DCF in Vienna, Austria

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 12:15 am
Mike Thompson

Hello everyone

After months of research and a lot of lurking in this newsgroup to gather information
(thanks to all the knowledgeable people) I managed to figure out most of what needs to be
done to petition for my wife to come to the US. But I still have a few questions if
anyone can help.

On Feb. 10 we were married in Vienna and on Feb. 12 we were at the US consulate. I
expected things to be much more complicated from that point on, but they weren't. We were
helped first at the INS window, even though there seemed to be about 25 people in front of
us and handing over the I-130 and G-325As took all of 2 minutes (and $110 of course!). We
were told to go across the room to the immigrant visa window. We already had most of the
paperwork done, so the lady (a rather stern Austrian woman who seemed to be struggling to
remain polite) scheduled my wife for a doctors appointment on the 14th.

The doctors appoint was so far the most complicated. Going to one office, then across town
to another, then back to the original. But all the tests and paperwork were completed and
we returned to the consulate on Feb 16th. Again, the same woman looked over all the
paperwork (and seemed very annoyed I put paperclips on my tax returns, snapping at me that
I should "leave everything loose" - but if that was the biggest problem I'm happy). She
then scheduled my wife's interview for March 23rd.

Now come the questions... I know this has been asked a hundred different times, but what
can she expect at the interview? I'm back in the US and won't be there. I've seen a lot of
posts about interviews and quite a few of them mention people bringing pictures as
evidence of our relationship. Should she do that? We have very recent wedding photos, but
to me it seems the marriage certificate confirms that better than anything. We have some
other photos together before we were married, should she bring anything like that? Has
anyone else here done this in Vienna that can tell me how the interview was?

Also, this is more out of curiosity... a lot of people are talking about fingerprints...
she never had fingerprints taken. Is that normal, or are the fingerprints done only for
AOS? Unless it happens on interview day I don't see it happening since they told her she'd
get her visa the same day as the interview.

And one more... once she receives the visa, she doesn't want to move until the end of July
(so she can finish university). But she was told the visa is good for four months and that
would be too close. So she would fly here, coming in through JFK or Newark, and go through
the immigration process. If I'm correct, it involves handing over everything to the
immigration officer and after they review it, the I-551 stamp gets stamped in her
passport, am I right about that? Then she would fly back after a week or so here and
remain in Austria until July when she would come for good. The INS website said she can
travel outside the US for up to a year without needing return travel documents, but will
this really be ok? I don't want to be missing anything.

All in all this is going so much better than I thought it would. I've read about people
waiting seemingly forever for all this to happen. Even on the US Embassy website in
Austria it say it takes about 3 months. It looks like it will take only 5 or 6 weeks. I
guess you could say it's going almost too well, since we expected it to take longer and we
wouldn't have to worry about her staying until July. But believe me, I'm not complaining!!

Thank you very much in advance for any help or further advice anyone is will to give!

Mike

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 3:24 am
Alvena Ferreira

Mike Thompson wrote:
> Now come the questions... I know this has been asked a hundred different times, but what
> can she expect at the interview? I'm back in the US and

while I don't think they will ask much, I'd bring proof of the relationship and pictures
just in case...no one, repeat NO ONE goes to the INS or a consulate without being armed
properly with proof. He who fails to prepare, prepares to fail, as regards immigration.
>
> good for four months and that would be too close. So she would fly here, coming in
> through JFK or Newark, and go through the immigration process. If I'm correct, it
> involves handing over everything to the immigration officer and after they review it,
> the I-551 stamp gets stamped in her passport, am I right about that? Then she would fly
> back after a week or so here and remain in Austria until July when she would come for
> good. The INS website said she can travel outside the US for up to a year without
> needing return travel documents, but will this really be ok? I don't want to be missing
> anything.
>
Yes, this will work...no problem...the I-551 green card stamp conveys EVERY priviledge of
a real green card.

alvena

Old Feb 26th 2001, 3:31 am
Betastar

>Hello everyone

> (a rather stern Austrian woman who seemed to be struggling to remain polite)

She was POLITE to you? How did you manage that???

She's got to be one of the most sour people I've met in Austria. Her and my husband's boss
- both female sour-pusses!

>Again, the same woman looked over all the paperwork (and seemed very annoyed I put
>paperclips on my tax returns, snapping at me that I should "leave everything loose" - but
>if that was the biggest problem I'm happy). She then scheduled my wife's interview for
>March 23rd.

Ah - that sounds more like her! (She was upset we had put things in protective plastic
sleeves...)

>Now come the questions... I know this has been asked a hundred different times, but what
>can she expect at the interview?

When we had our interview in Vienna it was for a fiance visa, and I was with Reinhard.
It was really more of a chat than anything else (and we had some reasons to worry). It
was all very pleasant and polite, but then I was there with him, with a diamond on my
finger and a smile on my face and we had lots of photos and such showing our
relationship together.

There was another couple there for a spousal visa - he was American and she was British
and they had been living in Austria for a couple of years. They were put through a very
tough interrogation, but apparently the American husband hadn't files tax returns for a
couple of years when he had been living in the UK with his wife. They were really quite
upset about this. I believe they still got the visa, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

For proof of relationship they had their two sons, ages 11 and 8.

I would say that as long as the paperwork is in order, the interview will probably be
quite easy and quick.

>I'm back in the US and won't be there. I've seen a lot of posts about interviews and
>quite a few of them mention people bringing pictures as evidence of our relationship.
>Should she do that? We have very recent wedding photos, but to me it seems the marriage
>certificate confirms that better than anything. We have some other photos together before
>we were married, should she bring anything like that?

Yes - do that. Photos don't have to be just of the wedding - they could just be the two of
you together at Schönbrunn or the Karlskirche or something. I had spent the previous
Christmas with Reinhard and his family, and included a picture of me with his Mom in front
of the Christmas tree, and a picture of him playing the harp in front of the same tree,
with his brother watching.

>Has anyone else here done this in Vienna that can tell me how the interview was?

There is someone who did this in Vienna - "Lederhosen Bob" - but I don't know if he's
still around. Things went very smoothly for them.

>And one more... once she receives the visa, she doesn't want to move until the end of
>July (so she can finish university). But she was told the visa is good for four months
>and that would be too close. So she would fly here, coming in through JFK or Newark, and
>go through the immigration process. If I'm correct, it involves handing over everything
>to the immigration officer and after they review it, the I-551 stamp gets stamped in her
>passport, am I right about that? Then she would fly back after a week or so here and
>remain in Austria until July when she would come for good. The INS website said she can
>travel outside the US for up to a year without needing return travel documents, but will
>this really be ok? I don't want to be missing anything.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Once she has the I-551 stamp in her passport it is
just like having a green-card (except it doesn't look as cool)

If they question why she came in and left again, she can just tell them she had to finish
up her University work. Again, no problem.

>All in all this is going so much better than I thought it would. I've read about people
>waiting seemingly forever for all this to happen. Even on the US Embassy website in
>Austria it say it takes about 3 months. It looks like it will take only 5 or 6 weeks. I
>guess you could say it's going almost too well, since we expected it to take longer and
>we wouldn't have to worry about her staying until July. But believe me, I'm not
>complaining!!

I have found Vienna to be a very good and efficient Consulate. The only bad thing about
the place is the mean Austrian woman behind that first counter.

(I theorize she's never been married and doesn't like seeing all these couples in
love... )

Glueck!

Betastar

Old Feb 26th 2001, 11:17 pm
Mike Thompson

That's pretty much what I figured... since everything has gone pretty smooth I didn't
expect there to be a lot of questions, but I still can't help being nervous about it until
she actually walks through the arrivals hall at JFK (although I plan to make the trip with
her! I guess if that one guy didn't even have tax returns and they still got the visa,
then I don't have too much to be concerned about. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Oh we have lots of photos... plenty in and around NY and Vienna. I'll have her bring the
ones of us at my family's Thanksgiving dinner.

So she'll come and get her stamp and then leave again. I know it will be difficult for her
to leave when she's legally entitled to stay for good. But it's all for the best. It'll
just be a couple more worry-free months after that.

Thanks for the info!!

Mike

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:15:00 GMT, "Mike Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> When we had our interview in Vienna it was for a fiance visa, and I was with Reinhard.
> It was really more of a chat than anything else (and we had some reasons to worry). It
> was all very pleasant and polite, but then I was there with him, with a diamond on my
> finger and a smile on my face and we had lots of photos and such showing our
> relationship together.
>
> There was another couple there for a spousal visa - he was American and she was British
> and they had been living in Austria for a couple of years. They were put through a very
> tough interrogation, but apparently the American husband hadn't files tax returns for a
> couple of years when he had been living in the UK with his wife. They were really quite
> upset about this. I believe they still got the visa, but it wasn't a pleasant
> experience.
>

>
> Yes - do that. Photos don't have to be just of the wedding - they could just be the two
> of you together at Schönbrunn or the Karlskirche or something. I had spent the previous
> Christmas with Reinhard and his family, and included a picture of me with his Mom in
> front of the Christmas tree, and a picture of him playing the harp in front of the same
> tree, with his brother watching.
>
>

>
> That sounds like a good plan to me. Once she has the I-551 stamp in her passport it is
> just like having a green-card (except it doesn't look as cool)
>
> If they question why she came in and left again, she can just tell them she had to
> finish up her University work. Again, no problem.
>
> >All in all this is going so much better than I thought it would. I've
read
> >about people waiting seemingly forever for all this to happen. Even on
the
> >US Embassy website in Austria it say it takes about 3 months. It looks
> >it will take only 5 or 6 weeks. I guess you could say it's going almost
too
> >well, since we expected it to take longer and we wouldn't have to worry about her
> >staying until July. But believe me, I'm not complaining!!
>
> I have found Vienna to be a very good and efficient Consulate. The only bad thing about
> the place is the mean Austrian woman behind that first counter.
>
> (I theorize she's never been married and doesn't like seeing all these couples in
> love... )
>
> Glueck!
>
> Betastar

Old Feb 28th 2001, 1:00 am
Arina

Hi!

Well! I got my K-1 visa in Vienna, too!

And here are some helpfull hints and thoughts!!

1) I would not bet on it that you get the I-551 stamp in your passport! What if not?
Then your girl can't go back to finish her study, which is very bad, because that
might affect her job-hunting over here badly. If you are 100% sure, well go ahead and
do it that way... But you can also call (get the toll-free number when you first call
there, they give it out to ppl who applied for a K-1) the Vienna's Consulate or walk
there in person (half an hour before they close is the best time! ^__-) and EXPLAIN
them very friendly your situation (I know that woman working there is a Jerk...) and
ask for a reschedule. They most likely will do it, but you have to get a notarized
letter from a notary stating that your american friend is still willing you to marry
you within the 90 days after you entered the country! This will also save you some
money on all the flights, and belive me, flying back and forth is really bad when you
actually should study!

2) If you get a letter stating the day and time for your appointment for the docotor, then
DON'T WAIT till then! Find the doctor's number in a public phone book. Call there and
tell her when your appointment at the consulat is, they can tell you when you should go
there (do step 1 before you do step
3). Also, when you go to the doctor, go EARLY. he or she will have a lot of other patients
for A LOT OF OTHER CONSULATS. (Don't be surprised if others there don't speak any german
or english!)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
polite)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
annoyed
    >
    >
then
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
of
    >
    >
seems
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
until
    >
is
    >
    >
If
    >
officer
    >
am I
    >
remain
    >
she
    >
    >
anything.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
read
    >
the
    >
    >
too
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 28th 2001, 2:26 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >

When? =)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

She won't have a K1, she'll be coming in on a spousal visa - and if they don't give her
the stamp at the airport (they are SUPPOSED to in this case) then they can go to their
local INS office to get it.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Again, they're doing DCF, or direct consular filing, meaning that they are already married
and not getting a K1.

However, I do agree that Vienna (no matter the woman's attitude) is pretty good at trying
to be accomodating. Reinhard actually got his interview a little early (about a week or
two) because we had called and requested the interview be while I was still in Austria.
The interview was something like 5 days before I left - I had been there all summer
waiting for it

>
    >
    >

Ooooh - I didn't know that! I think everyone there the day we went was there for the US
Consulate. The Dr. Reinhard saw was actually an older man. Betastar