Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 visa issued - Questions about what's coming next.

CR1 visa issued - Questions about what's coming next.

Old Oct 9th 2015, 9:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 visa issued - Questions about what's coming next.

Originally Posted by NandF
Guys, that's brilliant! Thanks so much for your time and effort in responding, as always.
The 10 days deadline in applying for a licence - I get it now, it is if I'm planning on driving as soon as I arrive, which I'm not (I will leave that privilege to the other half ) I was just concerned because it sounded like I HAVE to do it then or else will loose the right to apply for it in the future, which didn't make sense to me (I will, however, apply for a driver's licence in due course, more likely in the new year)
About the taxes on the profit of the sale of our London home: yes, it is more likely to be over the mentioned threshold so I will for sure consult with a US-based tax guy. Just to be sure we are doing the right thing.

Now.... one more question if that's ok and I won't bother you guys any more! I am trying to get this exact info online but I am struggling to get the correct answer. The idea is to arrive in LA early next month, at that point get my passport stamped where my CR1 visa is (I believe that will be a temporary residence permit, valid for 1 year); then stay there for 4 weeks in order to get things done in regards to jobs, new home etc, THEN fly back to London early December for about 3 weeks, going back to LA for good just before NYE. My Green Card will probably be arriving at my designated US address by the time I'm back in London in December. Would that be an issue? I mean, in regards to be travelling outside the US before the Green Card arrives on the mail? Should I wait for it before I travel? Or will it be ok to re-enter the US without the Green Card in hand but with my passport stamped the the temporary one? I'm about to book those flights now and suddenly thought about this issue. I presume it will be ok but I rather check before I proceed. Thanks again in advance! Fred.
Not having the green card (BTW it is "conditional", for two years, not "temporary") before you travel is not a major issue. It is certainly possible to enter the US without it. ...... If you are going back to complete the sale of your flat, you might consider entering the US on the VWP in November (it is certainly possible, and others on BE have reported doing that), and not activate your PR status until you return in December. Assuming your entry in December will be within six months of your medical, that would take your gain on the flat out of the scope of US taxes.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 9:40 am
Just Joined

NandF is an unknown quantity at this point

Got it! Thanks for that, once again. I have to enter as a PR in November because my deadline for the medical is early December (my medical was done in June), I guess I will be ok re-entering the US in late December just with my passport + 1 year stamp, as explained before.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 9:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

....., I guess I will be ok re-entering the US in late December just with my passport + 1 year stamp, as explained before.
You're welcome.

That won't be a problem, I entered once without my green card. The CBP officer may send you for verification of your visa stamp; I wasn't even sent for verification, as, and I quote, "[I] don't fit the profile".
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your plan is fine. No issues.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, in regards to be travelling outside the US before the Green Card arrives on the mail?
But you will have a green card. The endorsement stamp on your visa is a green card. It even has the same form number. That stamp is valid proof of your status as a US permanent resident. Don't confuse the card (or endorsement stamp) with the status. The card (and endorsement stamp) is merely proof of that status - it's not the status itself. It's the status that's important!

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
But you will have a green card. The endorsement stamp on your visa is a green card. It even has the same form number. That stamp is valid proof of your status as a US permanent resident. Don't confuse the card (or endorsement stamp) with the status. The card (and endorsement stamp) is merely proof of that status - it's not the status itself. It's the status that's important! ......
But the status is "permanent resident", not "green card"; the two things are inextricably linked, but that does not mean that the words can be used interchangeably.

He will indeed be a permanent resident from the moment his passport is stamped, and having a green card is evidence of being a permant resident, but he won't "have a green card" until he has it in his hand (or I suppose if it arrives at his home while he is away in the UK, if you want to be picky ), though as you rightly point out receiving the physical green card doesn't impact his permanent resident status one way or the other.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2015 at 5:33 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The stamp in the passport is an I-551. The plastic card is an I-551. They are both "green cards". One is in the form of a stamp, one is in the form of a card, but they are exactly the same.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He will indeed be a permanent resident from the moment his passport is stamped, and having a green card is evidence of being a permant resident, but he won't "have a green card" until he has it in his hand...
Well then... we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

Spoiler:
.................. but I'm right!

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The stamp in the passport is an I-551. The plastic card is an I-551. They are both "green cards". One is in the form of a stamp, one is in the form of a card, but they are exactly the same. ....
I would contend that they're both I-551's, but only one is a green card.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

You are good to travel on your stamped visa, the CBP will explain this to you on POE, GC can take forever to turn up

You may not even go to secondary, my envelope was opened at the booth, was asked where are you living, Visa/Passport stamped welocme to USA

The stamp gives you travel rights for a year
Old Oct 9th 2015, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dj6372
The stamp gives you travel rights for a year
I understand what you mean but, as written, this simply isn't true. There is no right to travel, and only a US citizen has the right to enter the US.

Ian
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

NandF is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again peeps - very much appreciated! I think I KNOW now all I need to know about that famous Green Card.
I will now try and get advise on shipping companies (UK to California) since it's very confusing, but I reckon that's something to post on a different forum! Ta