Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview date moves closer... tension builds

Interview date moves closer... tension builds

Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview date moves closer... tension builds

I've spent the day preparing for my DCF interview in London, which is edging closer. Following lots of advice here I kept my I864 very simple, only using my wife's savings (since luckily make the grade).

My original documents (and copies) are in folders, though I don't know which order they'll be required. Should I keep them loose to hand over quickly? I've stapled the I864.

I haven't noticed anyone mention being asked for proof of marriage or intent to re-establish domicile? Perhaps I missed it. In readiness for this I have a good few photos for the marriage and around 30 print outs of freight, insurance and realtor correspondence for the domicile. Could I need more?

Money and accounts are such a fluid thing. Calculating finance for the I864 has been excrutiating for a dummy like me A ConOff may be able to quible over pennies and cents, but the bigger figures can't be easily disputed. My wife *has* the cash. We're relying on assets not income.

No tax has been filed over the last 3 years, but it wasn't required and we have documentation from an examining company to hopefully back that up.

My approach is to "train hard, and fight easy"

My next steps are to go over any difficult questions that may be asked and have a decent answer ready to reel off. I get nervous at these appointments and the only way to for me is preparation.

Any comments on the above more than welcome. Please tell me if I'm missing something.....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice
Default Re: Interview date moves closer... tension builds

Haha I'm in panic mode also and still 1 month 2 days away. Gold help us.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, gold probably *would* help us
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
My original documents (and copies) are in folders, though I don't know which order they'll be required. Should I keep them loose to hand over quickly? I've stapled the I864.
Just keep them in an order where you can easily find what you need. The ConOff will ask for items one at a time, you just need to find that item in your folders and hand it over. So keep them in whatever order makes the most sense to you.

I haven't noticed anyone mention being asked for proof of marriage or intent to re-establish domicile? Perhaps I missed it. In readiness for this I have a good few photos for the marriage and around 30 print outs of freight, insurance and realtor correspondence for the domicile. Could I need more?
Maybe, maybe not. Only the ConOff will know for sure. If you need more, she will give you time to collect more documents and return them to her. Your visa won't be denied because of lack of documentation.

Money and accounts are such a fluid thing. Calculating finance for the I864 has been excrutiating for a dummy like me A ConOff may be able to quible over pennies and cents, but the bigger figures can't be easily disputed. My wife *has* the cash. We're relying on assets not income.
The savings in your wife's account that she's using as an asset should not be fluid. It should be stable, and you should show that the amount has been stable in her account for some time (i.e., it wasn't just deposited in one big chunk a month ago). If it's a growing savings account, bring 6 months or a years' worth of bank statements, showing how the savings has been growing over time. If it WAS one big chunk deposit, be prepred to show how she came by that amount of money all at once (sale of property, inheritance payout, etc).

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice

Darn auto correct on mobile phone!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If it WAS one big chunk deposit, be prepred to show how she came by that amount of money all at once (sale of property, inheritance payout, etc).

Rene
My wife moved about $120K into the UK shortly after coming here, from her US account. I hadn't even considered they might question it's origins

She acquired it through inheritance. Both her parents died young unfortunately. Her mother died in 2002, and the money came in then.

Should we now try to track back and show where this came from originally? That's not going to be easy.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife moved about $120K into the UK shortly after coming here, from her US account. I hadn't even considered they might question it's origins

She acquired it through inheritance. Both her parents died young unfortunately. Her mother died in 2002, and the money came in then.

Should we now try to track back and show where this came from originally? That's not going to be easy.
How long ago did she transfer the money?

The reason the ConOff might question it, is that they don't want someone putting a chunk of money in your account to make it look good for immigration purposes, and then taking the money back after you immigrate.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 9th 2012 at 8:30 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

The money was transferred in August 2009 and April 2010, long before we had plans to move to the US. Do you think those dates are ok?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:40 pm

The money was transferred in August 2009 and April 2010, long before we had plans to move to the US. Do you think those dates are ok?
I think if you can bring 1 year's worth of bank statements (or even better, bring several bank statements per year since Aug 2009, plus April 2010, to-date), showing that the money has consistently remained in the savings account, that should be OK. If asked, you can explain where the money came from. If the ConOff wants to see more documentation, she'll give you time to get it and return it to her...but I doubt it, since it's been in there that long.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

ok I can do that. The money was moved into an Esaver for about 10 months inbetween to gain some interest. Incidentally we had problems setting up a good UK savings account for her so the that Esaver was in my name only. My wife obviously trusts me The UK savers wouldn't accept a US citizen.

However, that doesn't alter where the money came from i.e. her US account.

I guess a collection of bank statements will show a money trail, should a ConOff want to look at it, together with a written guide.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

I do have some statements showing where and when her money came into the UK, so actually that may suffice.
If I put a few years worth of statements on the counter, the ConOff may think I'm trying to be clever?

Our problem has been consistently low UK interest rates. This has made it very hard to get a return, and most decent rates only last 1 year from opening. Hence the cash being moved a bit.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Minor point of clarification - it's not a "ConOff" whose going to collect the documents, right? :-)

Regards, JEff

The ConOff will ask for items one at a time, you just need to find that item in your folders and hand it over. So keep them in whatever order makes the most sense to you.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Minor point of clarification - it's not a "ConOff" whose going to collect the documents, right? :-)

Regards, JEff
I don't know. When we had our interview (not in London), there was only one person we saw...she collected the documents and conducted the interview. She was the ConOff.

I guess London might have 2 people involved...a clerk who collects the documents, and the ConOff who conducts the interview.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

London normally asks for the documents in the order they are shown on the checklist.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Alex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really niceAlex3110 is just really nice

I don't know. When we had our interview (not in London), there was only one person we saw...she collected the documents and conducted the interview. She was the ConOff.

I guess London might have 2 people involved...a clerk who collects the documents, and the ConOff who conducts the interview.

Rene
Yes in London it seems to be a two step stage, the lady who collected my paperwork did not ask any questions, I was only questioned after I had sworn on oath at the second "window" which I presumed to be the ConOff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.