, who are already living in the US, who can start work tomorrow if asked, and who don't need sponsoring at considerable cost to the company. So, to repeat - I hear wedding bells!

A word of caution - when you're desperate, you tend to make poor decisions. So take a step back and try to be objective about the whole thing.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

greenkomodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys