Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF - Knightsbridge Doctors - Medical

DCF - Knightsbridge Doctors - Medical

Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Book Worm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF - Knightsbridge Doctors - Medical

Some information for those BE members who have posted with worries about the medical exam, particularly issues to do with depression.

The staff are pleasant enough and so long as you have all your paperwork prepared, it is a straightforward experience.

My son and I attended the medical this afternoon. It took about 2 hours in total:-

1. Reported to front desk. They took the paperwork I'd prepared then asked me to complete another questionnaire. The questions are much the same as the online form they ask you to print off and present on arrival.

2. After a bit of a wait, I had a chest x-ray done.

3. On to the vaccination nurse. Presented our vaccination records (GPs should print these off for free). My son had a couple of injections, and so did I.

Interestingly, MMR is currently being waived (even though it is normally requisite) because there is a shortage of vaccine supply in England right now apparently. However, attendees over the age of 6 months will definitely require a flu jab.

4. Waited some more, then on to see the doctor. The exam was embarrassing at times but if you're a woman who's given birth, you can cope with anything. If you're a man, well, I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Maybe lay back and think of America? Seriously, it's not so bad.

5. Some blood was taken. They check it for syphilis. Ended up having a funny conversation with the doctor about the connection between syphilis, Chairman Mao and China's cultural revolution.

6. Depression and the questionnaire - I had a spell of minor depression a few years ago which I felt I had to mention even though it didn't remotely fall under the category of "major mental disorder and depression". However, I thought that since I had received medication for it, it ought to be mentioned.

From the questions asked by the doctor, it seems that they want to know about those people who may have had suicidal thoughts or self-harmed. I told him that nothing of that severity applied to me and so he asked for a letter from my GP to confirm this. I need to obtain this letter and get it faxed to Knightsbridge Doctors who will then forward everything to the embassy.

7. Finally, I was told that if I hear nothing in the next 2 days, "no news is good news" meaning that the x-ray and blood test results are fine and clear.

I hope that this post is of help to anyone who may be anxious about the medical - I know I was. Hopefully, I will be this philosophical on the day of the interview - whenever that is!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 8:53 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF - Knightsbridge Doctors - Medical

Wow, things sure have changed.

I had my medical in 1996 at the doctor's office around the corner from the US embassy (is it the same one?)

My morning visit consisted of -

1. taking blood
2. chest xray
3. "Medical"
Doctor - "Breathe in, breathe out. Are you healthy?"
Me - "Yes"
Doctor - "NEXT!"
4. Go to embassy in the afternoon for blood results and visa issuance.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I had my medical in 1996 at the doctor's office around the corner from the US embassy (is it the same one?)
No.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

1. taking blood
2. chest xray
3. "Medical"
Me - "Yes"
Doctor - "NEXT!"
Hi ScousePete,

I can't believe it was so easy for you back then!! I bet it was cheaper too. I paid £££ for the basic exam plus the vaccinations. Will need to pay my GP for the letter too plus there was the train fare and eating out to keep my son happy (well, me too).

The surgery is on Bentink Street, 5 mins walk from Bond Street. Can't remember if this is near the embassy though.

"Are you healthy?" Ha! You made me laugh.

Now I am trying to erase images of Chairman Mao from my mind by watching back to back episodes of 'The Bridge'. :-)
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

1. taking blood
2. chest xray
3. "Medical"
Me - "Yes"
Doctor - "NEXT!"
It hasn't changed that much. The medical is still straight forward, or at least it was for me. The exam was over in 5 minutes and most of it seemed pointless stuff just to justify the price of the medical to me.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:27 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Book Worm
I bet it was cheaper too. I paid £££ for the basic exam plus the vaccinations.
I can't remember what it cost back then, but I do remember that it wasn't cheap. Luckily I was living in London at the time, so didn't have to make a big trek to get there.

I was mightily impressed that they had the results of the blood test the same afternoon at the embassy.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was mightily impressed that they had the results of the blood test the same afternoon at the embassy.
They definitely don't do that anymore.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those days! My husband's group (for various visas--spousal, fiance, study, and work) were divided into two smaller groups. One had the visa interview first and one had the medical then after lunch they switched. By 4:00pm they all had their visas in their passports and were down at a nearby pub.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

1. taking blood
2. chest xray
3. "Medical"
Me - "Yes"
Doctor - "NEXT!"
2004 I went to the one with the famed toilet, in an arch under the street. Can't remember the address but I think it was off Seymour Street, not exactly round the corner from the Embassy, but a walk. Is that the one you mean? Or maybe they change doctors every couple of years.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
I remember those days! My husband's group (for various visas--spousal, fiance, study, and work) were divided into two smaller groups. One had the visa interview first and one had the medical then after lunch they switched. By 4:00pm they all had their visas in their passports and were down at a nearby pub.
That sounds like the ideal! Especially the pub bit.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:30 pm
UK & US Citizen

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
Yes! That's exactly how it was! Those were the days!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Book Worm
6. Depression and the questionnaire - I had a spell of minor depression a few years ago which I felt I had to mention even though it didn't remotely fall under the category of "major mental disorder and depression". However, I thought that since I had received medication for it, it ought to be mentioned.

From the questions asked by the doctor, it seems that they want to know about those people who may have had suicidal thoughts or self-harmed. I told him that nothing of that severity applied to me and so he asked for a letter from my GP to confirm this. I need to obtain this letter and get it faxed to Knightsbridge Doctors who will then forward everything to the embassy.
I wouldn't have bothered disclosing that.

Everyone is 'depressed' these days, Selenz Gomez has just come out of rehab apparently suffering from anxiety and depression! Unless you have a history of self harm, or suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't have said anything. Everyone gets down about things at times, it's just part of life. You don't need to declare that you're a normal functioning human being.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I wouldn't have bothered disclosing that.

Everyone is 'depressed' these days, Selenz Gomez has just come out of rehab apparently suffering from anxiety and depression! Unless you have a history of self harm, or suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't have said anything. Everyone gets down about things at times, it's just part of life. You don't need to declare that you're a normal functioning human being.
It did occur to me that I didn't have to disclose this information as I doubt medical records are checked (not without permission I imagine). In fact, I left the box unchecked so I could discuss it with the physician on the day. He seemed undecided and I thought he would leave it at that but he asked for confirmation from my GP. The box remains unchecked.

Without clear guidance on this issue, I decided to wait until the medical for advice. It's a pain but the process is somewhat intimidating and I fret less if I feel I have followed due process even though, as you say, it is ridiculous that we are simply admitting to bring human (a very nice way you put it I thought). Well, I suppose the upside of this is that I am not Selena Gomez - I have enough troubles of my own without being rich and glamorous to add to my problems